Could LiFePO4 batteries be the way to go? (1 Viewer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
LiFePO4 is offering a performance benefit over Lead-Acid (wet/AGM/Gel) batteries in terms of weight and capacity.

Where payload is critical you could make a significant saving by swapping to LiFePO4. It cannot be a direct swap, though, as you’ll need to change your charger: LiFePO4 do not like being ‘floated’ and need a controlled voltage for charging. I imagine that SP controllers may also need to differ.

Does anyone have experience or plans to use them?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
RoadPro sell a lithium battery, it is excellent But last time I looked it was well over £2000. As good as they are, you can buy a lot of Victorian wet cells for 2k

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Price will reduce over time, something for the future

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
RoadPro sell a lithium battery, it is excellent But last time I looked it was well over £2000. As good as they are, you can buy a lot of Victorian wet cells for 2k
Yes, a French product, I believe. There are now many more versions available at much lower prices. The cheaper ones may not be as well constructed or protected with electronics. Sadly, that side has to be taken on trust. For around £700 you can get a battery equivalent to 170 Ah Lead-Acid and 1/4 the weight. That may be worth thinking about if you want to lose weight.

Reactions: Jim

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
For around £700 you can get a battery equivalent to 170 Ah Lead-Acid and 1/4 the weight. That may be worth thinking about if you want to lose weight.
Not cheaper to go weight watchers (y)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I was looking to build my own battery packs using similar techniques to what Tesla does. The batteries themselves can be had quite cheaply. The problem arises from the costs around the balancing circuits and the thermal management required to keep them safe.

Boeing suffered major problems with their lithium batteries on the 787 Dreamliners. Tesla's techniques though have proven to be extremely safe. But the cost of those techniques are prohibitive for small self build battery pack unfortunately.

There is also the additional problem of the voltage difference. I was intending to build a 12V regulated supply so everything in my van would work from 12V. Once I added up the costs it just proved too much for an experimental project.

The cost of Lithium batteries has fallen dramatically and on their own are not cost prohibitive, it is all the extra stuff you need to safely charge, balance and protect that is the problem and those items probably won't fall in price too dramatically.

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think the technology has changed from the time that Boeing had their problems by the addition of Phosphate. They are now safe(r) and only 3.2V a cell, making four compatible with Lead-Acid. Besides being much lighter, they will (are said to) tolerate deep discharge much better so I’m thinking that big inverters will become more practical. Battery management is key. You must keep them balanced and some systems will do better than others. Those are likely to be the ones with the longer guarantee.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
There is a reduced risk of thermal run away with LiFePO4 but it is not totally removed. I would still recommend that the same protections are in place both physical and electrical. I did look at LiFePO4 but currently they are too expensive to consider.

I forgot to mention, You would also have to swap out your solar controller as well.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
LiFePO4 is offering a performance benefit over Lead-Acid (wet/AGM/Gel) batteries in terms of weight and capacity.

True. But in the context of 3.5 tonnes or more of MH how much benefit ? I have seen replacements for LA on sale now but don't recall the spec.

A whole different matter on e-bikes, what a difference it's made to those.

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
You could replace two 85Ah Gel batteries (54Kg) with one 100Ah LiFePO4 (14Kg) and gain 40Kg of payload. If you’re pressed for payload, that’s quite a bit extra leeway.

Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
When the bring out the new Hymer B544 on a Tesla base vehicle then we should be OK. Although I bet the bastard campsites will charge a fortune for electric hookup.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Is there anything special about these particular ones or are they just the same as all the other Lithium batteries on the market?

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Is there anything special about these particular ones or are they just the same as all the other Lithium batteries on the market?
There are a few different lithium chemistries out there. The LiFePO4 batteries are supposed to be safer but have a lower energy density than say the one in your tablet or phone. Beyond that I don't know a huge amount about them but Chris Dunphy's write up is worth reading for more in depth pros and cons. Must admit I envy him his bus though it wouldn't fit well on Scottish Roads:eek::eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back