covenants banning parking of motorhome on driveway

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by patch, Aug 3, 2014.

1. patch

patch Read Only Funster

We want to move house so that we can have bigger drive to park MH. Yesterday after a house viewing we were told that there was a covenant banning the parking of caravans , motorhomes etc. Anyone had this problem?

2. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

Many houses do - ours is 40 years old and has the same. Apparently put in place to stop builders staying on site after the work had been done - or something like that.

I was told by our solicitor that it would be difficult to enforce - even more difficult if the motorhome or caravan was not causing an obstruction or blocking light etc.

3. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

covenants can apparently only be enforced by the person who original placed the covenant on the deed or a direct descendant. Going to court to get a covenant removed apparently is extremely expensive

• Like Like x 1
  4. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

My covanant was put in place in 1977 - no caravans.
    But when I checked with my local solicitor, she said that it would be really difficult to enforce,
    moreso, as several neighbours have caravans and motorhomes on their front.

Some of the more expensive/upmarket areas also have a no workvan covenant, which I have heard of being enforced by the selling agents.

5. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

Too many stupid old laws in place that need to be removed and replaced with one called "Common Sense"

• Like Like x 2
  6. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Rules are for the guidance of wise men, and the obedience of fools - apparently;)

• Like Like x 6
  7. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Same here - covenant in place around our and neighbouring houses as well. No caravans, boats or chickens. All of those around here.......

We did check to make sure that the neighbours were ok with us parking the van on the drive before we hot the first one. No issues.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

The key point to establish is who is the beneficiary of the covenant. Sometimes it is the original builder/developer, but sometimes its also includes other owners on the estate. If its the former its only to keep the estate looking good while they sell the rest of the houses, once the estate has been complete there are not interested. However if its the later then any owner can enforce it at any time. Whether the courts would consider the breach of the covenant sufficiently serious to grant an injunction is another matter.

• Like Like x 1
  9. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

These covenants are often put in by the developers so the houses look pretty while they are still trying to sell them. For example if they build two houses next to each other, sell one and the new owner puts a huge MH on the drive they may struggle to sell the second one. As others have said you can probably ignore it as the original covenant owner would probably now struggle to prove any financial loss.

10. cydersyd

cydersyd Funster

I had the same experience, however, my solicitor told me that the covenant only remains in force as long as the builder of the property remains in business. If he retires the covenant dies. If however he sells his business to another builder and he continues to operate, then the covenant remains in force, but probably not enforceable.

11. Pikeman

Pikeman Funster

We bought our current house 18 months ago. The covenant on it forbids setting up a brick manufacturing yard and the sale of intoxicating liquor. What a bummer - we were going to start a firm called Brickabooze!

• Like Like x 9
  12. JJ

JJ Funster

As a Rufty Tufty, Freeloading, Offsite Parking, Full Timing Tosser (but never been asked to move on) this thread once again draws my attention to my own rule one.

Houses and Motorhomes don't get on with each other.

It appears that sometimes they don't get on even when you are the owner of BOTH!

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  13. icantremember

icantremember Funster

When in 2009 we bought our current bungalow which was built in 1997 we were told,at the last moment by our solicitor, that the builders had put a covenant on it to say no caravans and he suggested we drop the purchase..... I was not amused.

The builder is still in existence, so a quick phone call to them and the covenant was confirmed as still holding.

However, fortunately we have space alongside the bungalow and they were happy for us to park our m/h there so long as it was behind the building line and closed gates.

14. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

A covenant to stop you parking a motorhome on your own drive always seems daft to me , as long as it's taxed etc you could park it on the road outside of the house and upset people quite ok.

15. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Modern covenants, re caravans, MHs and work vans are taken out for the whole development including roads

16. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Surely once the road is adopted by the council for maintenance etc it's nothing to do with the builders. It just seems odd you pay a lot of money for a house and you are told what you can do with it just as if you was renting it. Still it's a strange world.

17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Not quite. You are actually told what you can/can't do before buying. If people buy knowing the restrictions then that is their decision. I'm pretty sure few (if any) people are actually forced to buy a particular property.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Simply buy a house that predates the internal combustion engine!
    No covenants, no problems!!!!!:BigGrin:

19. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

I agree nobody forces you to buy a house , just strange that's all. Still I can hardly see the police coming round if it's in the road or on your drive.

20. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

It's not the police that will be interested, If neighbours object they could take legal action to make you comply with the covenant. Not likely but possible