Apr 28, 2008
rayleigh, essex.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
corgi reg

anyone who works on gas pipework or appliances must be gas safe reg for both, gas safe is the replacement safety organisation for corgi on both nat gas and lpg.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, corgi never had a qualification for working on motorhomes .they specifally said in their writings not for motorhomes .there are qualifications available from gas safe who are the ones who superceded corgi . if you google gas safe there is a telephone number you can ring .i spoke to one of their tec persons last year on this same subject. i believe its acops or something like that you need .there are not many gas fitters even ones who have lpg certificates that have one for m,homes. could be jason i spoke to. makes a mockery of habitation certificates etc. give it a google makes interesting reading.cheers alan

GerardJanice

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
Funster No
It is not a legal requirement that only a registered person can work on gas in caravans / motorcaravans. Anyone can do it, but it might be safer for you if it is done by someone who is competent.
If you want to install your own house gas boiler, you can if you are competent but not registered. But you can't do it for reward, eg for others.

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
Hi

Here is the link for the Regs

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1998/19982451.htm

I co-ordinate assessments for the Gas Safe Registered guys.

It is correct that the guys do not have to be a member of the competent persons scheme (Gas Safe) to work on motorhome appliances UNLESS the motorhome is for hire. As is the same case for Residential Park Homes (Statics).

However it must be understood that if you work (or anyone else for that matter works on) your motorhome and they are not 'competent' (and this means that a competent person will have sat assessments and passed) and cause a fatality the penalties are just as severe for you, or anyone else, as it would be for a guy who is competent and registered to work on household appliances but is not competent to work on motorhomes or caravans. In most cases now, anyone found to be working illegally will have an automatic prison term. Unfortunately this information is not given out nationally, it is only reported on in the Gas Safe monthly magazine.

If you want someone who is competent to work on your motorhome who is competent then you are looking for someone who has the following qualifications:

HTRLP2 for working on Fires/Heaters
WATLP2 for working on Water Heaters
CKR1 for working on cookers
REFLP2 for working on refrigerators.

All you have to do is go on the Gas Safe website and you can locate a qualified person in your area by putting in your post code and the quals as listed above.

Read the regs they make interesting reading.

Hope this helps

(tin hat at the ready)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi pammy ,think we,ve been here before. something was going to change last june havnt heard anything or did it not happen.
i say look at part A section 2.-5 like that bit.
i do agree competance is always required .
the regulations still as far as i know dont cover self propelled vehicles.
but i do agree care and attention is needed and some knowledge is required .
some people cant even change bottles without causing a disaster.
have fun keep the steel helmet on more low fliers coming in. cheers alan.

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
hi pammy ,think we,ve been here before. something was going to change last june havnt heard anything or did it not happen.

Hi Alan, yes we've been here so many times I've lost count.

As for the changes, things are happening gradually but not with the owned motorhome/caravan side of things. Gas Safe stated that they were happy to leave things as they are at present. I informed them that may be they should go and visit a motorhome show (like Peterborough) and see the catastrophe waiting to happen when just one motorhome or caravan goes up in flames.

One change that has come about is with the performance criteria that an engineer has to meet during his assessments. for example being able to proove competency at using a Combustion Performance Analyser. So take it from me the price of a fire and boiler service will probably go up as the analysers are very expensive to buy and all gas engineers will need to do an analyser check during the service. Of course the cost of the analyser will be charged back to the customers in order to get his money back.

The ACS Committee meet very shortly to discuss further changes but not heard any whispers as to what they may be.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back