Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Just worked out roughly the comparative costs of getting to Benidorm this time of year in our MH plus trailer.Using the Poole Santander ferry the overall cost including fuel and 3 stops in Spain using ACSI card and cabin on Ferry,around £530.Using the Tunnel assuming 6 stops, around£510,allthough for us living in the Southwest would have to add another £50 to get to Folkstone and extra nights stop UK side.So fairly equal in monetary terms but don't have the drive through France.We have decided to use the Ferry.ps have assumed around 200 miles per day also not using toll roads,if French tolls were added would obviously be quite a bit more but fewer stops.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
is that £530 return? or are both figures 1 way as i thought the ferry was around the £800 mark return.

OP
OP
hdvrod

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
One way on Ferry,:Sad: and they wont let me take my motorbike on the plane

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
No need to use FRENCH TOLLS..BUSBY::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We've taken a very leisurely trek so far, we're in Calpe just to the north of Benidorm.
The tunnel was discounted by Tesco vouchers.
We've used about 3 tanks of fuel, on a standard 3.5 ton van on a fiat base.
2 aires in France cost 5 Euros. One was free and the other was by ticket and I'm amazingly honest.
Tolls were a bit steep (about €50) mainly because we took extra motorway in shocking conditions on the way down. And I've a new Liber-t device and I loved the excitement of going through tolls without stopping.
Fewer aires in Spain so we stopped at 2 campsites on our way across, at Acsi rates about 18€, but the one in Pamplona was shocking. Zaragoza was fine.
Since we've been on the coast we've spent most time in commercial aires. A bit more expensive (12€) but with good facilities.
So all things considered I'm happy with the costs, the wine is fairly cheap, the sunshine is free.
Oh, and one extra expense, H was feeding a toll booth in Spain and the wind ripped a 10€ note from her hand never to be seen again. There's a lot to be said for electronics.:cry:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Its not just cost though is it. We all have different criteria..Some people dont like a long drive every day,some just do not like boats, others do not like France or The French.( i dont know enough to make a comment) I personally dislike the journey down to Dover ,,much prefer route to Newhaven which also avoids another outward bound route that i dont like,Calais to Rouen. I dont like using Motorways unless to bypass a busy city. It would be a boring world without diversity and if we were all alike there would not be so much FUN on this site. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We are doing Hull to Zeebrugge ferry as wife didn't fancy the drive down to South Coast and the bay of Biscay (me neither) then down France and into Spain.

On the Ferry 15th Feb if anybody else is on will say Hi.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back