LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We had in the Autosleeper the wind down/up ones I think they were the same as below..

ak205808_lge.jpg

They were fine, blocks of wood underneath, winder and bobs your uncle..

On the Rapido we have a different type, not that impressed.

A) Has anyone ever changed them over?
B) Is it worth the effort?
C) How many of you bother with corner steadies?
D) Is there a right way to use them, should the weight be on the steadies or the tyres?

Just wondering

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
steadies

Shiftzz steady on old boy:roflmto:We had them on ourRapido and never ever used them
but now we have an autotrail with winders and I use them all the time ::bigsmile:same type as in your picture if you are thinking of changing speak to an engineer bod there must be loads on this site:thumb: as retrofitting must be done in the right place on the body and they are not made to take the weight of the van :Cool:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
simple enough to fit.....but you may need to fabricate brackets to extend them lower to the ground.

mine, on the kontiki, were a simple angle iron box frame with the steadies bolted on and the frame bolted to the locker floors as close to the chassis as possible.

never allow the steadies to take any weight off the wheels...they are just to stop movement.

we used them ALL the time as the van would rock in the slightest of winds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The steadies usually fitted to Rapidos are the same type as I have on my Iveco, in fact the ones on my Iveco are off a Rapido. The advantage of these is they are designed to support weight where the wind down type are not. This type can support up to 500KGs each usually and make the motorhome much more stable on site than the caravan wind down type. Place a pad of wood (6" square by 1/2" thick is good) under the steady and lower it till it rests on the pad, then using the supplied steel bar put it through the holes and push down, this will lift the motorhome slightly so you probably want to park very slightly nose up to start with. Because these can carry up to 500KGs each you can use them to level side to side slightly.

D.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I use a jack under the tow ball

I use a jack under my tow ball to help support the RV... it helps that I have air suspension on the rear.

Bob

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Have the same style on my rapido have used them a couple of times not the best but do the job.I wouldent go to the expence of changing them.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
never use them Dave, unless we are in passionate throws, It helps the van to stop rocking. As I said, never used them Dave, however, if I was to be in a passionate throw, might have to. :winky:

Easy to change though,

But why not use a couple of cheap bottle jacks and some wood? or even a scissor jack and an electric drill modified to get them up and down?

or give up the passionate throws in the van and it won't rock :Cool:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I think your old van was pretty simular to mine:thumb: I have to say I have not had the need to use them. my van has a arse up attitude anyway and as I find I usualy park with the nose downhill I would prefer to have them on the front:Doh:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
never use them Dave, unless we are in passionate throws, It helps the van to stop rocking. As I said, never used them Dave, however, if I was to be in a passionate throw, might have to. :winky:

Easy to change though,

But why not use a couple of cheap bottle jacks and some wood? or even a scissor jack and an electric drill modified to get them up and down?

I guess I'll never need them then:Doh:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Never used mine...what are they for exactly? obviously not enough movement going on in our van!!

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
never use them Dave, unless we are in passionate throws, It helps the van to stop rocking.[HI] As I said, never used them Dave, however, if I was to be in a passionate throw, might have to. :winky:
[/HI]
Easy to change though,

:Blush:
Nikki would know what you were up to on your own if she came back to the van and the legs were down Paul :ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It just so happens..........

I have a pair of the Alko chassis type AND a pair of the wind up type going spare.. ÂŁ30.00 for either set ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
doesn't that put a bit of a dampener on proceedings Paul....having to nip outside and lower the steadies first ? :roflmto:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
On the few vans we've had that long overhangs we've used them. On a bessacarr and a couple of autotrails, I know they say you shouldn't; but all of them were attached to the chassis and I often used them to help with levelling:Smile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have the Rapido type on my Rapido :Eeek:

Only put them down once to see what they were like. I would need a can of WD40 and a mallet to shift them now.:Smile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun

[HI]Paul it ain't worth the effort for 2 minute a month mate:winky::ROFLMAO:
[/HI]

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
We do not have them and so far have not seen a need.

I think when this was discussed some time ago it may have been Hilldweller pointed to advice not to use them when the wind was very strong, something about without them there was some movement allowed if a sudden very strong gust happened and wind would not meet a totally fixed object, whereas with steadies there was a possibility of it blowing you over if strong enough.

However, I cannot get to grips with the physics as to why this should be the case, I just know if it will blow large artic trailers over, respect the wind and find somewhere sheltered.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
We have a long'ish over hang with a big garage with bed over the top, so use the steadies. During "the throes of passion" I have to use the steadies, also some heavy rope ties downs, a couple pof dozen housebricks and two scaffold boards.....by the time ive got that lot in place, she's either gone shopping......or i really can't be bothered::bigsmile:.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Hilda,

At your time in life do you really need corners steadies :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter

At his time of life everything needs steadying!

doesn't that put a bit of a dampener on proceedings Paul....having to nip outside and lower the steadies first ? :roflmto:

Shows a lack of planning skills inherent in the young.
Give him time, John.
Give him time.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
"Shows a lack of planning skills inherent in the young"

Spot on, the young don't realise that a period of exciting foreplay is replaced by two hours of begging and pleading when you get older. The romance of flowers and chocolates is replaced by NOT trolley surfing in asda, and "whispering sweet nothings" just involves saying "yes dear". One of lifes great levellers, is that all the youngsters banging away like bog doors in a gale......think it wont happen to THEM:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
ive fitted 4 electric jacks works ok

SHHHHH!!
He's Welsh.
Dont confuse the issue with technology.
To Shifty "DIY" means "Dont Involve Yourself".

Mind you, Kath could probably do it?:thumb:

I have steadies on Bessacar E745, use them all the time due to fairly long [STRIKE]hangover[/STRIKE].overhang.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We found steadies most useful when the kids slept in the luton, three kids messing about up there without the steadies down and the van would rock violently. :Smile:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
best thing's invented for corner steadies:thumb:
Link Removed

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Agree, had them on the caravan, bought for about a tenner from local carmping and caravan place.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back