Copilot (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Been looking at the much recommended copilot recently to replace my ageing TomTom.
Well it's on offer at the moment at £35, usual price £50.
I think it was on offer at £25 in November, so I may wait until January to see if they reduce it further.
Anyone have any experience of copilot offers ?

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Only that I've had CoPilot for more years than I care to remember, I've dabbled with Tom Tom and cheap Chinese things but they didn't work the way I wanted them. I've waited about 2 years for the Maps to come on offer as it's usually just the apps. This time the full European one was reduced from £20 to £15 so I leapt at it ;)

Rapido924f

Free Member
Dec 16, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Have started using Copilot as a replacement for my aging TomTom XL which now requires payment for next year's map updates. After sorting out excessive pois all over screen , I was impressed with it although using dimensions of my MH it was a bit cautious. A route through a village I'd used before was avoided unnecessarily. However, I have a problem using it on my iPad Air2 as it doesn't have gps. So I bought a Garmin Glo and problem solved so I thought . When using it on my last trip and taking the motorway, I realised it had "hung" - we were still 10 k further back. Switched on and off and recovered ok but a while later it did the same. It was losing gps connection between devices which was not a problem on a motorway but negotiating town /village roads isn't. Will be using again on next trip alongside TomTom

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
I've used copilot on my ipad and now on my new ipad mini without any real issues. I do find it chooses some strange routes at times so would always recommend you have a look at the route fully before you use it.

My biggest gripe is the inability to add any POI's to the package which is annoying.

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
My biggest gripe is the inability to add any POI's to the package which is annoying.

For POI support on iOS, have a look at Link Removed

I haven't followed the instructions all the way through on my iPad but I can see the CoPilot app in the File Sharing area, so have no reason to believe it wouldn't work. My iPad is old enough that it won't update to iOS 10 and is on 9.3.5. I think I found the link on here some months ago, so others can probably confirm that it works properly.

The version of CoPilot I have is the standard, rather than the caravan. Having seen a link somewhere on here to poiplaza, which has many free POIs, I was wondering yesterday whether to download the sets which indicate they contain height and width restrictions.

My use of CoPilot has been limited, as I also have a Garmin 660, though I did find (like any app using the GPS on an iPad) that the battery doesn't last long and plugging it into an ordinary 0.5A USB is barely enough to keep up with the drain, so a higher power outlet is advisable. Used by my copilot while travelling recently resulted in the map being rotated in a very confusing manner when a route change was required. We'd set a fuel station as a 'via' and it hadn't registered our visit to it, which led to it trying to take some very odd looking lanes in order to return to the fuel station. The other issue I had was while using it blue toothed to the car (not MH) radio - it refused to stop playing music from the iPad and I couldn't find a setting which allowed full individual control of music and guidance volume levels. It doesn't do that in the MH, as I haven't connected it!

I'll give it another go, though, as the mapping is very clear and the routing for a simple A to B appeared fine.

Tony

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Strange I've been using Copilot for 3 years now and its fantastic never let me down yet and been all over Europe and at least 15 different countries. Did add a gps app but that was more to do with my phone than Copilot.
Don't load poi's find with Acsi and Bordatlas plus whats already loaded on Copilot there's more than enough camping for us certainly runs into thousands of places.:xgrin::xgrin:
Although we have a 5 tonne tag axle van its only 7.5 mts long so just use the standard version of Copilot. Did run it alongside our Garmin for the first year but soon realised Copilot was so much better we soon started ignoring Garmin. Battery does take a beating when its on so we just have the phone plugged permanently into a usb adaptor run from the cig lighter.
So much better than any sat nav for route planning and route diverting, we'll never buy another sat nav.
Use Copilot alongside a good map you can't really go wrong, however it can't think for you you're still in charge of the vehicle and where you go.:xdoh:

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
My iTunes doesn't show co pilot as an app that allows file sharing.Sygic is there but not copilot.Am I missing the obvious here or is it now not possible to install 3rd party apps to copilot for iOS devices?

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Sorry, not sure I should be attempting to answer this, other than I like CoPilot and no-one else seems to have answered yet. I recognise all but one of the words in your question, just not in that particular order lol.

iTunes ... that's a MUSIC program - no? CoPilot ... that's a Route finding software - not sure what they would have in common to share. iThings are far from my area of expertise though :blusher:

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
iTunes ... that's a MUSIC program - no? CoPilot ... that's a Route finding software - not sure what they would have in common to share. iThings are far from my area of expertise though :blusher:
Apple always has to find different way of doing things. They chose to make the link between the iPhone/iPad for file transfers to a Mac or PC using the iTunes program rather than by a new program.

Although this approach has some logic when moving music around, it is slightly counter-intuitive for photos and other file types such as CoPilot POIs. I am not surprised a non-iPerson would find this confusing....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back