Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I would just like to say I don't covet anything that anyone else has, but there is somebody down our road who has a W reg motorhome, which they go away in maybe twice a year, they have a dinghy in the driveway along with a horsebox, so presumably they have a horse. I'm sure they've earned every penny and I don't begrudge it, but there is something that just doesn't feel right when people carry on buying expensive toys when there is so much hardship in the world. I know they can't save the world with what they have. Could it be my methodist upbringing? :Smile:

Ivy

I was brought up a Quaker Ivy and I sometimes have to fight off the feeling of pity I get when I see what I (maybe completely wrongly) consider to be the pursuit of happiness by some people by acquiring bigger, better, more fashionable "things".

Plain living... simple things... this is the way I enjoy life...

I am certain there is not a single Funster who has more fun, pleasure, contentment and use from their motorhome(s) than I have from my Iveco self build... If I remember correctly I paid around €3000 for it in 2000.

I am the lucky one... so much of my happiness comes from things that don't cost much...

(probably a bit smug... but true... )

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Dont believe everything you read on forums:ROFLMAO:

Oh yes what about the Fiat gear box forums...."Dont believe everything you read on forums"....your words not mine!!.....VW..how come there are so many VW T5 forums discussing gearbox problems and starting problems?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: what was that phrase .... stones and glass houses:winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Oh yes what about the Fiat gear box forums...."Dont believe everything you read on forums"....your words not mine!!.....VW..how come there are so many VW T5 forums discussing gearbox problems and starting problems?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: what was that phrase .... stones and glass houses:winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
You appear a bit tetchy about fiat gear box problems, would you like to share it with us.:winky:
Just sold my VW after 80k miles in over four years of trouble free motoring. I got more than I could have imagined it was worth from someone who contacted me, the likelihood is I will be getting another the same. Hope you have the same fortune when you decide to sell yours:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by joner8888
I think i would get back ache with all that stooping--and -- how can i go to the loo with her and the little ones looking on?
First of all the shock would stun them ,then with a confined space the aroma would finish them off

Simples...standard issue for all passengers.

Broken Link Removed

and standard issue for all passengers after a "Portapotti" number 2.......:winky:

Link Removed

Simples....!:RollEyes:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joner8888
I think i would get back ache with all that stooping--and -- how can i go to the loo with her and the little ones looking on?
First of all the shock would stun them ,then with a confined space the aroma would finish them off

Broken Link Removed

and standard issue for all passengers after a "Portapotti" number 2.......:winky:

Link Removed

Simples....!:RollEyes:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:No all 2s are barred in the van, we issue a spade for 2s.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok.. avoided this up until now, but if your van was so good, why sell it and buy another the same ?

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
You appear a bit tetchy about fiat gear box problems, would you like to share it with us.
Just sold my VW after 80k miles in over four years of trouble free motoring. I got more than I could have imagined it was worth from someone who contacted me, the likelihood is I will be getting another the same. Hope you have the same fortune when you decide to sell yours:thumb:

Like I said in one of your previous post's.. I love them ..I we have had no problem with ours::bigsmile:

Taken from VW forums
May 2007 kombi (51k miles) that has just developed a 2nd gear crunch

i love the van overall,but hate their reliability
no wonder the germans lost the war
gearbox drops into neutral as its going up through the gears from 1st to 2nd and to 3rd when engine is hot,ok when cold

My t5 with 78,000k's needs the auto gearbox rebuilt,cost is going to be aleast 3 to around 6, grand more than T5 its worth

Hi I have the same problems as you with my 2005TD5 a nightmare nowdays

Hi all, I have a 2006 T5 with around 80,000 kms and it just cost $7500 to repair, I am wheelchair.

Once I get it back on the road(been in dispute with VW for the last month) will sell it & buy something japanese, least it will last!

