Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Skegness! Even the whales are committing suicide there! :(

Precisely my point, Young Graham. If the beach is big enough for whales to commit suicide on, think what you could do in a Hymer!! :)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

Monster thread drift DBK but 17 from the same pod have now washed up along a number of beaches from Denmark to Holland:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If it wasn't the sad truth I'd have liked that but gave it next best(y)
What did offend me were CND using their corpses as a bill board. It wasn't their message which was the problem, I can't disagree nuclear weapons are not nice things, but to use the whales as essentially advertising demeaned these magnificent creatures.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
My avatar is of a beach just north of Aguilas, you'll find it listed in CamperContact but the more famous beaches south of Aguilas I found singularly unimpressive when we visited them last May or June - packed with people and not very clean. Our guide books raved about the Cuatro Calas but they are a very mixed bunch. The one nearest the campsite does have nice sheltered swimming though, but perhaps not at this time of the year!
we find calabardina where your avatar pic is taken can smell awfull. its really just like aqua amarga . bad water . its got alot of some chemicals or phosphates in the natural water. the font water used to be totally undrinkable there thats how aqua amarga got its name.
it does get better if its been a dry time . like now.
but it can really stink.
there are nice places to stop. and some very good snorkelling and spear fishing to be had .
as for tipping waste use the sanimento drains and at least then its going in the right place.
its spelt something like that . or escoses in portugal , thats possibly spelt wrong as well.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So the UK is right and rest of Europe wrong with its network of 1000's of motorhome specific Aires. spent 3 months on a quiet beach in Greece, bread van and ice cream van turned up everyday.....we were one of three vans no one gave a toss. we are the most heavily policed nation in Europe...
So please, then, can you provide a few evidenced examples of specific sites in the UK where the creation of aires would be economically viable and why.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
There should be a crackdown on even considering Spain as a destination. Terrible place.

Now then, Skegness, as an alternative, has many advantages........(y)(y)(y)

Precisely my point, Young Graham. If the beach is big enough for whales to commit suicide on, think what you could do in a Hymer!! :)

I think if I ever had to go to Skegness, I'd probably do the same........

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
York, , Bath, Bristol

The evidence is in its obvious nature. York in particular - you can never get on Rowntree park.

Its not rocket science this Graham.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
So please, then, can you provide a few evidenced examples of specific sites in the UK where the creation of aires would be economically viable and why.
Bristol could probably host several economically viable aires.
There are a few cl/cs scattered around the outskirts, the only other option is the CC site at Baltic Wharf, which as many will be aware is due to close.
As an example, a small aire, say 10 places, in central Bristol would likely be full most days.
At say £10/night/vehicle you'd be looking at annual revenue £300k plus.

Park and ride at Avonmouth - empty most days. Next door to the M5 and bus links / cycle path straight into town. It's a no brainer.
Park and ride at Brislington - there is space (traveller's currently occupying a large corner). Located on the A4, great bus links to Bristol and Bath. Again a no brainer !

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There are a few cl/cs scattered around the outskirts, the only other option is the CC site at Baltic Wharf, which as many will be aware is due to close.
As an example, a small aire, say 10 places, in central Bristol would likely be full most days.

Park and ride at Avonmouth - empty most days. Next door to the M5 and bus links / cycle path straight into town. It's a no brainer.
Park and ride at Brislington - there is space (traveller's currently occupying a large corner). Located on the A4, great bus links to Bristol and Bath. Again a no brainer !
I'm sure you are right about the popularity of an aire in central Bristol but where is there space for one in central Bristol? Even if space could be found wouldn't the capital cost of acquiring the land be far too high to make an aire economical?

Are the P&R sites really practical? At Avonmouth (Portway) the last bus back in the evening is 8:48pm (7pm Saturday and nothing on Sunday) and at Brislington the last bus back is 8:44pm (7:09 Saturday and nothing on Sunday). Are those really practical times for an aire, the aim of which is to give access to the city centre?

Why are there only a few CLs scattered round the outskirts? Is it because there are no suitable sites for others or that opening others would not be economically viable.

