Cornwall - suitable stop enroute? (1 Viewer)

Caggsie

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
N Wales
Funster No
Exp
2 yrs
I have booked into tintagel CC site tomorrow and had planned on leaving early in the morning. Then I got to thinking it might be worth leaving this evening after hubby comes home from work to miss the main drag of traffic at morning rushour and get the main part of the journey out of the way. Coming from North Wales. Plan would be to get down to end of M5.

Where would be the best place enroute to stop?

regards

Karen

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Karen
Don't know if it's the best place to stop, but I would use the last motorway services on the M5, saves looking for a site for just one night.

OP
OP
C

Caggsie

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
N Wales
Funster No
Exp
2 yrs
Thanks scotjimland - do they not charge just a much as a site? Not sure as I've never done it.

regards
Karen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The services on the M5 are cramped and they both have security/parking officers demanding parking money, they are best avoided for stops longer than 2 hours.

You have had the best tip already ::bigsmile:

Posted via Mobile Device

OP
OP
C

Caggsie

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
N Wales
Funster No
Exp
2 yrs
Thanks for all your replies, the likelyhood of getting there before 10pm will be slim. I have been in contact with North Somerset council car parks asking if there was any available parking in their long stay car parks this is the response I got. Will wait till hubby gets home and see what he says. Unless I get a better place.

This may be of help to others.

Hello Karen,

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry.

The only car park that will accomodate a motor home in the North Somerset Council car parks is the Locking Road, coach, lorry and car park situated at Francis Fox Road, post code BS23 3DE. It is a pay and display car park and you will have to pay the coach/lorry fee of £6.00.

If you arrive before 06:00pm you can drive straight in and purchase a ticket at the machines, by pressing the coach/lorry button (6 x £1.00 coins) 1 situated on the right hand side as you drive through, the other situated in the middle of the car park under the CCTV cameras. If you arrive after 06:00pm, you will need to press coach/lorry button and pay the £6.00 at the barrier. On leaving the car park if the barrier is still down, you just drive towards the exit side and the barrier automatically lets you out,

Hope the above helps and have a lovely time in Cornwall

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
A while back someone posted about an Aire on the North Devon Link Road between Barnstaple and J27, M5 besides when you exit J27, M5 almost as soon as you come off the motorway there is a layby used by lorries and motorhomes, good for an overnight as are other laybyes on the link road. Then take the link road through Barnstaple/Bideford and on to Tintagel. There are plenty of off road laybys all the way down where you could overnight free of charge. Enjoy your trip.:thumb::thumb:

Tinyk

Free Member
Mar 9, 2009
Funster No
If you come down to junction 28 Cullompton, then go through the town and pick up the signs for Exeter, this road runs along side the motorway to the next junction, on it both sides are laybys seperated from the road by hedges which would give ideal wild camping sites for a quick over night stop.

On holiday at the moment or i would try and put links to a map.

Kevin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
There is a truckstop (free I think) just off the A30 next to a garage at the Callington turn off..............there is also a Subway there which doesn't close until 10:30pm too..........handy for a bite to eat :winky:

Boo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back