The List goes on and on and on and not just in this country:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

... But whooos the Tetchy one then:winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Its a good Job I do not believe what is put on Forums:winky::winky:

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
You appear a bit tetchy about fiat gear box problems, would you like to share it with us.:winky:

Jaws has just asked this question....if yours was that good... and VW are having all these gearbox problems... why....Maybe yours is the only one still running without gearbox problem yet ....or have you sold before the box problem starts..:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Give me a sat dish or a Dome, TV, solar panel, oven, reversing camera, fly screen or any other extras... BUT NOT A VW:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Maybe some older members like to travel/park up/ and can`t walk too far so maybe a tv gives them some pleasure.
If we are on a site and it`s pelting down (not very often):ROFLMAO: a tv is a break from sitting around singing" ging gang gooley" :thumb:

Yes I agree, as an alder statesman ,mm. mm, who travels on his own,and when it,s hissing down .tele can give you pleasure, as is a good book, perhaps a few years ago I would have poo pooed the idea, and settled for a good woman, or perhaps a not so good ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:..........Del

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Ok.. avoided this up until now, but if your van was so good, why sell it and buy another the same ?
Pure economics my dear Watson. My van cost around 38k new I had over 4 years (in fact add another 6 months to that as VW replaced my 1st van when it was 6 months old, yes great customer service)......of excellent trouble free motoring. Unlike most motorhomers, I use my van every day and drive it as it should be driven, use it as a work horse.
With inflation the same van new is now costing 45k so my second hand value reflected this price increase.
Why chance high mileage potential problems for a few grand, just not worth it so I decided to start afresh for another 80k trouble free miles.:thumb: Hope this answers your question.:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Winnebago

As Bob would say Quote: If we had to explain you would not understand:Sad: (it is a German thing) I drive a real factory produced camper I think the only one in existence, not a mishmash of bits and pieces from the cheapest possible suppliers. A camper designed and built by one of the worlds leading motor manufactures.:thumb:
What possible extras could improve the experience of owning such a vehicle.:thumb:

The word Winnegabo springs to mind they build from the chassis up (and include the chassis on some models). and that is an American thing.

Bob:Blush:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
same here it is the street cred that counts

I have had a nice sat dome fitted by Vanbitz.

I needed the street cred.

I have been fighting the women off since it was fitted:ROFLMAO:

Same here... makes the RV look something special:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
so are you donating your motorhome?

I would just like to say I don't covet anything that anyone else has, but there is somebody down our road who has a W reg motorhome, which they go away in maybe twice a year, they have a dinghy in the driveway along with a horsebox, so presumably they have a horse. I'm sure they've earned every penny and I don't begrudge it, but there is something that just doesn't feel right when people carry on buying expensive toys when there is so much hardship in the world. I know they can't save the world with what they have. Could it be my methodist upbringing? :Smile:

Ivy

So are you donating your motor home to the third world? My view is he who has the most toys wins:winky: I have lots of toys.... all on a 23'9" RV

Bob:Cool:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
FBP? simple living... ????

Plain living... simple things... this is the way I enjoy life...

(probably a bit smug... but true... )

FBP, Heinz Bake beans... simple things JJ? I see you only have the best :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:and not the el cheap copy cats from ALDI:winky:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
what is a spade?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:No all 2s are barred in the van, we issue a spade for 2s.

Buttons, please explain.. this is a word that RV owners do not understand...spade???

You are seriously asking us to understand you do not have a flush toilet? even the most basic eurobox has a flush loo these days.. buckets went years back.. but a spad? I am now starting to feel sorry for you... did not think that would ever be possible.. I have always felt sorry for JJ having to limit his diet to FBP ... but SPAD.. very very sad:winky:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The clue is in the name MotorHOME as opposed to CAMPERvan
But each to his own
Vic

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Yes I agree, as an alder statesman ,mm. mm, who travels on his own,and when it,s hissing down .[HI]tele can give you pleasure[/HI], as is a good book, perhaps a few years ago I would have poo pooed the idea, and settled for [HI]a good woman[/HI], or perhaps a not so good ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:..........Del

Watcher Dell, Jesus saves fallen women, last night I prayed...............

..........I asked him to save one for me........:roflmto:

Your VW is just like my last one and we had a lot of fun in our VW's. Now I have a bit of money I have bought a larger MH and I've recently spent almost £2000 on a fancy Dome and a new Telly. VanBitz was the source supplier but I had it fitted in Carmarthen as Eddie couldn't do the job for some time.

