pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi and welcome.

insurance....only you and your chosen insurer can say that.
everyones personal circumstances are different but budget between £300 and £600

mileage....depends on the motorhome body type, engine size etc but expect around 25mpg from a diesel engined C class......bulge over cab.

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Insurance will be between £200-300 roughly.

MPG will be around 25-28 roughly

Warranty depends on age - buy one if it sets you mind at ease around £300-600 for a good 3 year warranty.

You will only sleep if you stop worrying!

Yes, it is relaxing - soon you will adjust, stop worrying and have fun!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Be warned, motorhomes and boats are not for the faint hearted. Both although giving a lot of pleasure require constant attention and money being lavished upon them.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
will i ever sleep again

No, you'll be listening all night for the rain seeping into your frame reducing the tens of thousands of pounds investment to a few coppers in scrap.

And all the time you are driving you'll be thinking will I be the unlucky one, the one where the fan belt does not last 5 years ?

Then, when you stop for the night, will you be gassed and robbed ?

And finally you get to site and sit wondering "dare I hook up or will it have reverse polarity and I'm a goner ?".

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Be warned, motorhomes and boats are not for the faint hearted. Both although giving a lot of pleasure require constant attention and money being lavished upon them.

nope, boats are much less practical, more prone to corrosion & many dont need a licence MOT or hab check to drive:Eeek:

campacola -RYA power boat level 2 & BSAC diver/cox'n

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2013
Lamberhurst, Kent
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Over 10 years experience
No, you'll be listening all night for the rain seeping into your frame reducing the tens of thousands of pounds investment to a few coppers in scrap.

And all the time you are driving you'll be thinking will I be the unlucky one, the one where the fan belt does not last 5 years ?

And finally you get to site and sit wondering "dare I hook up or will it have reverse polarity and I'm a goner ?".

I don't think that's fair...

Firstly, make sure you have the vehicle serviced every year without fail, even if you don't use it that much. Make sure you get a decent warranty, if possible get an extended warranty to cover you for upto 3 years and when that runs out, get another one! This means any damp claims will always be covered (providing you've had it serviced)!

It would be worth getting a Fiamma security handle or similar fitted, any visual deterrent is much better to ward off potential unwanted company.

Finally, buy a reverse polarity checker and just check before you plug in... problem solved!

Motorhoming is an absolute pleasure. Sure it's a learning curve and mistakes will be made along the way but half the fun is getting out there and doing something different every day!

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Firstly, make sure you have the vehicle serviced every year without fail, even if you don't use it that much. Make sure you get a decent warranty, if possible get an extended warranty to cover you for upto 3 years and when that runs out, get another one! This means any damp claims will always be covered (providing you've had it serviced)!

It would be worth getting a Fiamma security handle or similar fitted, any visual deterrent is much better to ward off potential unwanted company.

Finally, buy a reverse polarity checker and just check before you plug in... problem solved!

Motorhoming is an absolute pleasure. Sure it's a learning curve and mistakes will be made along the way but half the fun is getting out there and doing something different every day!

Dont worry.....thats just Brians sense of humour.

if we have to put up with him so do you :winky::ROFLMAO:

Oh, and thats about it......you've had 6 free posts without subscribing which is 1 more than most.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Insurance......................pay it.
MPG..............................who cares?
Warranty.......................not worth the paper it's written on (allegedly).
Sleep at night?...............best sleep ever.
I like my RV for the pleasure it gives me, no one else. If i worried about the costs then it isn't for me. We are here but once, enjoy! :thumb:

Craig

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Insurance......................pay it......no choice
MPG..............................who cares?.....cant change it
Warranty.......................not worth the paper it's written on (allegedly)....agreed
Sleep at night?...............best sleep ever....agreed
I like my RV for the pleasure it gives me, no one else. If i worried about the costs then it isn't for me. We are here but once, enjoy! :thumb:

Craig

:thumb:

Upvote 0

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I am sure you will love it when / if you take the plunge, wish I had years ago, my insurance is cheaper than my Volvo estate was, I also get far more miles to the gallon, just watch your vehicle tax, they do vary, that was my shock mine is £280 this year, a lot are £225, or even less.just go with it and enjoy, if we worried about everything we were going to do, we wouldn`t do anything and miss out on great experiences and fun.:thumb:

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Dont forget,,,

Damp / water ingress
Gassing while in bed
Spanish police stops
Congestion charges
Fiat judder

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ENJOY.... !! It's a good FUN :thumb:

Upvote 0

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
Fiat Judder. Sounds like an Italian rock band. :thumb:

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
oh I love these threads.

