Could do with some fluid advice!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by RogeTeri, Apr 15, 2013.

1. RogeTeri

RogeTeri Read Only Funster

Just preparing for my first real outing to Peterborough Show. Got the essential fluids sorted, (beer, wine, meths etc).

Now needing to concentrate on the rest. Bought the van in February, has some water on board, not sure how much. Common sense is telling me to drain the tank, clean it and refill. So what is the best method to ensure the fresh supply is drinkable?

Secondly, have heard people using Tesco Bio washing liquid in the lieu. Is this right? Safe? again what is the advised fluid to do the business.

What am I missing? Sure there is something obvious, so helpful comments will be most welcome!

Happy to share some of the alcoholic fluids!

2. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

I should just flush the fresh water tank through a couple of times, and not bother with anything... in it..

Hasn`t been cold enogh for algae to grow, and a lot of things like milton (As was said on another thread) can leave a funny taste.. :Smile:

3. ukbill

ukbill Funster

i never drink from the tank for tea or coffee yes because it is boiled
    i use the blue liquid for me toilet i think its blue diamond around a thimble full is enough
    as for cleaning me tank i have never done it apart from coffee and tea the water is for the toilet and the shower washing up when needed but thats it
    and dont forget the eggs and bacon

4. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

Take more booze "happy to share" you will have every bugger on your doorstep

As for rest we are new to this game and forget something every time
    Take the wrong things, take too much, we have stuff in van we have never used
    Don't worry if your short of anything there are shops on site or you can scrounge borrow beg of someone
    if you need anything that's useless see me I have loads of junk I would like to unload
    Don't know about water in tank I cleaned mine out this year by flushing it out with a cleaner I bought from Lowdams and then drained it a refiled I can't remember what it's called but it was £8
    Enjoy the mistakes it's fun
    My check list
    Water
    Kettle
    Tea making gear
    Beer
    Wine
    Bottle of jacks and one of Jamaica's Finest rum
    More beer
    Wife
    Dog
    Poo bags for dog

• Like Like x 1
  5. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Hi, Nikki and I never ever drink from our water tank. We always take bottle water.m
    We also use washing powder in the loo :Eeek:

8 years no problem, I'm still living :thumb:

6. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

Purification Tabs

I use purification tabs, you'll find them on eBay and very reasonable. It's ok saying flush and leave it without any attention, but unless you did some form of test, know the history of the van and what beasties are lurking inside the fresh water system (they haven't seen Nessy for years) then the only way is to be sure. Puritabs cleans it right through, is oderless, tasteless and very safe. I use them as and when I think it's necessary, they're evervesant and easy to store, simply add a few to some fresh water in a jug, pour in the tank and top up as required, simples.....

I also use, drink and make brews from the fresh water tank and there's no ill effects at all, but the best part of it all, is that it's up to you, just so long as your happy, the fridge is full and the view is good outside.......

By the sounds of it you'll not need to worry, not if the consumption of the alcoholic type of liquid is sufficient, as it usually kills all known germs dead anyway Happy Motorhoming my fellow Funster.....

Cut and paste this into your browser and you'll find them on eBay.:BigGrin::BigGrin:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aqua-Clea...omeGarden_CLV_Cleaning_CA&hash=item5642417bda

:thumb::thumb:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Initially (in our naivety) we simply didn't consider anything but drinking from the on-board tank in the Autoquest. However, at one event the supply was from a pipe that was used infrequently so had been sterilised and (though the water was safe) there were off-flavours. So we started carrying a separate 5 litre jerry can for drinking water. However a subsequent event that used a bowser supply meant that was not totally successful so we bought a water filter jug and all drinking water goes through that - though we do tend to drink only boiled water in beverages anyway and we only use water from potable sources in the UK.

During the warmer months, when we use the van more often so there are only a few days between trips, we might not bother to drain the fresh water tank. When the weather is colder, though, we drain the fresh water system each time we return home. If I'm refilling the tank after it has been unused for a while I part fill it and dissolve a couple of Aqua Tabs (bought years ago before I realised it's just the same as own-brand baby bottle sterilising stuff) and flush the system through, then flush through with plain water to get rid of any off flavours (usually taste it to check).

