CoPilot Caravan (2 Viewers)

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I was thinking of getting a Garmin Glo but the price tag of £90 put me off somewhat.

What's the best price anybody has paid? If it was around the £50 mark I'd be tempted.

GPS signal a bit temperamental at the moment with the tablet mounted in the middle of the dashboard (A Class style cab). I have it mounted there so the navigator can also view it.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
was it the Garmin Camper they had on offer ?
Yes it was the 6" camper version, some stores were selling it at £139.99. Almost tempted but decided I wanted the benefit of a larger screen.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
I was thinking of getting a Garmin Glo but the price tag of £90 put me off somewhat.

What's the best price anybody has paid? If it was around the £50 mark I'd be tempted.

GPS signal a bit temperamental at the moment with the tablet mounted in the middle of the dashboard (A Class style cab). I have it mounted there so the navigator can also view it.
Cheapest I found was on Amazon, link.

Great little unit (glad swissbob got his problem sorted with his unit) and very capable of a constant gps signal due to it also using GLONASS satellites, giving a very quick and precise location, hence used extensively by pilots and sailors.

For me I take my iPad with me anyway therefore, giving me the benefit of a large screen and the option of several navigation apps, both paid & free options.

The only downside so far is not being able to import POI's but this is somewhat elevated by Campercontact linking direct to Navigon app.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Last year I was able to sync the Acsi app with CoPilot on my android tablet.

Since purchasing the 2016 Acsi app I have been unable to sync with CoPilot. It now just takes me to Google maps, requiring an internet connection which I don't have.

Anybody else had this problem with the latest Acsi app?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I am trying out a few of the free and free trial sat nag apps.

I know a lot of people like Sygic but I didn't care for it, not great in this area or the roads round my parent's house as it suggests routes that have barriers across the road, this makes me wary of other routes that I don't know.

At the moment I'm using Navmii and I like that better than Sygic but I'd like better lane guidance and the opportunity to put actual vehicle dimensions in rather than just a truck/rv profile. It does suggest we come off roads and back on when there are bridges across the carriageway.

I like the speedo showing so I can read out actual speed to the driver as required. I really like the POI for post offices - very useful when we are away and I need to post out orders. Navmii did not try to take us down blocked roads.

The next app I will try is iGo on the 7 day trial. :)

Dec 30, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since September 7th 2016
Decided to go with the Caravan app and will keep it permanantly on my ipad. Seem quite straightforward but for some reason doesn't allow you to put in a van width of over 2.59m. Anyway, we will use it for a mini break to North Wales in a couple of weeks so will report back how well it works.

One question for those that have the normal Copilot app; is there a shortcut to quickly turn the voice directions on/off from the map screen or do you have to go through the settings menu every time?
What are the caravan/motorhome specific POI's that they refer to in the promotional blurb I can't seem to find out anywhere Thanks

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I am not sure what Caravan offers by way of additional detail, but remember it's not a Wikipedia it lists all site names within the area you have asked, you sort of have to know what you are looking for, it's job is to direct you there.

Dec 30, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since September 7th 2016
I am not sure what Caravan offers by way of additional detail, but remember it's not a Wikipedia it lists all site names within the area you have asked, you sort of have to know what you are looking for, it's job is to direct you there.
Thanks, it's not details on the sites I am after I am just trying to get a feel for how comprehensive the campsite POI s are

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I don't think that the "Camping" POI are any different on the Caravan APP compared to the standard "car" APP.

It certainly shows private and Caravan club sites as well as C&CC sites.

Martin

OP
OP
AndyJJDavies
Sep 29, 2009
Heybrook Bay, Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
Thanks, it's not details on the sites I am after I am just trying to get a feel for how comprehensive the campsite POI s are

Not very good. I use UKCampsites.com to find the sites and I'd say around 70% of the campsites I then look for on Copilot for directions are not there. I normally just have to use the address method. This is my main disappointment with the app and (on Apple products at least) I don't believe you can import POI's.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Not very good. I use UKCampsites.com to find the sites and I'd say around 70% of the campsites I then look for on Copilot for directions are not there. I normally just have to use the address method. This is my main disappointment with the app and (on Apple products at least) I don't believe you can import POI's.
Of course you can import POI's and it is easy once you get the hang of it, I have for example, Archies with its icon, CamperContact with icon, spanish aires, my own Google map collection, LPG and others, and regularly strip out and import updated lists.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Of course you can import POI's and it is easy once you get the hang of it, I have for example, Archies with its icon, CamperContact with icon, spanish aires, my own Google map collection, LPG and others, and regularly strip out and import updated lists.
I wasn't aware this can be done with iOS version? I know you can create favourites but not place them into files so find that too muddled.

I would very much appreciate if you could please explain how to import POI's?(y)

Dec 30, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since September 7th 2016
I wasn't aware this can be done with iOS version? I know you can create favourites but not place them into files so find that too muddled.

I would very much appreciate if you could please explain how to import POI's?(y)
Try this link for ios Link Removed

OP
OP
AndyJJDavies
Sep 29, 2009
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...

The importing worked geat thanks but I'm not sure how to strip out/remove POI's or import updated lists. Would you mind clarifying this process
Thanks

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Hi Andy,
Stop CoPilot, go into the save folder, inside there is a folder "user places" in there you will find folders for each of your imported categories. Delete the folder named the catorgorie you want to update, maybe copy it to another place for safe keeping if you like but away from the main copilot folders, you will not need it again providing you mange the following correctly. Now place your new .csv or .ov2 file in the save folder and start CoPilot, the usual integration process follows. The original icon will have remained in the save folder so you can select the same category and icon during the process. Hopefully thats it??
Michael

OP
OP
AndyJJDavies
Sep 29, 2009
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
Hi Andy,
Stop CoPilot, go into the save folder, inside there is a folder "user places" in there you will find folders for each of your imported categories. Delete the folder named the catorgorie you want to update, maybe copy it to another place for safe keeping if you like but away from the main copilot folders, you will not need it again providing you mange the following correctly. Now place your new .csv or .ov2 file in the save folder and start CoPilot, the usual integration process follows. The original icon will have remained in the save folder so you can select the same category and icon during the process. Hopefully thats it??
Michael

MIchael, sorry, being a bit dull here but I'm unclear where the save folder is, I'm using the iPad on a Mac if that makes the difference?

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
MIchael, sorry, being a bit dull here but I'm unclear where the save folder is, I'm using the iPad on a Mac if that makes the difference?
Are, I am unsure of the Mac file hierarchy as I use Android and the instructions I defined are for that. So where do you put your poi file the user file must be within there somewhere. Can you search your file structure for a key word of one of your user poi Categories? That might give you a clue or hopefully an iPad user might be along?
M

OP
OP
AndyJJDavies
Sep 29, 2009
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
Are, I am unsure of the Mac file hierarchy as I use Android and the instructions I defined are for that. So where do you put your poi file the user file must be within there somewhere. Can you search your file structure for a key word of one of your user poi Categories? That might give you a clue or hopefully an iPad user might be along?
M
Thanks Michael
That makes sense now. I'll check out the Mac file structure or it may be possible directly through iTunes.
Andy

OP
OP
AndyJJDavies
Sep 29, 2009
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
Where do you put your poi's, or is importing a function of iTunes?

they are added directly through iTunes

Andy is there a folder called POI in your documents folder?

I'll check it out tonight. My gut feel is that the changes are done through the same place where you add the POI's.

OP
OP
AndyJJDavies
Sep 29, 2009
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
Well, i can't Find the POI files anwhere and off in the van for a 10 day trip tomorrow so will have to try and work this out when i get back.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back