I fitted it just so Buttons could have a go at what a waste of money they are and street cred of course. On the few occasions I've watched it I've been impressed that I can watch all my Sky channels as far down as Lake Garda and also pleased with the way I just flick a switch and it's done.

I know many of you are just like me, total freakin idiots for spending a penny more than we need have done on a VW mobile tent..........:ROFLMAO:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Talking about Bobs 15k of extras made me think. What some of you spend on you motorhome extras is amazing. Seeing you queuing up at these shows to buy totally unnecessary tat, to me is an eye opener. :Eeek:
It made me think about my VW. It served me for over 4 glorious years driving over 80k extremely economical miles, we holidayed in France Italy Holland Spain :sin: as well as all the places in between. We used it more or less every day 365 days and spent most weekends somewhere yet never felt the need for a TV or fancy dish:whistle:.

It only has the factory fitted alarm yet never been broken into, not even when over nighting in French motorway Aires.

It has been used to transport cement mixers ladders wheel barrows bricks furniture the lot and still looks and drives like new.
Never spent a penny on storage and it never gave me a single problem in all that time. You might wonder why another VW is still top of my shopping list.:thumb:
Now the best part, my only purchase was a small porta loo which I still have and a euro socket converter for the tow bar. It had an excellent resale value and owes me absolutely nothing.
I read in amazement just what some of you are willing to spend on your motorhome extras.

I worked very hard and earned it and I will spend it just as I like ----thank you very much

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Buttons original post got me thinking and I started listing all the "essentials" I have bought/fitted into my 1996 Iveco Turbo Daily (with intercooler) self build over the years...

I have really surprised myself... :Eeek:

Cruise Control
Blue tooth hands free
Sony Mex HD1 library sound system
Bose speakers
Swivel passenger seat
Battery to Battery charger (Sterling 50 amp)
Electronic compass
Tom Tom sat nav
Ctek battery charger and reconditioner
Pure sine wave inverter
Four 80/90 watt solar panels
Steca 20 amp controller
3 110 amp leisure batteries
Smev four ring/grill/oven cooker
Vitrifrigo 60 litre compressor fridge
Carver heater (free)
Malaga 3E water heater
Gaslow refillable gas bottle
Gas bottle refilling adaptor
Multimo Satellite system with box
LED lights throughout interior
Porta Potty 365
Kipor Generator
Orthopedic mattress
Five way roof lights
Safeway dead locks (four)
Avtex 12 volt TV/Dvd player
Twin fresh water tanks and gauge (broken)
Fire extinguisher

and

a hand cut recycled maghogany parque floor (nearly finished)

I guess I could do without the fire extinguisher... :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Buttons original post got me thinking and I started listing all the "essentials" I have bought/fitted into my 1996 Iveco Turbo Daily (with intercooler) self build over the years...

Cruise Control
Blue tooth hands free
Bose speakers
Swivel passenger seat
Electronic compass
Tom Tom sat nav
Pure sine wave inverter
Steca 20 amp controller
Carver heater (free)
[HI]Malaga 3E water heater[/HI]
Porta Potty 365
Kipor Generator
Orthopedic mattress
Five way roof lights
Fire extinguisher

and

a hand cut maghogany parque floor (nearly finished)

You had trouble with that water heater JJ, did you ever fix it?...Griff

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
You had trouble with that water heater JJ, did you ever fix it?...Griff

It fixed itself Griff... seriously...

It was leaking into the gas burner area so the gas would not light until I had soaked up the water with a cloth (done from outside with the vent thingy removed.)

Then I started switching off the pressure controlled pump after each use (and opening the hot water tap to reduce the water pressure in the system) and this procedure stopped the leaking... then after a few months I kept forgetting to switch the pump off and noticed that the leak had stopped altogether... an effective bit of procrastination for sure... :thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

