Couple's shock at stowaway who 'clung on for 100 miles'

Discussion in 'Motorhomes in the News' started by ShiftZZ, Sep 8, 2014.

1. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

A stowaway clung on for 100 miles underneath the motorhome of a couple returning to the Vale of Glamorgan following a holiday in France.
    Friends following Geoff and Chris Mullin, from Barry, told them they saw someone's leg under their vehicle.
    When they stopped at congestion on the M25 in Surrey they were startled to see a man jump out onto the hard shoulder.
    A shocked Mrs Mullin said: "He just stared in the window quite insolently and just carried on walking."
    The couple and their friends Malcolm and Chris Bell were returning home to south Wales from France on Tuesday when they realised what had happened.
    The Mullins think their uninvited passenger had climbed onto the axle as they prepared to leave Calais via the Channel Tunnel.
    After arriving at Folkestone, they travelled along three motorways at speeds of up to 65mph and did not stop for nearly two hours until they came to a traffic jam near Cobham services on the M25 in Surrey.
    [​IMG] The Mullins and the Bells discuss the eventful end to their holiday
    [​IMG]
    The Bells thought they saw someone's leg underneath the Mullins's vehicle
    Mr Mullin said: "Suddenly I looked at the side and I could see a gentleman walking along the hard shoulder - I turned to Chris and said, blimey, there must have been somebody under there."
    His wife added: "We all thought 'where's he come from on the hard shoulder on the M25?'
    "But he wasn't fazed at all - he just stared in the window quite insolently and just carried on walking."
    Renewed concern about illegal immigration to the UK via Calais has prompted a Home Office offer of support to the French authorities to tackle the problem.
    Immigration Minister James Brokenshire has said the UK could give France the 9ft-high steel fences used at the Nato summit in Newport to improve security at the Channel port.
    On Thursday a woman from Kent was shocked when a young man climbed out from behind the front seat of her car when she returned home from France.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29110837

• Like Like x 2
  2. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

motorhomers cant wait to get away from UK while immigrants cant wait to get in

• Like Like x 4
  3. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Rear wheel drive vans like the Rapido in the article do tend to have a bit more space under them.
    Our Transit is similar. It is easy for maintenance but looks a bit inviting for illegal immigrants and catalytic converter thieves.
    I'll be checking ours in Calais!

• Like Like x 1
  4. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I think these are funsters, there was a mention I think in the thread that Jim culled, I think so anyway, tried to find the original and cant (but nothing new there) (y)

5. chaser

chaser Funster

don't think it was,that was flying Scotsman and he was on his own and comes from brum

6. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Should we start a new thread?

'How many immigrants climbed out from under YOUR van?'

I wonder what the record will be?!:Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Roryboys Dad

Roryboys Dad Read Only Funster

We had a similar incident in August with an immigrant clinging to the underside of our Motorhome.

The illegal could have climbed off at both at Maidstone and Newton Pagnell when we stopped for a brew but clung on until we arrived home – a distance of 220 miles.

We thought about reporting it to the Immigration authorities but she's such a good cook, does all the washing and ironing, hoovering and make a damn good cup of tea and all for a pittance of pay we thought we'd keep her until she wants to move on.

Immigrant 1.jpg Everyone should have a French Maid – don't you think?

• Like Like x 8
  8. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Blimey, as if illegals from the Horn of Africa aren't enough, now we've got Klingons.

Klingons = "Cling ons"? Ahahahaha?

Oh suit yourselves - I'll get my coat.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

I dare not comment watt I am thinking but the poor soles must be desperate that's the liberal coming out in me.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    A haulier was recently fined around £9000 when illegals where discovered on his vehicle and not having written documentation of pre embarkation checks.Have these motorhomers been subject to the same rules regarding pre embarkation checks and fines?

12. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

They don't fine hauliers now.and u don't get written documentation u never did.

13. matamoros

matamoros Funster

No??? From Commercial Motor 9/9/14

http://www.commercialmotor.com/latest-news/kgb-transport-fighting-£9-000-stowaways-penalty

"A haulage firm is fighting civil penalties totalling more than £9,000 after 16 stowaways were found inside one of its trucks."

And the driver!!

"Kings Lynn-based KGB Transport said its driver is also facing an £8,000 bill after the immigrants were discovered in its vehicle at Calais."

"However, he said he was concerned about the outcome because there was no written documentation of the checks made by the driver."

"We have done our checks manually but we haven’t made the documentation"

The written documentation is done by the driver to show that certain checks have been carried out but it is not official documentation

14. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

The checks are made by the customs and immigration officers they have the means to do the checks. If the driver suspects he has a stowaway on board or his trailor has been tampered with he or she must report it. Wats the point of having all this equipment if u don't use it. But there no documentation for it. No won would ever put there name to a doc if he or the company was sure all the fail safe measures was there to stop them getting on board. I know cos I ran 36 truck into Europe for yrs. the commercial motor magazine are often wrong.

15. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Well, you just can't believe anything you read in the papers these days:)

16. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

Yes but remember it's the BBC ........they never let the facts get in the way of a story

17. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

Maybe it was a rapido technician doing some adjustments :) ........very efficient

• Like Like x 1