Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im wanting to motorhome
Daft question, but do all motor homes come with, the stabilisers that is, not the corners

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I think you are asking about the metally things that 'some' vans have to stabilise them when on site Ruth. Not all vans have them and only needed if you have a really long overhang behind the rear wheels or you are a very, very large person. (We're talking Cyril Smith here.)(y)

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I think you are asking about the metally things that 'some' vans have to stabilise them when on site Ruth. Not all vans have them and only needed if you have a really long overhang behind the rear wheels or you are a very, very large person. (We're talking Cyril Smith here.)(y)
..........Or Bertie Bassett............:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ruth

Ruth

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Im wanting to motorhome
Yes the metal things BB how long does the van have to be before you get them, any idea

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Yes the metal things BB how long does the van have to be before you get them, any idea

There's no hard and fast rule some 7 metre vans don't have them but the first van we had was a tiny Romahome and it did have them. Is there any particular reason this is of interest?(y) Maybe Tootles the Brave can assist if I can't:D.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
$(KGrHqJHJEkFIgvq3iVPBSLk4ol-Fg~~60_57.JPG

My old Hymer camp 64 has them......you find the modern ones are a drop and lock thing. You can have them fitted if it bothers you. I find that when we use the rear lounge, it stops the van moving. You can see mine on the back, in the up position.

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Im thinking of windy weather and feeling seasick lol

That's a perfectly valid reason in something like our old Romahome but in a 3.5ton coachbuilt or van conversion less likely. There are always places to snuck the van in behind when the wind is strong. (unless your on a Caravan Club site where moving from the pitch between 2300 and 0700 may well result in injury)!;);) PS that's a sad aside from an embittered old man who is not a fan of the otherwise wonderful Caravan Club.(y)

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
View attachment 45263

My old Hymer camp 64 has them......you find the modern ones are a drop and lock thing. You can have them fitted if it bothers you. I find that when we use the rear lounge, it stops the van moving. You can see mine on the back, in the up position.

Ruth you will also notice that Toots allows his grey water to run freely.(y) This makes you popular wherever you may be!:D

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Thank you, good to know I can have them fitted if I feel the need

Preferably by the dealer you buy from when you buy it. That way any problems can be sorted easily without third party involvement. Sorry about the banter.......Toots and me are daft!:LOL:

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
That's what it's all about, gaining a bit of knowledge and having a bit of a laugh at the same time. As I said on your welcome thread there are many experienced individuals on here with bags of info and willing to give you guidance. Toots and self don't count so hope that someone sensible comes along later today!:D

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Ruth.. steadies can be retro-fitted.. but cost about £70 each.. so that's £140 + fitting.. it could would out quite expensive unless you DIY .. guesstimate ... £250

alternatively, use a car scissor jack and a lump of wood .. one should be enough, either buy from Halfords or second hand for a few quid from a car breakers. .. the jack supplied in the van may even be adequate.

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Ruth, if you do indeed get a m/h with rear steadies .... just be aware how easy it is to forget they are down when you drive off, which apart from ploughing up a nice site may also cause damage to the steadies and the chassis.
So a little tip I use is to place the winding handle across the clutch & brake pedals whenever they are lowered as a reminder.

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
Hi Ruth
I have them and I have a small Auto Sleeper Mezan, I have an overhang and they do stabilise the back when I'm getting in and out or standing at the back getting the wine out!

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
Joyce and Brian
That's a very good idea it is the thing I do worry about.

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Last year whilst in Portugal we watched ( could not get out of MH in time ) a MH drive off with them down.......... bent the legs and with the help of many MH owners we got them up in the end enough for the owner to drive away....
We use them when parked up for days and find they make a difference, however I have my "winding handle" covered in black and yellow tape and when the legs are down I put the handle across hand brake so cannot miss it if I try and drive away.

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have them fitted, van is 7.3m. They were an option but came already fitted.
We used them once to see how they worked, never bothered since, also they are quite heavy, ours are about 7kg each.

Upvote 0

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Our van came with them 6.4 metre autosleeper. I like them, it makes the van more stable and it's another job for Martin when we arrive somewhere (always good to keep husbands busy).

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back