paul carter

Free Member
Jan 22, 2015
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
swift 630l
Exp
my shower tray is developing cracks , is it worth getting it repaired or replacing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 50

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I only know that water leaking below the shower tray can lead to a whole lot of damp problems. Saw a motorhome in repair shop that was having major work done due to leaking shower tray.

I think you can have the tray coated which seals it and gives a new surface. Or it possibly needs more support beneath to prevent cracking?

More knowledgable than I will be along soon!

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
As Hollyberry said, they usually crack due to poor support from below. If you press down in various places, does it flex ?? One of our vans had the same problem, it needed a new tray but was given added support during the refitting process.
PS. The tray was really thin when we saw it out on the floor..
Just my opinion, the decision is obviously yours, but if you intend keeping the van and using the shower, why cut corners..
Good luck.. Mitch..

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If you use the shower then it needs sorting and the people mentioned seem like a good idea. If you only use the loo and don't shower in it then I would be tempted to use some sealant so you could clean the area without water getting under the tray.

OP
OP
paul carter

paul carter

Free Member
Jan 22, 2015
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
swift 630l
Exp
We don't normally use it but you never know 1 day we may need to !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ebo

Nov 9, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class Carado i449
Exp
Since 2009
Had our shower tray repaired by one of the agents for speedcoateuro.com last year, made a great job, cost about £300 but now much stronger than original.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The problems with replacing it are firstly trying to get one for your model of MH and then getting the old one out to fit the new one - a lot of washrooms need major dismantling to do this which costs a packet due to the labour involved. The speedcoat option will probably be cheaper and longer lasting as any replacement would probably still be made from thin materials like the original!

Reactions: f6c

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
£300 to repair is well worth it
When I traded last MH in there was a small crack which they noticed and wanted to knock off £750 till I told them I would get it repaired

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We had our shower tray repaired by speedcoat, well worth the money a very professional job.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We had our done by a man in Hereford a bit cheaper . There is an old thread on Fun with the details an contact number . Other funsters have used him also . I all try and find link for you . I will have to do it later only bus at the minute . Unless anyone lose can find old thread for me :) regards Kate

Last edited:

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
In France last year I noticed a crack had appeared on the edge of the tray near to the loo. A slightly un-supported area. We use the shower almost daily so I needed to do a temporary fix. In a Super U I found some white waterproof tape. The tap did such a good job that I'm not going to bother doing anything else, I'd even challenge anyone to find the repaired piece!

Not saying it would work in all cases, just did for us and maybe worth mentioning as at least a temporary repair when away.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back