Corelle tableware

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GJH, Aug 17, 2012.

1. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We use pot mugs but our plates and dishes are melamine. Some plates we've had for 6 years are starting to show signs of wear and we saw Corelle advertised.

According to the claims, Corelle is "amazingly thin, lightweight, yet strong, durable and chip & break resistant - but they don't say it is also relatively expensive :Smile:

So. Anyone use it? Is it as good as the adverts claim?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

We used melamine when we had all the kids with us, but we use the Wedgewood now:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Bought melamine set because it doesnt rattle as much - expensive and the mugs are hard to keep free of tea stains. We now drink from the 'Pudsey' mugs I got free 20 years ago from a Shell petrol promotion.:Smile:

4. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

I don't use melamine at home, ergo I don't use melamine in the van:Laughing:

Yes Graham, I am a snob:Rofl1:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Whats wrong with using the Crown Derby life the rest of us travellers.

6. robnchris

robnchris Funster

plastic plates

We just don`t get this plastic plate and glasses thing, we don`t have them on our boat or in the home so why would you use them in the motorhome.

It`s not like we are clumsy and drop them all over the place so Graham get yourself some real plates and live the dream....:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

I agree with Graham on this one. Pot mugs but melamine plates. What I really hate is Sandy's football mug (actually in the shape of a big fat football). It just takes up lots of space and is not user friendly. Even he doesn't use it but he won't let me throw it away. Sadly, it might have to meet with an accident shortly. :Laughing:

Ivy

8. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

If you havent got a lot of payload surely using melamine makes sense, sure if you have plenty of payload, yes but with all the stuff we carry for fulltiming even that bit of saving on payload makes sense?
    A list even longer than Bobs....LOL:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

ps sorry Bob...only joking!!!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  9. san846

san846 Read Only Funster

Sorry to lower the tone but we use paper plates, less washing up and light to carry:Smile:

10. maz

maz Funster

Getting back to the original question :RollEyes: : Corelle is not a form of melamine, it's ovenproof glass. I'd also be interested in knowing if anyone has actual experience of using it. I like the fact that it claims to be ovenproof but according to Wikipedia there are safety issues: Sudden temperature changes and other damages have been shown to cause serious structural harm, raising the risk of shattering at a later time.:Eek!:

• Like Like x 1
  11. tick59

tick59 Funster

:thumb::thumb:
    Bought ousr in America few years back. Use it all the time totaly durable even run over a plate with the wagon and not touched it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Thanks Maz. That's what I was asking :Smile:

We originally bought melamine for lightness, lack of fragility and lack of rattle. We found we didn't like the melamine cups so now use pot ones but have no problems with melamine bowls/plates.

Being so much poorer than residents of North Wales and Cheshire we can't afford finest bone china :Wink::BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  13. scousebird

scousebird Funster

What about when you have gravy? :Rofl1:

14. scousebird

scousebird Funster

We bought Arcopal plates years ago in France, used them in the caravan and now in the MH with not a single breakage. :BigGrin:

15. davanne

davanne Funster

Bought some off amazon earlier this year....nice and light and much nicer than melamine:RollEyes:

16. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

We have gone for china plates/bowls etc from Tesco. They are square and so fit neatly in lockers without waste space. If we break one (haven't yet) they are easy to replace.

Real glasses are much nicer than plastic, and are cheaper as well, so if one is broken its not a bad deal. Glass beer mugs can be put in the fridge when its hot and have you ever seen a plastic brandy or port glass.:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blondi

Blondi Funster

We bought a set of Corelle crockery a few months back, and so far, very pleased with it.

Not yet put it under any stress tests, but all the reviews I've read have been very positive.

Di

18. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

We always used Melamine and being full time we found we had to change it about every 2 years or so as it started to scratch up - bought Correlle earlier in the year and are really chuffed with it looks like melamine - feels like china , weighs just a little more than melamine. Travels very well looks good and well worth the money from our point of view.

19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Thanks for all the replies.

All we need now is to find a shop that sells Corelle (or Luminarc) and we can buy some. Not inclined to buy that sort of stuff on-line as the descriptions aren't always accurate.

20. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

We bought from http://www.worldkitchen.co.uk/ and found the service and description excellent - we originally had a link come via the caravan club and used that to get a 20% discount - we have been really pleased with the product