Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
we are at Eddiesrŷtyûûuu DS z

Ha, evidence of my issue. We are getting a 21st century mantrap fitted to the MH on the 13th. Assuming we're not going to sit in the lounge while @eddievanbitz does his work, I was wondering what there was to do with a couple of dogs (one of whom just walked across my iPad while writing this).

I could take the tow car but don't really want to. Suggestions please incl buses, taxi etc

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 41
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
We were there early March. They will give you a ride into Taunton, taxi back about £10. It was a miserable day for us in the wet. There is a branch of Anne Summers but spending all day there will get you noticed!
A great tea shop who do a great breakfast.
And a proper old pub called the Racehorse.
We deliberately didn't take our dog as we did not think it would be suitable.
Cornish Farm is a well kept site with spotless facilities.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Get your pocket seriously dipped. :rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
We were also there 7th/8th March. We were dropped off in Taunton by the lovely Ashley, went to Debenham's for breakfast (!), then went to the museum at the castle. Spent an interesting 2 - 3 hours there, then went to find somewhere for lunch. Had a walk around the shops then taxi back to Cornish Farm. All finished and shown how the alarm and Non-Starter worked. I thought the day would really drag, but it didn't ....... and it was raining for most of the day too.

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Ah just thought out of the box.

There's a kennels 2 miles away. We could put the hounds in there so we are free to visit err Anne Summers :oops:

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
As said above, Ash will drive you into Taunton, complete with dogs and there is plenty to do there and the ring of bells pub is as good a place as any to have lunch. The park at the far end of the main drag is good and if you head towards the Rigby pitch and keep going, you can walk back to @eddievanbitz 's Gaff along the cycle path. (y) Not too far and great for exercising the dogs so they sleep well if you stay the night and for when you get the handover and this is comprehensive if you are getting an alarm system.o_O
Say hi to the team from me and tell Ed I will be in after the hols for my B2B:LOL:

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
@Sidney I'm pleased you asked, as it saved me doing it.

I'm down there May 10th for an alarm and stop/start and taking my Lab along. I've booked an extra couple of nights to chill and get a taste for the area, while I decide whether to head deeper south and revisit some of my old haunts, or head east, or west, or north !

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
If you do decide to take a "toad". There is a plethora of places to visit. Glastonbury is not far, along with Montecute House, (background to several film and T-V), Sherbourne, is less than an hour away. the Yeovilton Air museum is on the doorstep. Lots of nice little hostelries too!!(y). I lived at Yeovil for over 18years and the west country was my "District", all the way to the Tamar!. Taunton, is nice enough, but is (was) more angled into "shopping"!, which if it is your "bag":D2 would include "Clarke's Village" @ Street.

Cornish Farm. Was good value, IMV.(y) And the "Boys" did an excellent job on my R-V. Even chasing down an elusive, "False Alarm" at a later date, the result of it being Parked on a building site, during a self build, we think the "meeces" got in under the "hood" and had had a chew at the wiring!.:(

Last edited:

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Vivary Park is a good place to exercise your dogs, this is at the top end of the High Street, I'm not sure how long you walk your dogs for but you can go right through the park past the cricket pitch and then there are footpaths to walk on as well, taking you out to Sherford.
If the weather is ok then there are numerous cafes that you can sit outside with your dog, there are a couple in the High Street and a couple more near the market house (wildwood restaurant), in the centre of the town. It might be busy as I think the kids are off school but you won't be short of options.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The Ring O Bells, and Mambos both welcome dogs and do good food, and heated seating outside if you prefer to site in the fresh air.

Being the County Town there are plenty of shops and pavement cafes, bars etc, and as DaveK said, Vivary Park us a beautiful park in the town itself

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
What you need to do is get yourself down to the Taunton man crèche, wifi, cheap beer/food, refillable coffee cup. Just ask Ashley to drop you off at Wetherspoons :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We went to Wetherspoons when we were there at 10 a m for a coffee. Couldn't believe the place was full and everyone was eating burgers and chips and drinking beer! They start supping early in Somerset.....

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We went to Wetherspoons when we were there at 10 a m for a coffee. Couldn't believe the place was full and everyone was eating burgers and chips and drinking beer! They start supping early in Somerset.....
Not just there Bob, our local one is The Old Post Office in Northwich where we go for brekky before the Saturday big shop and the nine o'clock gang are in there with the paper and betting slips doing the horses and having the first pint of the day. :confused:

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
First time we used our screen house as we had booked an extra night so just walked dogs a few time around orchard and part of racecourse and lunch of sarnies and flask of tea. Second time just a half day job so sat outside on Eddies chairs drinking coffee from his machine. We're going for a third time in May so doing same as first time.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
If the weather is fine, there are walks around the site. We walked to a village called Stoke St Mary, left out of the site then through an orchard on your left, over the racecourse, then field paths to the village. It's about 2.5 miles. There is a pub with reasonable food, can't remember the name but there is only one. As for Taunton itself, as previously mentioned, museum, park, shops Bills restaurant for breakfast. We were there last year for 3 days and again last month, if you have bus pass and are a mean bugger like me, buses from Taunton to all other local towns. Mrs G dragged me to Clark's shopping village in Street, as if we hadn't spent enough money at Eddie's:whistle:
PS if you go to weatherspoons, don't go to the Perkin Warbeck there are two spoons in Taunton this one is the pits:sick:

Last edited:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
If you fancy posh nosh, try the Castle Hotel in the centre of town. There is a bar / bistro option, or the full works in the restaurant. Thought our lunch in the bar was top class food and reasonably good value.