As a local resident you can probably answer those questions easier than I can. If you still think they are no-brainers why not get in touch with the elected mayor and set up a meeting with him to discuss it?

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
What did offend me were CND using their corpses as a bill board. It wasn't their message which was the problem, I can't disagree nuclear weapons are not nice things, but to use the whales as essentially advertising demeaned these magnificent creatures.

Seconded, almost as sad, people taking selfies with their children.
Edited for clarity, with a dead cetacean as a backdrop!:(

Last edited:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
York, , Bath, Bristol

The evidence is in its obvious nature. York in particular - you can never get on Rowntree park.

Its not rocket science this Graham.

Seconded. Tried to book 10 days in Septemnber in Rowntree as we have a trip from York Station booked. No chance every single weekend block booked.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Disagree I love a good selfie with my children it means we are all in the photo together!!(y)

Don't think you read the quote Anthea, selfies with children for those who are lucky enough to have them, wonderful. With the back drop of a dead Cetacean.............nope I don't think so.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Until recently the Redbridge P&R in Oxford had a small parking area for motorhomes. No overnight parking was allowed. Recently, because of the new St Ebbe's shopping mall development, coaches have had to park at Redbridge and an open-all- hours, no barrier area has been available for them.

It's remarkable the number of overnighting motorhomes seen there most nights: clearly a demand even though there are pleasant CL s nearby and the C&CC site across the road. There are no prohibition notices up as the whole thing is rather temporary. It might be that, come summer when the coach area is busier, that measures are taken to keep it free of motorhomes during the day anyway.

This P&R changes hands fairly often but I hope the council, who currently control it, are more willing to be flexible about this once they see that no damage comes and that local residents are not flocking to complain. The county, who had it until last year, used to worry that they would.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Don't think you read the quote Anthea, selfies with children for those who are lucky enough to have them, wonderful. With the back drop of a dead Cetacean.............nope I don't think so.
Sorry hadn't read the previous ones about dead people in selfies yes it's disgusting.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002

£300k more like £36500.00 at prices quoted.
Do you think all the local rate payers would be happy to have other services cut so that money is diverted for overnight motorhome stays.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Back on topic ....

We have just filled up with Diesel, food and wine :) in Aguilas and stopped on the West beach for lunch. The place is steaming and looks like a motorhome ghetto! We don't want to sit here like sitting ducks so we're off...

On our way to Cabo de Gata :)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Not dead yet but you should see some of @Robert Clark's selfies of him killing himself with food and drink! #jealous
:):):)
I miss @Robert Clark 's food selfies I was eating vicariously through his blog! Don't they eat at home?!:whistle: Oops I've gone off topic better go to chat room and talk to myself!

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
One observation,"We are all taxpayers",true,but LOCAL people foot the bill for all their councils activities,so when there is no money for a proper bus service,village halls/even allotments are being subsidised,playing fields being sold off and houses built that the majority of villagers cannot afford.
Nimby ?. Deputy chairman of the local 4 villages,objected to a housing development on the grounds it would,"Spoil the ruriality ? of the village". On asking where it was to be,it was opposite his house...
This may come as a surprise to some,but not everybody loves m/homes and or motorhomers,so,if at a local parish council meeting,the chairman says,"There is X amount of money in the pot,lets have a vote for an extra bus,or Aire/m/home area?" Don't be surprised if the bus gets the vote.
Vast numbers of UK m/momers go across the channel in the summer,to spend their time and money and laze in the sun. Packaged holidays abroad are overbooked,people want the promise of sun and beaches. Whereas the P/holiday maker is bound by weight restrictions on the plane,some m/homers load up their vans with wine,cheeses etc.so THEIR local shops miss out....
The hardest places to get planning permission for a C.L-C.S. are in the places of natural beauty,and you think that by keep saying the words to the average Waller in their flourescent jacket." Aires, We motorhomers are a well heeled Bunch?LOL, make provision for us in your town/village,and we MAY ? just visit you on odd occasions,perhaps not in the summer and the snowbirds saying,and not us in the winter ?
If Aires were a viable proposition dont you think that by now you would be spoilt for choice and spaces being offered at 7 nights for the price of 6 ? There is no profit to be made,for the locals who pay their taxes,and fund the area,or the business man out to make a few bob.
Tea Bag

