Covered up the bus... feeling sad. (1 Viewer)

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
After the brief visit to Sheppey recently (I can't recommend it - sorry Sheppey) we decided to wait for a dry day and put the cover on the old girl.

All the liquidy stuff was emptied out, trays of cat litter were placed here and there, cupboards were opened, and the cover was strapped over the old girl to keep her warm.

We tried to find places to visit over the winter but the dogs can only soak up so much water and mud, and having to turn the tv up to 65 to beat the sound of rain on the roof was just too much.

I now feel inexplicably sad. Does this happen to everyone?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I don't cover mine up Simon as I have it on a farm compound and need to drive it every couple of weeks for a few hours .... but yes, feel sad once it gets to the time to protect against mice knowing it won't be used for a while ...:( Having said that and having had a few holidays in winter in it locally where the weather was awful, I wondered at my sanity.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I don't cover mine up Simon as I have it on a farm compound and need to drive it every couple of weeks for a few hours .... but yes, feel sad once it gets to the time to protect against mice knowing it won't be used for a while ...:( Having said that and having had a few holidays in winter in it locally where the weather was awful, I wondered at my sanity.

You have a double floor in your van Joy!

When are you coming skiing?:)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Nope. We go all year round. Though we only have two border terriers , their paws and bellies don't take much wiping down with a towel.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
We've just sorned ours for the first time ever:swear2:, I am a trifle peed off doing it
However !(y),
We live in a beautiful part of the World, there's much to see, and it's the time of year where there are not too many Emmets around the place getting in the way, and France is only 6 1/2 hours away by ferry, Cottages are cheap to rent too!(y)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Nope, we've always caravanned all year in all but the worst of snow and ice - we are expecting it to be easier with the mh.

We have two dogs too - probably have to be a bit more organised about how you're going to get stuff dry. We've just had a very muddy weekend in the New Forest(y)

I would've thought all along the south coast would've been pretty good for what you're looking for. Can't remember if you're in the cc but their facilities are good for winter - there's a list here

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Yes, felt very sad at SORNing Buffy when the VED came due. Martin is still working so a trip south for the winter can't happen this year. We tend to get snowed in at various points over the winter and decided that rather than not be able to get home we would not use the van over the worst months of the year.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Nope, we've always caravanned all year in all but the worst of snow and ice - we are expecting it to be easier with the mh.

We have two dogs too - probably have to be a bit more organised about how you're going to get stuff dry. We've just had a very muddy weekend in the New Forest(y)

I would've thought all along the south coast would've been pretty good for what you're looking for. Can't remember if you're in the cc but their facilities are good for winter - there's a list here

I've got plenty of time off next year when we have plans to go back to the New Forest and Devon, but while I'm working we just get two or three days a week to go gallivanting, which restricts the distance I'm prepared to drive. When you live on an extremity there's only so many directions you can go.

Were not in the CC but, apparently, the CL site we stayed at on Sheppey was CC only. Nobody asked, neither did their site mention it. Is membership often checked?

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Yes, felt very sad at SORNing Buffy when the VED came due. Martin is still working so a trip south for the winter can't happen this year. We tend to get snowed in at various points over the winter and decided that rather than not be able to get home we would not use the van over the worst months of the year.

The front wheels were spinning on wet grass today, when I moved it over to one side of the garden! There's no chance of us venturing out on frozen stuff :)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Can you tell me if you can SORN your van when it is in a farm compound on the farm? It isn't on the road is it, so maybe I have been losing out here.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
The front wheels were spinning on wet grass today, when I moved it over to one side of the garden! There's no chance of us venturing out on frozen stuff :)
Moved ours from one side of the garden to the other yesterday as well. I did the driving and he did the directing... lucky I wasn't following his advice that closely as he often meant the other left (and no, it was him and not me).

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Can you tell me if you can SORN your van when it is in a farm compound on the farm? It isn't on the road is it, so maybe I have been losing out here.
Please check before you take this as Gospel Joy but as long as you don't use it on a public road I think it can be SORNed.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
From www.gov.uk

Make a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) if you don’t use or keep your vehicle on a public road, eg you keep it in a garage, on a drive or on private land.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Will try and use ours if we get some half decent weather, just keep it drained down. I like to give it a run out every couple of weeks because I don't think it does them any good to stand around for to long.
It will get a good run the end of December as we are off to Cheltenham for the new year meet.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I've got plenty of time off next year when we have plans to go back to the New Forest and Devon, but while I'm working we just get two or three days a week to go gallivanting, which restricts the distance I'm prepared to drive. When you live on an extremity there's only so many directions you can go.

Were not in the CC but, apparently, the CL site we stayed at on Sheppey was CC only. Nobody asked, neither did their site mention it. Is membership often checked?

Ooh now that's a can of worms:D. Cl's and the c&cc equivalent are just folk that have a bit of land to spare. The clubs issue licences for 5 'vans and the site is listed in the members book/website. Some owners really develop their sites and have full facilities, others can be just a field....and everything in between. Yes they should check but many don't. Apart from a site inspection I don't think the clubs offer any kind of support to the cl owners.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
We Sorn ours last November but took it back off in January and then went away for a few week ends. (y)
Sorry to be a nuisance, but how does SORN work please? Say I have the van off the road for three months, when I put it back on the road again do I receive a rebate for the months it was off the road, or do they add three months to the date when the renewal is due? Thank you.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Joy I'll ring you sorn'd the Merc, no problem. :Smile:
Pp

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
When we book we are often asked if we are members but have only once been asked for our membership cards.
We've been asked for our membership number when we've booked a handful of times. Only once (on a cs) we were asked to show our card and it all got entered in their book.
It is a contentious issue on the cc forum.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Went to Glastonbury over the weekend (fantastic!). Had to be pulled off the field by a tractor (first time ever) but that wont stop us using the MH - just be a little more careful when it starts to get a bit frosty knowing the Pug doesn't dig its front paws in too well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back