Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
For one they hopefully use the correct tools :)

You need a CO Carbon Monoxide detector, not CO2 Carbon Dioxide, although technically too much CO2 wouldn't do you any favours (y)

You probably do have a CO monitor

I possibly have but tools for what ?
What tools do they use and for what ?

Vlad

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I possibly have but tools for what ?
What tools do they use and for what ?

Vlad

My use of the word 'tool' was a loose reference to you using the wrong detector, they would hopefully have a CO monitor ie 'the correct tools'

sometimes I try to make it read easier by using far too many words and simply confuse all :LOL:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I pay £120 (£100 + VAT) and think it well worth it. As with much in life, there are many things I can do myself and I like to do it myself if I am competent. However, when it comes to items like gas work and damp checks &c, I would rather pay somebody who is both qualified and has the correct tools. Just like the mechanical service really.

EDIT - I can't remember if it is a condition of our current insurance but the previous insurance policy included a condition about not paying out if a fire was caused by a gas installation not checked annually by a qualified engineer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Is any possible future sale/part exchange by not having a stamped hab check receipt going to cause problems? I've read on here that when buying a mh that you should check the hab cert.
Geoff

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
My use of the word 'tool' was a loose reference to you using the wrong detector, they would hopefully have a CO monitor ie 'the correct tools'

sometimes I try to make it read easier by using far too many words and simply confuse all :LOL:

Thanks David ,having never had a hab check I was just trying to find out what they involved ,if it's simply a damp check and CO test I cant for the life of me see why,unless it was a condition of warranty,that anyone would pay for something they can so easily do themselves.

Vlad

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks David ,having never had a hab check I was just trying to find out what they involved ,if it's simply a damp check and CO test I cant for the life of me see why,unless it was a condition of warranty,that anyone would pay for something they can so easily do themselves.

Vlad

I don't really know what they do, but my money in my own mind pays for the gas safety checks, mainly on the fridge, but all gas appliances. My last service was done by Hambiltons in Preston and virtually before I had backed in they were taking off the fridge vents and getting tools ready to clean and check that area

If no gas / burner checks are carried out, then like you think it only really comes down to a damp test which involves poking holes in panels, I would rather do that myself as well :)

Last edited:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I pay £120 (£100 + VAT) and think it well worth it. As with much in life, there are many things I can do myself and I like to do it myself if I am competent. However, when it comes to items like gas work and damp checks &c, I would rather pay somebody who is both qualified and has the correct tools. Just like the mechanical service really.

EDIT - I can't remember if it is a condition of our current insurance but the previous insurance policy included a condition about not paying out if a fire was caused by a gas installation not checked annually by a qualified engineer.
.... and what if I don't want to be EDITED?

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Having the gas pressure check annually is a must IMHO. You can fit your own CO monitor and check for damp but given the vehicles are bounced around all year I really want to know I haven't got a gas leak and am happy to pay for someone to do it.
Fridge service is the other item that is worth having done. Nothing screws up your holiday more than a non working fridge and they don't just keep working for ever without maintenance.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Having the gas pressure check annually is a must IMHO. You can fit your own CO monitor and check for damp but given the vehicles are bounced around all year I really want to know I haven't got a gas leak and am happy to pay for someone to do it

One of the tools required Like I said in my last post a manometer to do a tightness test of the gas supply, which I have in my tool kit. (retired gas fitter) so I will do my own hab check when warranty runs out.

John.

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
Its not a rip off. Engineers have to pay to be a member of the Approved Workshop Scheme, they have to have public and product liability insurance, the training on gas, 230v, 12v etc have to be renewed every 5 years, tools have to be re-calibrated every year, they are either running a van or running a workshop (both very expensive), taxes, NI, phones, etc etc... You wont find a rich motorhome engineer.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
When we helped out on caravan site, there used to be chap come and do people's hab check/ service on caravans ( caravan medic, I think he worked as) and I think the people who payed him would be amazed how little he did. Never had any proper kit like a torque wrench for wheel bearings or wheel nuts.

