Couple of things in PC-Pro (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi just bought the mag and looking through it some things cam to mind: somebody said "multimedia role in living rooms more and more, and PC tat in yucky or boring plastic just doesn't do it." just thought I would suggest you look at the Sony Vaio VGC-LT1S http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/128831/sony-vaio-vgclt1s.html

The next thing is the ASUS Eee PC701 laptop £215, slow processor but apart from that all the usual stuff, runs Linux, just shows how much money that Mac and Windows make out of their systems if you can produce a laptop for this sort of money. http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/133848/asus-eee-pc-701.html

And finally the BBC are only releasing a limited version of iPlayer for Mac's and Linux, instead of the full one that windows users get, have to say as a public funded body I don't agree with this. Now that surprised you didn't it.::bigsmile:

To tell the truth........................whats an iPlayer?:Blush:

Olley

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
And finally the BBC are only releasing a limited version of iPlayer for Mac's and Linux, instead of the full one that windows users get, have to say as a public funded body I don't agree with this. Now that surprised you didn't it.::bigsmile:

To tell the truth........................whats an iPlayer?:Blush:

Olley

BBC :

I have an Apple Macintosh. Can I get BBC iPlayer?

Currently we’re not able to make programmes available for download to Apple Macintosh computers.

This is because the Digital Rights Management (DRM) system we use to protect against illegal downloading and copying, which we’ve agreed with the rights holders, does not work with Apple computers.

Apple has its own rights management system which is not available for providers like the BBC to use. We regret this inconvenience and are working to find a way to include Apple computers in the future.

Well.. it's all to do with DRM aparantly ... :RollEyes::RollEyes:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Ah the good old institution of the BBC.

Living in the Dark Ages.:Doh:
Very surprised they've even heard of an Apple Mac.

And if you want to watch with a Mac you have the choice 'Real Player' or 'Windoze Media player' .. One full of spyware the other a load of cack ... nuff said

Have they never heard of Quick Time .. ? :Doh:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Dell have a special offer on at present for high spec PCs and well specced laptops at £249 exc VAT - as per a flyer sent to my company today. Obviously either there's a major new upgrade in hardware due soon, or the credit crunch means that too few PCs are being shifted at present....it may be a good time for PC buyers to renew old hardware.

For those who want to read a DECENT computer magazine, forget PC Pro and buy something decent like Macworld - the eye candy of Mac hardware makes Sony Vaios look like the computer equivalent of a Vauxhall Nova. :ROFLMAO:Each to his/her own - we're all entitled to our own opinions. Most PC tat (not all, note) looks tasteless or boring in my opinion and I certainly would not want it in my living room. :RollEyes:

By the way, for Linux afficionados or those who just want to experiment with some old hardware - theres a new version of Xubuntu out which runs even on ancient hardware and will make a useful printserver or firewall or just a way of whiling away dark winter evenings while learning new stuff using archaic stuff that would otherwise just add to landfill!!:thumb:

Laurie.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi the really impressive thing I thought was the Asus, £215 sounds like a bargain for a portable, just the job for taking into macdonalds for the free wi-fi to surf the net. ::bigsmile: seriously thinking of getting one.

Another thing item caught by attention, 500gig disc £65 notes :whatthe: thats half a terrabyte, I remember when a 10mb disc was £300

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back