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Perhaps another tack is for all of us to highlight a place or places where other funsters could park overnight for say one night without causing problems.
In our village there is such a place with access to both public toilets and drinking water. Since some less than aware individual in a motorhome put mixed house hold refuse into the gardening waste (which had then to be sorted by hand) there have been suggestions at Parish Council level that no overnight parking signs should be put up. These have come to nothing so far and last spring and summer vans regularly stopped without problem. The site is level and there are two pubs, one of which does pretty good meals, a post office and village store well within walking distance. What do people think?

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Until recently the Redbridge P&R in Oxford had a small parking area for motorhomes. No overnight parking was allowed. Recently, because of the new St Ebbe's shopping mall development, coaches have had to park at Redbridge and an open-all- hours, no barrier area has been available for them.

It's remarkable the number of overnighting motorhomes seen there most nights: clearly a demand even though there are pleasant CL s nearby and the C&CC site across the road. There are no prohibition notices up as the whole thing is rather temporary. It might be that, come summer when the coach area is busier, that measures are taken to keep it free of motorhomes during the day anyway.

This P&R changes hands fairly often but I hope the council, who currently control it, are more willing to be flexible about this once they see that no damage comes and that local residents are not flocking to complain. The county, who had it until last year, used to worry that they would.

Will be using it again shortly Eeyore so thanks for the update. Will be staying over the road though(y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Perhaps another tack is for all of us to highlight a place or places where other funsters could park overnight for say one night without causing problems.
In our village there is such a place with access to both public toilets and drinking water. Since some less than aware individual in a motorhome put mixed house hold refuse into the gardening waste (which had then to be sorted by hand) there have been suggestions at Parish Council level that no overnight parking signs should be put up. These have come to nothing so far and last spring and summer vans regularly stopped without problem. The site is level and there are two pubs, one of which does pretty good meals, a post office and village store well within walking distance. What do people think?
It sounds like this is a case of unofficial tolerance rather than official permission. I would not publicise such a place formally because if it were to become too popular as a result then it would attract more "less than aware" people and the signs would soon go up. Share it just amongst those you can trust not to mess it up for the rest.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
It sounds like this is a case of unofficial tolerance rather than official permission. I would not publicise such a place formally because if it were to become too popular as a result then it would attract more "less than aware" people and the signs would soon go up. Share it just amongst those you can trust not to mess it up for the rest.

Agreed.(y)

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
In the Thames-side town in which I live we have 5 nights free mooring for pleasure boaters. This is the only town on the Thames to do this. The move was made to attract people to the town to spend. For a substantial part of the year these town moorings are full and evidence is that they bring in money, via food shopping, eating in town or buying fuel.

About 50 m from the river bank, in one shaded, quiet private corner of a vast car park, there is an unused lorry parking area ( lorries prefer not to pick their way off the A34 through narrow streets and a busy town to park there, however attractive and quiet). There are pubs and pleasant walks within a short distance, public toilets, rubbish disposal water and good bus services too. It's all very scenic.

Motorhomers stopping there are asked to phone a council number before overnighting and buy a ticket, at £ 7.50 for 24 hours. It is listed in Camperstop etc

It costs no more to maintain this motorhome area than to maintain the busy car park which it joins and which must be self-supporting. Maintaining the town owned river bank however costs quite a lot as flooding and a heavy boat traffic takes its toll.

Town councillors however are not prepared to make the "aire" free as they do not perceive motorhomers as bringing anything much other than extra traffic to an already overburdened town and they don't look very pretty either when parked ! Ive also seen motorhomers say that they are not prepared to pay £7.50 for even the most attractive of parking place if it has no facilities. Some will park on rather dangerous laybys off the A34 however, but they are free.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back