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
Manic - thats why you should pick a member of the Approved Workshop Scheme as they are all checked, have the tools, insurance and training.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I havnt had one done yet but if someone here in Spain said they could and would for £135 I would let them do it straight away !! I'm a time served tradesman too but it's each to his own ! I can get £800 for a garden wall build and materials come to £400 I'm happy with £400 ,, but I know bugger all about habitation checks!! Seems ok but like I said I havnt had one done yet!! Lol.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Its not a rip off. Engineers have to pay to be a member of the Approved Workshop Scheme, they have to have public and product liability insurance, the training on gas, 230v, 12v etc have to be renewed every 5 years, tools have to be re-calibrated every year, they are either running a van or running a workshop (both very expensive), taxes, NI, phones, etc etc... You wont find a rich motorhome engineer.
I totally agree with you. I think a habitation check and service is a must and gives peace of mind. There are more procedures in place now. I have just put my motorhome through it's annual habitation check and service with Leisure Tech at Clitheroe and I am very pleased with it. They are very thorough and their attention to detail is spot on and worth every penny.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
There's an obvious difference between van conversions and coach built motorhomes. Recently I was looking at a van conversion on a dealers forecourt and when I pointed out that the floor had delaminated he replied that it had a steel floor so it was ok. When I pointed out the cause he changed his mind. End of.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I find it mildly amusing?. But People have "Hab" checks done, Most of which DO NOT include a check of the refrigerator. I paid over £150, just to keep the "warranty" Alive a few years back! on a caravan. When I looked at the Check list. It`s virtually identical to to the checks I carry out several time per year, but NO MENTION of a Frig check!!. I usually have a look at the Flame, the Critical part. Vacuum the detritus out, check the flue is unobstructed. beyond that there is not a lot else can be done. IF they fail 99% of the time its a NEW frig or at least a new Unit. Put the gas on, spray Soapy water of the joints and any "suspect" area`s. is as good a test as any.

But then, I was the man, who Tested the Equipment that the Gas fitters where trained on!!. And was more qualified, than the Southern gas Board`s Chief Engineer!

Pete

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Manic - thats why you should pick a member of the Approved Workshop Scheme as they are all checked, have the tools, insurance and training.
I never used them personally, just saying what a rip-off these things can be and the block would spend more time on his phone than doing a service.
Think I got the name wrong it should of been cara-medic, maybe a franchise type thing.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I think there is a lot of confusion about habitation checks & fridges.

A habitation check will test the gas system for leaks, which will include the fridge, but unless specifically mentioned, it won't include a service of the fridge. Quite a few people confuse a safety check with a service.

Some fridges can't be properly serviced without taking them out & that can be an expensive procedure.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I find it mildly amusing?. But People have "Hab" checks done, Most of which DO NOT include a check of the refrigerator. I paid over £150, just to keep the "warranty" Alive a few years back! on a caravan. When I looked at the Check list. It`s virtually identical to to the checks I carry out several time per year, but NO MENTION of a Frig check!!. I usually have a look at the Flame, the Critical part. Vacuum the detritus out, check the flue is unobstructed. beyond that there is not a lot else can be done. IF they fail 99% of the time its a NEW frig or at least a new Unit. Put the gas on, spray Soapy water of the joints and any "suspect" area`s. is as good a test as any.

But then, I was the man, who Tested the Equipment that the Gas fitters where trained on!!. And was more qualified, than the Southern gas Board`s Chief Engineer!

Pete
Your final sentence is the most important, Pete, a qualification most of us don't enjoy :)

The habitation service I pay for doesn't include a fridge service but it does include a check to see whether it (and other appliances) needs a service. We are currently awaiting parts arrival to book it in for a fridge service, something which I would far rather have done by a qualified engineer than risk doing myself :)

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
If I was in the market for a second hand motorhome I wouldn't be interested if it didn't have a record of servicing or habitation checks. Who would want to buy a neglected motorhome? I know you can also have major water ingress problems with brand new ones as well. I have been a victim.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
all businesses have overheads just the gas side will require resits every 5 years ,public liability insurance a flue gas anaylser cost around 600 and needs calibrating every year at 130 a time with a life time of 5 years and of course theres that dirty word to take in to account, profit
then theres downtime holidays etc to be paid for running a business isnt the bed of roses it looks from the customers size

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
2 hours,absolutely no parts or materials used......£135!!!Im a time served tradesman and I can only dream of earning that for 2 hours labour.Think I will come back as a Motorhome/caravan service man in the next life.
i dont think 55 per hour is exspensive i think we can assume the op was always employed leaving the risk of running a company to someone else

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

That looks like everything I look at, not always and every time but often twice or 3 times a Year. Some of it every time we prep up to go out. The last Hab I had done was a requirement to keep the warranty intact.

Useful to keep in the van though, I would think?.

I am however WELL appreciative of the cost of carrying these checks out in Labour. and the overhead costs of Business. When I was Examining Boilers on Traction Engines and stationary Engines etc;. the Professional Indemnity Insurance alone was in excess of £3000-00pa. Having the Thickness Meter recalibrated was £90+ and the Boiler test Gauge cert; cost £30-00 a time, and that was Guy I knew well who did it "at cost" for me!. And that was Before the cost of Travel was factored in, 2 Journeys, one Cold exam; one Hot exam. Supervision of repair(s) was a nightmare, The arguments about what was required??. To be honest it really wasn't worth it and was the reason many of the big insurers would not Inspect, after about 1985ish.

Pete

OP
OP
Camper634
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
i dont think 55 per hour is exspensive i think we can assume the op was always employed leaving the risk of running a company to someone else
I'm afraid you assume incorrectly.I was self employed for 22 years so understand a little bit about the hidden costs.I also think 2 hours works out at £67.50 per hour not £55.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back