Could you manage... ???? (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Slightly off topic (apologies) but I was watching a Place in the Sun the other night and a couple of the houses they were looking at were off grid with Solar panels on the roof and I wondered how day to day living was in this respect. I know that in many respects it will be similar to living full time in a motorhome with banks of batteries, standby generators, Gas for fridge, cooking, heating, etc. 12v for lighting, TV etc. But what about Satellite, Broadband, Vacuums & other things like that, do they use an inverter? Anyone any personal experience of living in a house off grid like this??

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
So lets get this straight..
Mo, do you mean a daily allowance or maximum draw at any given time ?

What is let through at any given time at the EHU post...

So if I am reading you right, John, maximum draw at any time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ahh.. in that case.. Def no problem at all !!
About the only thing I would do is put away the 2kW kettle and revert to our little 800W jobby

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Slightly off topic (apologies) but I was watching a Place in the Sun the other night and a couple of the houses they were looking at were off grid with Solar panels on the roof and I wondered how day to day living was in this respect. I know that in many respects it will be similar to living full time in a motorhome with banks of batteries, standby generators, Gas for fridge, cooking, heating, etc. 12v for lighting, TV etc. But what about Satellite, Broadband, Vacuums & other things like that, do they use an inverter? Anyone any personal experience of living in a house off grid like this??

All of those things are available in 12v form... In fact we have them our selves :)
About the only thing we never use on batteries is a microwave

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
6amp! Luxury we can indulge, but we manage very well, 3 x 180 batteries, 340 solar,2k inverter, 100 litre Gas tank,2 Alu gas bottles in reserve, it's a struggle going without nothing!!!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't use EHU, brought a Motorhome to be self sufficient, don't want to have to hook up every time we stop.
In our caravaning days sites with only 3 amp EHU never caused us any problems.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Solar panels fitted on a building generate 230v or the local equivalent so you don't need any special appliances. A big enough bank of them and you will more than cover normal domestic requirements without restricting your usage.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Just need enough to operate the charger and, preferably, the fridge. We have all 12v or LPG appliances so with solar we don't even need it for battery charging in Summer.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Solar panels fitted on a building generate 230v or the local equivalent so you don't need any special appliances. A big enough bank of them and you will more than cover normal domestic requirements without restricting your usage.

Yes if it is 'back to the grid' system . Most here have battery banks & inverters.

Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
More than ample!! we have had a 4A EHU to the van for last 2 weeks here in Portugal, keeps the fridge ticking over, and sometimes in the evening if its gets chilly we put the Truma on 500W setting to take the chill off.

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
Yes, we can manage for about four days without moving. Very seldom have EHU anyway. Our two leisure batteries supply all our needs, including my husband's CPAP machine which is on all night.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
At Piau Engaly in the Pyranees you get 4amps Ehu on the ehu in the aire, that's enough to run your heating. In our case I shunted it directly to the battery charger and ran everything from the inverter. So telly, kettle it all still worked. :D

Ian

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Yes Mo - we can survive on 8 amps which is just a little more than 2kva which is a Honda EU2.0 genny output. Even that will allow us to run air con in the summer - just need to be frugal and avoid putting microwave and kettle on together or run things that can on gas.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Probably not long term in winter, we have gas, stove, oven, a pan to boil water if I can't use nespresso machine or kettle, we have candles! Did juggle in Provence when we ran nothing except the aircon! Don't bother with TV much in summer though we have 12v and solar. Don't fancy winter wilding much .... though if we had a refillable gas tank I wouldn't be so bothered, would just be bothered about running out of gas.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Its not amps that limit you, its Lpg, we could last indefinitely on 4amps, but would run out of gas after 5-7 days depending on the outside temperature.

Ian

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
1 KWhour equals 20 cents or thereabouts who is making all the money at 8 euros for EHU?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Its not amps that limit you, its Lpg, we could last indefinitely on 4amps, but would run out of gas after 5-7 days depending on the outside temperature.

Ian
True but an 8A supply would allow for 1kW heating at least along with charging etc so gas would top that up as needed. A constant 1kW goes a long way towards keeping the van heated. Possibly half or more of your heating requirement.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
True but an 8A supply would allow for 1kW heating at least along with charging etc so gas would top that up as needed. A constant 1kW goes a long way towards keeping the van heated. Possibly half or more of your heating requirement.

You jest :D 1 Kw in my Rv? The yanks don't do insulation, they just fit big heaters, my blown air is 30,000 Btu's. A 3Kw heater is only just over 10,000 Btu's, in the mild winters we have in Suffolk, that's enough, in the Pyranees in winter? No chance, got to use gas. :(

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You jest :D 1 Kw in my Rv? The yanks don't do insulation, they just fit big heaters, my blown air is 30,000 Btu's. A 3Kw heater is only just over 10,000 Btu's, in the mild winters we have in Suffolk, that's enough, in the Pyranees in winter? No chance, got to use gas. :(
Indeed. No hook-up would meet that need:D

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
A big yes manage most of the summer without mains.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back