Cornwall This Weekend

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by RS_rob, Aug 26, 2014.

1. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

Were off to Cornwall on Thursday for 5 days

Dont know where we are going to stop though just going to drive down the Motorway until we can turn of onto a coastal road

(y)

• Like Like x 3
  2. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Hope you and Mandy have a wonderful time. As usual with you Cornish travellers ............... I am envious. :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. simply

simply Read Only Funster

There are lots of lovely little coastal roads in Cornwall leading down to adorable little bays and cracking beaches - where there is nowhere to park and nowhere to turn around..
    You have been warned !

• Like Like x 6
  4. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

Thanks Joy gotta make up for missing Malvern & its Mands birthday Friday so a good way to spend it...
    See you @ Lincoln hopefully.

• Like Like x 2
  5. OddSocks

OddSocks Read Only Funster

BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cautious:

Plan your route well. We spent a few months in Cornwall, and it is oh too easy to end up on a narrow road. We have so many scratches down both sides of our van, even a dent on the pod from a low hanging tree. :mad: So many winding narrow roads and they are often very bad condition. Don't just follow your nose. This way lies lots of polishing and bad language! :eek:

• Like Like x 4
  6. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

I was thinking of Turning off the M5 & following the A361 & A39 so hopefully nothing to narrow.
    I remember my dad taking us down some diddy roads when I was a teen.

• Like Like x 2
  7. simply

simply Read Only Funster

Sounds more like a tour of North Devon to me. At least you aren't taking on the North Devon link road on a summer Saturday. Enjoy !

• Like Like x 1
  8. OddSocks

OddSocks Read Only Funster

The A39 I know well! And the A390 is pretty safe too. Go see The Eden Project! It is cool!

• Like Like x 2
  9. electrajohnt

electrajohnt Read Only Funster

No allegiance other than would go again. Padstow touring park is good site but not next to sea. Alternatively try Treyarnon Bay site

• Like Like x 3
  10. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Expect some of the coastal sites to be busy and possibly full. We are off to Cornwall on Sunday and the site we are going to said they were full right up until the Sunday. This might have been just cornish exaggeration but it is still the high season until the end of this coming weekend.
    However, a poor weather forecast will have people packing up early. :unsure:

• Like Like x 1
  11. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

If you're going to The Eden Project then stay at Doubletrees Farm in St Blazey Gate. £16 a night for 2 people with EHU and great facilities - even got free wi-fi in the reception lounge! Bus stops outside for Eden, Newquay and St Austell.

• Like Like x 3
  12. kglblue

kglblue Funster

What's wrong with straight down the A30?
    West Cornwall has been absolutely heaving for weeks, but the crowds have lessened this week. If you fancy a steak, try the Bolingey Inn, Bolingey village just a mile from Perranporth. Highly recommended.

• Like Like x 1
  13. colyboy

colyboy Funster

One or two "aire" stops you may like:-

GORRAN HAVEN £6 pn N:50.24021 W:004.79151
    PRAA SANDS £8 24hrs (right on the beach) N:50.10388 E:005.39053
    TINTAGEL 3 "aires" in the all at £3 pn (best one just through town on right hard standing and grass in the car park
    Brilliant "Britstops" in Cornwall

colyboy

• Like Like x 3
  14. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

Thanks Guys just what I needed as we arent booking anything just going to wing it (y)

15. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

In Cornwall at the moment was up at Tintagel and got last pitch !! on Monday (booked Sunday) but plenty MHs in the carpark
    Now down at Eden Valley Park and plenty spaces (road to it very narrow!!!) But lovely site £17 inc EHU
    Going to Eden Project tomorrow then stopping (hopefully) at 1 of 2 britstops close by,Jamaica Inn sign says you can park overnight for small fee if having something to eat
    Hope you enjoy but stay on the main roads !!!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. kglblue

kglblue Funster

Heat wave predicted for early September apparently caused by a hurricane on the East coast of America. Temperatures in the mid to high 20's Celsius. I'II wait and see if the forecasters have got it right. I have lived in Cornwall for 25 years and still love it. But according to the EU it's one of the poorest regions in the whole of Europe. I don't feel poor or disadvantaged, I've been to parts of Europe which are so poor you still see carts pulled by donkeys. I watch the news on my telly and give thanks that I don't live in Israel, Gaza, Syria, America or the Ukraine, in the UK we have stability which counts for a lot.
    I was so saddened that in the USA, a 9 year old girl, killed her instructor whilst being shown how to operate a Uzi automatic weapon. Glad I was born and live in the UK.
    A country where children are shown weapons and encouraged to use them I find strange and bizarre.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Tincataylor

Tincataylor Funster

Don't go near Land's End as it has been ruined by Mr De Savray but just up the road is Cape Cornwall where you can park in the NT car park and watch the seals if your keen eyed enough. The Beach at Sennan is also outstanding.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Wissel

Wissel Read Only Funster

Where is the stop in Gorran Haven? Is it the main car park? (If so I didn't know they allowed overnight parking, hope they do as Gorran is lovely)

Praa Sands is great to stay at (for a car park), we stay there at least once a month. Car park is right next to the beach, the little cafe is great (on the beach) for breakfast and the pub is really nice (also on the beach).

Tintagel is great if you enjoy walking but ignore TomTom (this is a good tip in general driving around Cornwall in a motorhome). Take the A39 to Camelford, then follow the signs to Tintagel. TomTom likes to take you along a back road that is barely wide enough for a car.

19. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Greetings,
    If you are members of Nat.Trust (or EVEN BETTER!!! Nat Trust for Scotland) there is all day parking at Godreavy just north of Hayle. Surfing, seals (no, not seals doing surfing???) and glorious views.

20. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

Eden project was well worth the visit now up at padstow touring park £30.50 per night !!!! Was finished at Eden Project too early to use the Britstops I had planned to use. Tried quite a few CLS and all were full or could not take MH over 6m got to one about 4 miles from padstow can't remember the name but turning into site was too tight for 7.5 MH + towbar bike rack so had to reverse almost half mile down single track was not amused as told them size of Mh when phoned to check availability
    Here as boss wants to cycle the camel trail.