Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Guys

I've been reading about the law with regards to seatbelts and I must admit I am still a little confused.
I understand that the law changed in 2007 so that passengers in the back of the van must wear 3 point seatbelts, I think that goes without saying that it is important, but I keep seeing Vans advertised with side couch seats obviously pre 2007 but what I can't understand is why none of them have been retro fitted with lap belts at the very least.
I was looking at an Autocruise Starblazer 2004 but it has couch seats no belts, and a few others. I must admit that I do like the couch seats but I am concerned with safety.
I would like some other people opinions as to whether they are safe enough to use with, what I can only describe as, loose passengers.

Thanks Guys
Gary

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hi Gazza, you will find a few thoughts previously posted on the subject here......

Broken Link Removed

:Smile:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
What does it mater what the law is.

Do you carry your loved ones without belts.

IMO No

But i am sure there are people out there that drive carfull:Eeek:

For Gods sake it easy no belts no pasengers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Years ago few Motorhomes had rear seat belts and I travelled thousands of miles with loved ones sitting in these seats with no injuries. Buses don't have seat belts, trains don't have seat belts but no one considers they are not safe when travelling in them. Not even the kids leaning against the front window on the top deck of a double decker bus!
If belts are fitted they must be worn. If you are happy carrying passengers in unbelted seats, it's up to you. As far as I know, no laws are being broken
Many older Motorhomes also have lap belts on side facing seats, I was looking at an American coach built with push out sides and that had a three seat side facing sofa with lap belts fitted. It was only a few years old.

If you have a front on collision in any vehicle, everything loose will be thrown forwards, this includes pets, unbelted passengers, seat cushions and anything else stored loose or behind ill fitting cupboards in the van.

Everything you do has a risk attached to it. It's up to you to minimise these risks as best you can, or want.

Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back