Couple of questions from a newbie... (1 Viewer)

Tiffer

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Leonard
Funster No
MH
Looking...
Exp
Wannabe Newbie
Hi Everyone,

The 'newbie' refers to my status in terms of registration. Have yet to take the plunge on a MH, but it's moving towards becoming a reality [read: my wife said at the weekend something like "...actually a motorhome would be quite cool, we could..." etc etc] which means that the serious investigation can take place, rather than wistful 'vitual' tyre-kicking.

Which leads me to a couple of questions (actually, I have loads but I'll refrain from listing them all here!), and they've been prompted by something someone (a former MH owner) said, in that motorhoming has become a) more expensive [reference pitches and running costs] and b) less spontaneous [needing to book well in advance at campsites].

Could I ask, what is your experience of this?
What are the opportunities for 'wild camping' and should it be encouraged, or avoided?

Also, if someone can point me to posts/links of good first steps for selecting/shortlisting suitable MHs, then I'd be grateful.

Thanks for your help and congrats on a great forum.
::bigsmile:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi and welcome:thumb: if it were not for wild camping I wouldn't bother:winky: as for motorhomes, if you have no idea as to what you want then do what we did and hire a couple of different layouts:thumb:

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
We hired before taking the plunge and buying. Different layouts are a beginners night mare or were for us. As for wild a ping it seems as if you take your chance in this country as apparently not liked or that is our experience.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T

Tiffer

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Leonard
Funster No
MH
Looking...
Exp
Wannabe Newbie
Thanks, Tim.

if it were not for wild camping I wouldn't bother:winky:

Forgive the possible stupid question, but what are the restrictions about wild camping - can it be really be a simple as finding somewhere level? Does it have to be private property?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
become a) more expensive [reference pitches and running costs] and b) less spontaneous [needing to book well in advance at campsites].
::bigsmile:

A lot depends on time of year. Jul/Aug even Sept prices are high and sites can be full.

The UK is limited on good sites, the popular ones can be booked by Easter.

Wild camping is a black art. Some thrive on it, so they say.

But there are excellent times to be had.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
hi and welcome to the site, Jim, the site owner has written a motorhome buyers guide, details found in his signature, that book will more than save you the cost of it. As to costs of course they are rising all motoring costs are, but then so are the prices of package deals and wages so whats new.
I have wilded since 1967ish without a problem. Your van needs to be power dependant to do this, think solar. As to booking in advance, I cannot speak for other sites but ours always has space for anyone who just turns up, not been full yet.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome

We have been motorhoming for around 4 years now and do a bit of both we use sites and wild camp, we have a 15 year old daughter so we like to mix and match our sites sometimes we like city sites like York and Edinburgh and sometimes like last weekend we like to stay on a small CL site at a cost of £10 including hook up and 5 mins from village pub.

We have also been to mainland Europe and its ideal for motorhoming as just about every country apart from the UK has specific places for you to saty overnight loads free and some with a small charge, you could actually do a few weeks holiday without spending any money on sites.

As for layout i'd look at loads of vans and try sitting in them imagining your watching tv reading your book or whatever you do and see if you can all sit comfy. We have an elddis 130 and although we love it and layout was ideal for us now as our daughter is getting older we are looking to change for something different so will probably sell current NH first.

Gerry

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Hi
I started motorhoming again a year ago, through last winter, spring and over to France/Spain twice, always found a space on sites, sometimes we were on our own!

Apart from sites there are CLs (Caravan Club) and CSs (Camping and Caravanning Club) which are smaller sites - you have to be a member but not expensive though - so plenty of places to go - you should always be able to find a place to stay - and you can always check ahead

As for motorhome - layout is key - how many sleeping? - fixed bed? ..........look at as many as you can - just do it!
Good luck

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Thanks, Tim.

Forgive the possible stupid question, but what are the restrictions about wild camping - can it be really be a simple as finding somewhere level? Does it have to be private property?

I usualy try to find somewhere quiet, B road, well away from houses and as far of the road as poss, level, but obviously with no parking restictions. I never stay more than one or very occasionaly two nights:thumb: If it has a view then all the better:winky:

Itchyfeet

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
lancashire/yorkshire
Funster No
MH
citroen relay lwb hightop
Exp
20 years
Hi, Welcome, I'm new here too.::bigsmile: I've been vanning for years and had several motorhomes.... Some key points are definately the comfort of the bed. We've had vans with superb layout but bed so uncomfortable! Obviously height, width, length, as depending on where you'd like to go this can affect costs of ferries etc... If like us you want to get off the beaten track and onto tiny lanes and b roads a great big coach built not so good.....will you want to carry bikes? A back door opening coachbuilt no good then...for a bike rack you'd have to put them inside. Oh there's so much to think about isn't there!? lol Like others have said get to a dealers or a show and have a much about. Also you don't have to go in at the top end, all our vans have been under 8 grand and each have had their own merits, all have held their value and have sold well after years of use, so even if you do make a faux pas you can always sell on after a few months if the van isn't for you.:Smile:

We have wilded a lot...some places easier than others, but this is our preferred method, we're very quiet and discreet and respectful. Also do sites too, now and then to fill up and empty out etc...:winky:

Oh I wish you all the luck, you lucky things, a new van is SOOOO exciting.

Let us know how you get on.:thumb:

CatherineF

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Ford Herald
Exp
1Year
When I decided to buy a second hand motorhome I was overwhelmed by the sheer volume. However I found it much much easier once I had decided on the model, so i would advise researching that first. I think it is a great idea to hire first but I jumped straight in and took the plunge.

I like my comforts and although I haven't been motoring homing for long have found some really nice reasonable small sites. The main problem is not having the time to get away as much as I'd like.

Good luck and nothing can beat drinking a cup of tea made in your own motorhome.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
everything is more expensive...not just motorhoming.

as for pre-booking well in advance, Why ?

If one site is full there's always another just down the road which may not be. :thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Takes a long time to find the right rig

It takes a long time to find the right rig.. you need to look at many.. a show or two may help... look on Ebay for examples, or go and visit some dealers.

Read back posts on MHF... lots of info.

Will it be right for you? who knows until you try... I started over 25 years ago and still have an RV (well until it is collected by a new owner) .. but I am buying another.. once you have one, you will keep buying them, as there is always another better one to hunt for.

Bob

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Tiffer, welcome to the Fun. For wild camping take a look at this article I wrote in JanuaryBroken Link Removed ::bigsmile:You'll also find details about the Motorhome Buyers Guide in my signature:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Tiffer, welcome to the Fun. For wild camping take a look at this article I wrote in JanuaryBroken Link Removed ::bigsmile:You'll also find details about the Motorhome Buyers Guide in my signature:thumb:
One question Jim.....how the hell did they get the van into a sheep pen ?
i see no roads or a gate big enough. :roflmto:

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back