Cracked shower tray

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by paul carter, Jan 24, 2015.

1. paul carter

paul carter Read Only Funster

my shower tray is developing cracks , is it worth getting it repaired or replacing

Attached Files:

2. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I only know that water leaking below the shower tray can lead to a whole lot of damp problems. Saw a motorhome in repair shop that was having major work done due to leaking shower tray.

I think you can have the tray coated which seals it and gives a new surface. Or it possibly needs more support beneath to prevent cracking?

More knowledgable than I will be along soon!

3. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

These chaps were at the October NEC motorhome show. I would contact them to see what they can do.
    http://speedcoateuro.com/

• Like Like x 1
  4. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

As Hollyberry said, they usually crack due to poor support from below. If you press down in various places, does it flex ?? One of our vans had the same problem, it needed a new tray but was given added support during the refitting process.
    PS. The tray was really thin when we saw it out on the floor..
    Just my opinion, the decision is obviously yours, but if you intend keeping the van and using the shower, why cut corners..
    Good luck.. Mitch..

5. Badknee

Badknee Funster

If you use the shower then it needs sorting and the people mentioned seem like a good idea. If you only use the loo and don't shower in it then I would be tempted to use some sealant so you could clean the area without water getting under the tray.

6. paul carter

paul carter Read Only Funster

We don't normally use it but you never know 1 day we may need to !

7. Badknee

Badknee Funster

That's true, so get it fixed properly. We don't use ours to shower only as a loo. We shower on site.

8. ebo

ebo Read Only Funster

Had our shower tray repaired by one of the agents for speedcoateuro.com last year, made a great job, cost about £300 but now much stronger than original.

9. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

The problems with replacing it are firstly trying to get one for your model of MH and then getting the old one out to fit the new one - a lot of washrooms need major dismantling to do this which costs a packet due to the labour involved. The speedcoat option will probably be cheaper and longer lasting as any replacement would probably still be made from thin materials like the original!

• Like Like x 1
  10. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

£300 to repair is well worth it
    When I traded last MH in there was a small crack which they noticed and wanted to knock off £750 till I told them I would get it repaired

• Like Like x 1
  11. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

We had our shower tray repaired by speedcoat, well worth the money a very professional job.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ambilkate

Ambilkate Funster Life Member

We had our done by a man in Hereford a bit cheaper . There is an old thread on Fun with the details an contact number . Other funsters have used him also . I all try and find link for you . I will have to do it later only bus at the minute . Unless anyone lose can find old thread for me :) regards Kate

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  13. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

In France last year I noticed a crack had appeared on the edge of the tray near to the loo. A slightly un-supported area. We use the shower almost daily so I needed to do a temporary fix. In a Super U I found some white waterproof tape. The tap did such a good job that I'm not going to bother doing anything else, I'd even challenge anyone to find the repaired piece!

Not saying it would work in all cases, just did for us and maybe worth mentioning as at least a temporary repair when away.