The restaurant is a tad pricey, but has a fine reputation.

What with all the shopping mrs mikebeaches indulged in as well, the reversing camera fitted at Vanbitz worked out more expensive than I was anticipating.... ;)

But Vanbitz did us proud. (y)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If you fancy posh nosh, try the Castle Hotel in the centre of town. There is a bar / bistro option, or the full works in the restaurant. Thought our lunch in the bar was top class food and reasonably good value.

The restaurant is a tad pricey, but has a fine reputation.

What with all the shopping mrs mikebeaches indulged in as well, the reversing camera fitted at Vanbitz worked out more expensive than I was anticipating.... ;)

But Vanbitz did us proud. (y)
If you are there in a few weeks time, the wisteria on the front of the Castle Hotel is sight to behold.
IMG_0247.JPG

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
If you do come to Sherborne DO NOT COME VIA YEOVIL, stay on A303 to Sparkford and come via Queen Camel and Marston Magna. There is a horrid bit of road works as you leave Yeovil for Sherborne which has seen me delayed by 30 mins. I know a variety of detours but the odd senior moment sees me forgetting until too late!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

At McDonalds they are queing at the drive throughs at 7a.m.

County Store used to be excellent for breakfast & meals. if you could find a seat.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
At McDonalds they are queing at the drive throughs at 7a.m.

County Store used to be excellent for breakfast & meals. if you could find a seat.

I'm not sure if it's still open, it's on the brink of shutting down if it hasn't already, a real shame, it's been in Taunton for many years.

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Eddie put me in touch with a van hirer in Taunton. They gave us and our dogs a lift to the hirer and we went along the coast for the day.Had a second night at Cornish farm after handover.The cost of a van for the day is nothing to what van Bitz will relieve you off.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
First time I went to Eddies, in the pouring rain with Rosie (our dog) into town and found a pub, which was great.

The second time, I was really busy, I set up office in his reception, and did some work. At lunchtime, I went off with Rosie to find a pub, in the pouring rain! Which was also great.

Not sure if you're spotting a concurrent theme here! :D

I have a third job that I want @eddievanbitz to do later this year. Could we arrange for there to be no pouring rain this time? :D

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
First time I went to Eddies, in the pouring rain with Rosie (our dog) into town and found a pub, which was great.

The second time, I was really busy, I set up office in his reception, and did some work. At lunchtime, I went off with Rosie to find a pub, in the pouring rain! Which was also great.

Not sure if you're spotting a concurrent theme here! :D

I have a third job that I want @eddievanbitz to do later this year. Could we arrange for there to be no pouring rain this time? :D
Checked your record. You apparently booked rain to justify going to the pub with Rosie (cracking dog BTW)

Just select the SUNNY option on the booking form.

It's not hard :doh:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I'm not sure if it's still open, it's on the brink of shutting down if it hasn't already, a real shame, it's been in Taunton for many years.
It's still open in a reduced format and no doubles at the main Post Office

I used to love it, but they do daft things to upset their customers. Last time I ate there I queued for ages at the food counter, waiting my turn, aware of the disapproving stare across the room from Lyn, my wife who had selected a nice healthy salad

" An all day breakfast please"

"Sorry we stop serving all day breakfasts an Noon"

"Do you close lunchtime then?"

"Oh no, we're open all day":doh:

Debenhams breakfasts are much better lol

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
It's still open in a reduced format and no doubles at the main Post Office

I used to love it, but they do daft things to upset their customers. Last time I ate there I queued for ages at the food counter, waiting my turn, aware of the disapproving stare across the room from Lyn, my wife who had selected a nice healthy salad

" An all day breakfast please"

"Sorry we stop serving all day breakfasts an Noon"

"Do you close lunchtime then?"

"Oh no, we're open all day":doh:

Debenhams breakfasts are much better lol

You should try Biddy's burger bar for breakfast mate, far better than any Spoons establishment!
For anybody visiting go past the Coal Orchard (Wetherspoon) as if you're going away from town and it's about 200 yards on the same side of the road.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Domestic Management is down at Vanbitz today (Wed 5th April), having a Growler & Tracker fitted to the van, and has just been taunting me with tales of the delicious burger she consumed at "The Ring of Bells" pub in Taunton. She even bought a burger (just the meat) for her spoilt princess of a Jack Russell whilst she was there.

Apparently I have soup for my lunch at work. :(

Cindy is currently attempting to find her way back to Vanbitz on foot with said dog, following some footpaths through fields or similar. Her navigation is not always the best, maybe she'll get lost with only said burger to sustain her... :sneaky:

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Domestic Management is down at Vanbitz today (Wed 5th April), having a Growler & Tracker fitted to the van, and has just been taunting me with tales of the delicious burger she consumed at "The Ring of Bells" pub in Taunton. She even bought a burger (just the meat) for her spoilt princess of a Jack Russell whilst she was there.

Apparently I have soup for my lunch at work. :(

Cindy is currently attempting to find her way back to Vanbitz on foot with said dog, following some footpaths through fields or similar. Her navigation is not always the best, maybe she'll get lost with only said burger to sustain her... :sneaky:
I can put your mind at rest, they are both back safe and sound and sat in reception with Cappuccino Frappe's and water bowl respectively

We are all having ice creams next (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back