Cracked rear window

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Lot lover, May 28, 2016.

1. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

We opened the rear-facing top-hinged bathroom window but when we tried to close it one of the side rams stuck and it was the plastic window that gave up and cracked.

The price quoted by dealer to replace it is IMHO excessive so has anyone any advice as to where I can best begin searching to source my own replacement pls?

The MH is a 1999 Le Voyageur on a Ducato chassis though I cannot see that as relevant.

Many thanks in advance

2. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Try to find a caravan dismantler/ breaker.The window will almost certainly not be unique to Le Voyager.

3. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

EECO will make a custom window, you send them your cracked one they use it as a pattern to make a new one also colour matched so it will match existing windows if faded I think costs around £200 - £300.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

For that year of motorhome, the original window manufacturer will in all probability been bought up or sold to Dometic / Seitz window

depending on size ( can you measure it ? ) a complete new window with frame is between £250 and £450 .. supplied by Olearys Motorhomes.. there will be suppliers in France..

http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/index.asp?function=search

enter 'windows' in search box.

5. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

thank you for replies. Cannot measure at the mo as the MH is with the dealer in Toulouse for various bits under guarantee.

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

tell him the window should be covered in the guarantee .. it was clearly faulty and or the plastic brittle for it to fail in 'normal' use..

no doubt he will say 'non'.. but worth asking or even if he will pay part of the replacement cost

7. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Why are you looking for a window when it is under warranty, from what you say it looks like the faulty stay caused the problem so need to get heavy with the dealer.

8. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

I have told the dealer that it is their problem but as you may be aware after sales service/guarantee is a relatively new concept in France.

Checking for prices is a "just in case" scenario.

Having checked prices on O'Leary site it seems that my idea of excessive shows how new I am to the world of MH ownership.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

A faulty stay WONT break the window....heavy handed FORCING will though.
    In my book the stay may be warranty but not the window.
    If it was really stuck I would have disconnected it, or even cut it in half (it's bust anyway), to close the window.

10. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

At the time I thought that the stay was sticking rather than stuck - and IMHO did not believe that I was overly heavy handed when trying to close the window. Sadly the wonders of hindsight prove otherwise.

But if I did not make a mistake I would never learn anything, would I?

11. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

http://www.essexcaravanbreakers.co.uk/ I used this bloke last year. Mountains of them but you need to know length x width.
    He advertises most on ebay -There should be a link on the site

I picked up a 29" x 13,1/4" complete with all fittings for 50 quid as against some 230€ new.

There is also another big place in Wales somewhere but I've lost the link. No ,here it is;

http://www.caravanbreakers.net/index.php/9

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Not teaching anyone to suck eggs but you do realise that with the side stays, when closing, the windows have to be fully opened up to remove the locking effect so that they will close ?

13. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

One of the stays closed, otherwise window would have cracked in both corners. Also the bike rack severely limits the window opening.

But have now decided that, whatever the outcome, bathroom ventilation will have to be achieved with just the 2 ceiling vents.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Titley

Titley Funster

Broke a window on a motorhome I owned and rang insurance company , all covered under glass cover, just had to pay excess.