I flushed the system through 5 weeks ago but then we had to cancel the trip. I'll be filling up tomorrow or Wednesday for traveling on Thursday but will just run fresh water in.

For the last couple of years we've been using cheap bio washing liquid in the cassette and find it works fine.

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

we dont bother cleaning or sterilising the tank due to having a high quality inline water filter and dedicated tap.

the water coming out of that is a lot purer than that out of a mains tap. :thumb:

and, of course, being an american RV, we dont need anything in the black tank as its vented through the roof and emptied through a 3" hose directly into a sewer.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I use supermarket bio wash in the loo. Any of them seem to work, I have used Tesco, Sainsbury and Asda.

If I had only just taken over a van I would use puritabs or equivilant, just the first time as you don't know it's history. Thereafter as long as you don't leave it full of water for months on end, the chlorine in the tap water will kill off any bugs.

• Like Like x 3
  10. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Our trips often last 3-4 mths with a month at home in between.
    I drain the fresh tank after every trip and flush it out before re-filling.Once a year I let it soak for a day or so with Milton in it-then flush out several times.
    Toilet cassette I use Thetford Organic,but am going to try bio washing liquid when I've used last 3 bottles of Thetford.
    Grey waste tank-I have been using Thetford grey waste freshener,but wii try bio liquid when I start using it in toilet.

Mike

11. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

we drink from our tank never had a problem if i was taking over someone elses van id use the tabs just to be sure after that the chlorine in tap water is sufficent

12. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

We cook with water from the tank and also use it boiled in hot drinks. But, normally keep a separate supply in plastic bottles for drinking cold.

Obviously, also use water from the onboard tank for washing up in the kitchen and washing / showering in the bathroom. Oh, and flushing the loo.

If in the UK, generally fill a large plastic bottle from campsite tap or wherever for drinking, whereas abroad usually buy bottled water - it tends to be pretty cheap and we don't consume that much cold water.

We tried using the various bio washing liquids in the loo, but have now reverted to organic toilet fluid. Fortunately, found a cheap source at - I think it's - 'The Range'. Powerful stuff, so very little required each time to charge the holding tank. :thumb:

Mike

13. campa cola

campa cola Funster

tank water drinkers warning

Just so all you tank water boilers & drinkers are aware:

To be safe you may wish to follow the advice of the US Environmental Protection Agency which recommends boiling for 1 full minute, or 3 minutes if you are 2000 meters above ground level:

http://www.epa.gov/safewater/faq/emerg.html

and just to complicate matters further, many domestic kettles don't actually boil all the water at boiling point, often it's just below, so apart from not doing a rolling 1 minute boil the kettles are also not at true boiling point....something to consider........and if you are not doing a true 1 minute boil at boiling point there could still be pathogens in the water.:Doh:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  14. duane0001

duane0001 Read Only Funster

I laugh in the face of pathogens, usually when I am sat on the toilet :Eek!:

15. campa cola

campa cola Funster

.....you will have not met a real pathogen unless you have been to India......:moon::Eeek:

16. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Welllll.. 5 years now and apart from when we first got the van the water has never been flushed out and never been sterilised......
    We are out in the van an awful lot and the water never gets a chance to sit for more than a few days.. And as woman seems to get through water as only woman can, the tank is filled from pretty much empty at least once a week, every week .. ( apart from about Dec 8th to Jan 8th when it does not move from the house.. ut it is bloody cold then so not exactly a great breeding ground for cryptosporidium or any of the other members of the protozoa family ! )

And as Paul says, we are still alive :thumb:

I have tried all the bio washing stuff and really am not a fan.. Dislike the stink of human excrement and the Bio stuff does little to mask it, so lavvy dump time was unpleasant ..

There is also a cost element too..
    A 4 litre bottle of Elsan Blue is £13.00 and lasts a full year even with the amount of usage the van gets.

Yes the Bio stuff is cheap per small bottle but when I did try it I ended up using a cupful every time ( proly too much but see above re smells and disguising them,,, or not as the case may be ! )