LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
We have just booked our 7.4 metre burstner through CC&C on brittany ferries to Santander, the no frills version for the middle of December. We prefer it because it departs at 8.15 in the morning. For 2 adults and one dog in a pet friendly cabin it cost £ 428, which - considering we don't have to drive through France in winter is a pretty good price.

When we come home in May we always use the tunnel.

Ginny

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Always use the tunnel and am happy to travel at 'unsocial hours'. Can't stand the messing about getting on the ferry anymore. Last time with Brittany Ferries was indeed the very last time. The cost differential is far outweighed by the sheer convenience and efficiency. We travelled just after the fire and the delay for us was twenty five minutes, the only time we've ever had a wait.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
No looking at it again , I got excited there, my three grand gets a tenner so you need three times that to get to your question about £100 so it looks as if you have to spend 10 grand to get £100 of tunnel tickets
Thanks for that, very helpful.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We have just booked our 7.4 metre burstner through CC&C on brittany ferries to Santander, the no frills version for the middle of December. We prefer it because it departs at 8.15 in the morning. For 2 adults and one dog in a pet friendly cabin it cost £ 428, which - considering we don't have to drive through France in winter is a pretty good price.

When we come home in May we always use the tunnel.

Ginny
I take it that is one way only.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I take it that is one way only.

Yes, but taking into account the cost of diesel, tolls, driving through snow etc and the prospect of sleeping in freezing weather it is well worth it. The journey from Santander to Southern Spain is a dream, excellent roads and no tolls.

Ginny

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Always use the tunnel and am happy to travel at 'unsocial hours'. Can't stand the messing about getting on the ferry anymore. Last time with Brittany Ferries was indeed the very last time. The cost differential is far outweighed by the sheer convenience and efficiency. We travelled just after the fire and the delay for us was twenty five minutes, the only time we've ever had a wait.

Us too bloody ferries are like cattle trucks and all that messing around and queuing up no thanks cant stand it, by the time they've loaded the poxy thing the train has arrived and we're on our way. Don't see how anyone could possibly enjoy any part of it, its almost as bad as the airport experience in my opinion.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Yes, but taking into account the cost of diesel, tolls, driving through snow etc and the prospect of sleeping in freezing weather it is well worth it. The journey from Santander to Southern Spain is a dream, excellent roads and no tolls.

Ginny
Not had to drive through snow yet (touch wood), my diesel cost from Calais to Benidorm was €270 last winter. My toll fares were just over €16.00 and my journey was mainly on duel carriageways/motorways. Sleeping in freezing weather has never been a problem, we have heating but have not needed it once under the continental quilt. However, I do understand that's it's each and every one to their own.

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Not had to drive through snow yet (touch wood), my diesel cost from Calais to Benidorm was €270 last winter. My toll fares were just over €16.00 and my journey was mainly on duel carriageways/motorways. Sleeping in freezing weather has never been a problem, we have heating but have not needed it once under the continental quilt. However, I do understand that's it's each and every one to their own.

Crikey, our tolls were over £130 euros, but then we go motorway all the way down. Mike likes an easy drive rather than roundabouts and speed limits.

Ginny

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I'm booking a crossing at the beginning of September, Dieppe/Newhaven - DFDS/LDLines.
Return = £100 (including 20% discount for being over 60).
Booked single x 2 as a return was £35 more...
We are over 60 bit the cheapest ferry quoted in September was £208.
How on earth did you get it that cheap.?

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
You lucky buggers .......

We live in the Isle of Man, every time we want to go anywhere is costs a minimum of £250 - usually between £350 and £400

Then we have to cross the channel ......

homercostello

Free Member
Jul 11, 2010
kidsgrove staffs
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs globetrotter
Exp
9 years
for the over sixties on the newhaven to dieppe route you have to phone ldlines direct to get the 20 percent discount. not possible on line.(y)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Hi , you would not know if you both have to over 60 or just 1 of the two travelling . Thanks Colyn

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Crikey, our tolls were over £130 euros, but then we go motorway all the way down. Mike likes an easy drive rather than roundabouts and speed limits.

Ginny
Ginny, have a look at website about France.com. The N10 route is almost Toll free and nearly all duel carriage way. You can do Spain (Benidorm) toll free on very good roads too. If you need more detail drop me a pm

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We are over 60 bit the cheapest ferry quoted in September was £208.
How on earth did you get it that cheap.?
I just went onto LDLine's site, entered vehicle details, date, etc. then just clicked back/forwards a day or two to find the lowest price. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back