I have really surprised myself... :Eeek: Mmmmmmm

Cruise Control
I thought you had to reach a speed of at least 30mph to switch a CC on
Blue tooth hands free...What's up with pulling over and stopping
Sony Mex HD1 library sound systemI thought you was a bit mutton
Bose speakers
Swivel passenger seat
come on a swivel seat I ask you
Electronic compassBut you never know where you are at any one time
Tom Tom sat nav...
Ctek battery charger and reconditioner...I agree
Pure sine wave inverter..Mmmmm
Steca 20 amp controller
3 110 amp leisure batteries.....well yes maybe all that battery power when wilding
Smev four ring/grill/oven cooker...Yes to cook the FBP
Carver heater (free).....if it's hot always in Portugal is it really an a Essential
Malaga 3E water heater yes we need to be clean
Gaslow refillable gas bottle....ok
Gas bottle refilling adaptor....Mmmm
Multimo Satellite system with box....DOES that mean you have a TV:Doh:
LED lights throughout interior...yes I agree
Porta Potty 365 ...Yes now that is Essential
Kipor Generator..Yes
Orthopedic mattress.....come on such luxury:winky::winky:
Five way roof lights
Safeway dead locks (four)What's up with Tesco dead locks, you would have got tesco points or air miles :Doh:
Avtex 12 volt TV/Dvd player...Mmmm
Fire extinguisher

and

a hand cut maghogany parque floor (nearly finished)

ARE YOU SAYING ALL THESE ARE ESSENTIALS :whatthe::Doh:

"I don't have a single extra!"..."My things are all "Essentials"..

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Once you have the essentials such as A-Frame, Kipor generator, Narcotic gas alarm and SOG toilet, the rest are just for FUN :ROFLMAO:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
JJ lives a really simple life

Once you have the essentials such as A-Frame, Kipor generator, Narcotic gas alarm and SOG toilet, the rest are just for FUN :ROFLMAO:

I see from JJ's list he lives such a simple care free nomadic life style as a full timer ex pat... but he still has these longings for the dinner things in life ..FBP etc., but looking at his list.. he is not doing bad.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: all he needs now is a V10 engine:winky:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Buttons, please explain.. this is a word that RV owners do not understand...spade???

You are seriously asking us to understand you do not have a flush toilet? even the most basic eurobox has a flush loo these days.. buckets went years back.. but a spad? I am now starting to feel sorry for you... did not think that would ever be possible.. I have always felt sorry for JJ having to limit his diet to FBP ... but SPAD.. very very sad:winky:
You should include one in your vast inventory Bob it might help if you have another Peterborough experience.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Cruise Control
Blue tooth hands free
Bose speakers
Swivel passenger seat
Electronic compass
Tom Tom sat nav
Pure sine wave inverter
Steca 20 amp controller
Carver heater (free)
Malaga 3E water heater
Porta Potty 365
Kipor Generator
Orthopedic mattress
Five way roof lights
Fire extinguisher

and

[HI]a hand cut recycled maghogany parque floor (nearly finished)[/HI]

You have spoilt my next question. I was going to ask the same question as I asked this time last year. "is the floor finished yet":winky:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Now let me think extra's any thing I we buy as a extra I consider a essential.

Satalite telly....yes
Ed can't be bothered putting up a areial thingy so a sat dish essential.

Solar panel....yes need to charge all the electric bits up.

Big Sheepskin covers... yes need to be comfy

Table & Chairs....yes got to sit out side now and then

Wind blockers...yes got to be wind free

the list could go on and on but it all boils down to your motorhome is what you want it to be and what you can afford

One cap does not fit all and no way would I want to be away for long with out a few home comforts.

I am to old for that, some may want a vw runaround and love it others 23 ft 9 and that full fill their needs, me I love my euro box so you see, I can't understand why you are happy with no proper loo and I would not expect you to understand why my little extra's are essential to me.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Pure economics my dear Watson. My van cost around 38k new I had over 4 years [HI](in fact add another 6 months to that as VW replaced my 1st van when it was 6 months old,[/HI] yes great customer service)......of excellent trouble free motoring. Unlike most motorhomers, I use my van every day and drive it as it should be driven, use it as a work horse.
With inflation the same van new is now costing 45k so my second hand value reflected this price increase.
Why chance high mileage potential problems for a few grand, just not worth it so I decided to start afresh for another 80k trouble free miles.:thumb: Hope this answers your question.:thumb:
You lot are slipping, no question on why such a wonderful vw had to be replaced after only 6 months. I feed you the lines but it is up to you to pick them up.:rain:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back