Cost of fitting a second leisure battery (1 Viewer)

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Went to a local caravan/motorhome dealers today and asked cost of fitting second leisure battery, they said it would cost approx £45 + cost of battery, seems ok to me, what do others think? Please note im a newbie and the thought of fitting it myself makes me cringe with fear (and tears :cry:) in case I cock up!! pardon the expression

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I woulnd't have said that was a bad price - we had a leisure battery fitted last year and it cost us £30 plus the battery but that was when it was already going in for a service.

Quite apart from the labour cost (and it can take a bit of time depending on where the battery is going to be located) they have to supply the cables too and possibly a battery box, so £45 isn't bad.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Sound fair if they do it properly.
I had to take seats out, run extra cable, sliced hand on shard of metal (still have scar), cleared up blood etc.
Cable + fuses + connectos cost etc

Personally I enjoy the DIY :)

Remember (as mentioned everywhere) - additional batteries *should* be matched in terms of capacity and ideally age/make/model (E.G.replace all at same time). It'll work if you don't but the capacity will reduce and the longjevity of the batteires will be reduced. How long is anyones guess....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
themountaintiger

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Sound fair if they do it properly.
I had to take seats out, run extra cable, sliced hand on shard of metal (still have scar), cleared up blood etc.
Cable + fuses + connectos cost etc

Personally I enjoy the DIY :)

Remember (as mentioned everywhere) - additional batteries *should* be matched in terms of capacity and ideally age/make/model (E.G.replace all at same time). It'll work if you don't but the capacity will reduce and the longjevity of the batteires will be reduced. How long is anyones guess....

yes i was considering changing the original battery, it is 2.5 yrs old, last time out id plugged tv into 12v, playing dvd, but current battery only lasted about an hour, well tv screen went black and on checking control panel voltage was reduced down from 12.8v to 11v. went to bed woke up and it was down to 10.2v, trickle charged it back from cab battery...

Thing is being a newbie not sure what to expect from batteries

im definitely not DIY er, more of an internet marketing geek, so paying would give me piece of mind and no scars!!!

:Sad:

Upvote 0

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
8 years, but had caravans & Tents before that
hi just fitted a second battery to my van, took about an hour, parts cost
£15 for plastic box from towsure, £16 for cable and fittings.
So for your price i wouds say quite fair taking in a bit of labour cost.

One tip though i bought my 2nd battery from the same auto factors
as the first one, cost a lot less then a dealer £62 for a 110AH
:thumb:

Upvote 0

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
I fitted mine myself and I am not great at DIY. It's not a hard job.

Can I ask though how necessary the plastic battery box is? The reason I ask is I bought one but when I went to fit the batteries I discovered the box was too small so I didn't bother using it, I've just strapped the batteries to the floor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
additional battery

One thing I would say is that it`s probably best that the batteries be the same amperage, not a good set-up having two batteries, one at say 85 amps and one at 110.
better they match.

Upvote 0

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Went to a local caravan/motorhome dealers today and asked cost of fitting second leisure battery, they said it would cost approx £45 + cost of battery, seems ok to me, what do others think? Please note im a newbie and the thought of fitting it myself makes me cringe with fear (and tears :cry:) in case I cock up!! pardon the expression

The job is not a complicated one, do a bit of research and have ago yourself.

Doug...

Upvote 0

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
8 years, but had caravans & Tents before that
I fitted mine myself and I am not great at DIY. It's not a hard job.

Can I ask though how necessary the plastic battery box is? The reason I ask is I bought one but when I went to fit the batteries I discovered the box was too small so I didn't bother using it, I've just strapped the batteries to the floor.

I put it in a box ,
a: to keep everything tidy.
b: the box has a lid so no chance of anything falling across the terminals.

Towsure sell veriouse sized boxes with a strap and adjustable sections inside to help
stop the battery moving around.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back