Im with you Brian....

50 different answers,

Insurance somewhere between £200 - 4k depending if your trying to get your son insured as well.

MPG? well somewhere between 7 and 55 mpg depending on who you believe and what you buy, but I get 23 fact** unless I drive like an old man I then get 25 or drive like the stig and then Ill get 17mpg.

Warranty, best avoided at all cost, all they do is fullfill you with heartache when every claim you make is refused and gives the dealer more ammo to get you back and tell you you bought the wrong van and he' will do you a deal on another.

Sleep at night? only if you get a large dog, your normally up going to the loo anyway cos you drank too much or are watching out for the gas men (there like the Bogey men but just eastern european)

And don't forget, as soon as you become a fully paid up member, ask all about Aframes. :thumb:

Until then, follow your dream, believe in your gut instinct, believe nothing a dealer tells you until you ask here first.

and you will become one my friend, yes, one of us. :Cool: the crazy gang.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Don't even know what would happen if I plugged in with reverse polarity, where this would happen and how to check...........what you don't know can't hurt you! ::bigsmile:
Neither can reverse polarity...unless you are working on the electrics live and unaware of the polarity.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

Ha ha I love it A typical dealer response, spend more money and do it regularly. A reverse polarity checker depends on what type of van you get and where you intend to use it.

Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
how much is insurance
what milage will i get
is the van still under warrenty
will i ever sleep again
talk about nerves the thoughts are driving me mad
and the blommin thing has not even been paid for yet,
:Eeek: oh crips and there was me thinking motorhoming would be relaxing

Hello and welcome.
Doesn't worry, you will not regret it. You will sleep better and be more relaxespd in your van than you ever are at home.
KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON - CAMPING! ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
how much is insurance
what milage will i get
is the van still under warrenty
will i ever sleep again
talk about nerves the thoughts are driving me mad
and the blommin thing has not even been paid for yet,
:Eeek: oh crips and there was me thinking motorhoming would be relaxing

Hi happychick, welcome to fun, enjoy your van don't worry ::bigsmile: keep asking the questions lots of different answers on here but you usually find out what you want, lots of laughs, and oh yes the best £10 you will spend is the tenner for the sub for fun. :welcomefunster:

Upvote 0

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Don't forget that you have to park next to a panel van conversion so that you can fully appreciate the sliding door mechanism, last thing at night.

:winky:

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
If you buy a new van and sleep in it the first night, when you wake up, you will have lost up to £10000 of its original value!
But who's counting?
Allan

Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hello and welcome.
Doesn't worry, you will not regret it. You will sleep better and be more relaxespd in your van than you ever are at home.
KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON - CAMPING! ::bigsmile:

Cricky! :whatthe: I've only had one glass of wine with dinner, honest.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Ours is 8 years old and according to my spreadsheet it costs us just under £240 a month all in.

That's everything, including tax, insurance, MoT, annual servicing and hab check, storage, enough diesel for around 4,500 miles a year, and the average annual cost of things that need replacing, like tyres, cam belt, batteries.

The above sum doesn't include bits and bobs we've added to it at various points like solar panel, satellite dish, and so on.

Upvote 0

tinkering

Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1972
Insurance......................pay it.
MPG..............................who cares?
Warranty.......................not worth the paper it's written on (allegedly).
Sleep at night?...............best sleep ever.
I like my Van for the pleasure it gives me, no one else. If i worried about the costs then it isn't for me. We are here but once, enjoy! :thumb:

Craig

Firsted Seconded Thirded :thumb:

Les:winky:

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Never had a habitation check.

Never had a warranty.

Never had a polarity checker.

Never been gassed.

Never been pulled over and weighed.

Don't have mpg... have how many kilometres per 10 litres... (no idea).

Costs of running my van(s)... none... actually it pays me to run my van... because I live in mine and have done for well over twenty years.

No rent, no mortgage, no electricity bill, no neighbours, no worries.

You Don't Have To Live In A House.

Millions don't.

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread