Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
personally I currently use Tom Tom app on my phone which is excellent in the car but is too far away to see properly in the MH and doesn't allow change of vehicle type so now looking for something more suited to a MH and which can have on my Ipad. I would always however go down the App route as I don't see the benefits of a stand alone GPS at x5-10 the price of the app.
We have sat nav on tablets and our dedicated TomTom unit too and have found on our recent holiday (6 weeks in Europe) that in some circumstances the tablets couldn't get a good gps signal to be able to say where we were, but the Tom Tom could - this is probably down to the TomTom having a dedicated GPS 'chip' in it, whereas tablets don't ... but we do go to some VERY remote places!

We also like Sygic too as it is very clear BUT putting the POIs on isn't as easy as TomTom.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
No problem
We have sat nav on tablets and our dedicated TomTom unit too and have found on our recent holiday (6 weeks in Europe) that in some circumstances the tablets couldn't get a good gps signal to be able to say where we were, but the Tom Tom could - this is probably down to the TomTom having a dedicated GPS 'chip' in it, whereas tablets don't ... but we do go to some VERY remote places!

We also like Sygic too as it is very clear BUT putting the POIs on isn't as easy as TomTom.
Sygic only allows you do download poi in country specific lumps which for some groups of poi can be an issue if it's Europe wide for example and not splittable.

Jun 9, 2016
L'Isle Jourdain, 86150 France
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Just bought an Eriba FT 580
Well this just gets better. No gps chip in a wifi iPad. I'll have switch to the phone. Back to question 1. Recommended iPhone 6 holders? Best to go windscreen or dashboard? The van we're testing is a globebus so I guess Fiat Ducato cab.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Well this just gets better. No gps chip in a wifi iPad. I'll have switch to the phone. Back to question 1. Recommended iPhone 6 holders? Best to go windscreen or dashboard? The van we're testing is a globebus so I guess Fiat Ducato cab.
Brodit!!!

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
My solution, held by the empty box in the dash
Sat Nav Holder.jpg
Sat Nav Holder -.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I didn't say that the tablets wouldn't work just that in some locations they might 'struggle' but if you don't go to REALLY out of the way places then you shouldn't have a problem.

Jun 9, 2016
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
I didn't say that the tablets wouldn't work just that in some locations they might 'struggle' but if you don't go to REALLY out of the way places then you shouldn't have a problem.

Unfortunately not - being a cheapskate I only have a wifi iPad - it doesn't have a GPS chip. I could add an adapter or get a bluetooth GPS but I think the longer term solution for our own MH will be a Garmin or one of those fabcy all-in entertainment / nav systems so not really worth it. For this trip I'll just use the phone.

OP
OP
AndyJJDavies
Sep 29, 2009
Heybrook Bay, Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur 950 LVX
Exp
Always learning...
Unfortunately not - being a cheapskate I only have a wifi iPad - it doesn't have a GPS chip. I could add an adapter or get a bluetooth GPS but I think the longer term solution for our own MH will be a Garmin or one of those fabcy all-in entertainment / nav systems so not really worth it. For this trip I'll just use the phone.

I used my phone for ages, if found if you mount it to the windown next to you it's absolutely fine, I only moved to using the iPad because my eyes aren't what they used to be and the bigger screen helps

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Had a mad moment today and Mme bought Co-pilot Caravan for her Jobs-phone. 10% off the GBP price so very pleased.

But those of you who live in France and want to pay in EUR take care - it might appear that it's costing you EUR45 but this is an annual cost.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
@SwissBob, I too wanted to use my iPad but likewise mine is only wifi so no gps chip present. After some research, I've just purchased the Garmin GLO, connects to the iPad via Bluetooth and according to reviews gives a very strong gps signal.
Now looking forward to large screen navigation(y)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
@SwissBob, I too wanted to use my iPad but likewise mine is only wifi so no gps chip present. After some research, I've just purchased the Garmin GLO, connects to the iPad via Bluetooth and according to reviews gives a very strong gps signal.
Now looking forward to large screen navigation(y)
I have a Garmin Glo and it works great, and we find that it provides a very accurate position so no more being told to take first exit on the roundabout that is next the motorway you are on. It ensures that all tablets have the same position too. AND all my tablets are Android with their own chips but I choose the Glo over them.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Good luck I see that using it with an iPad is easy compared to Android which requires an additional third party app. I have mine in a top dash locker (plastic cover) and it is out of the way and works fine.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Good luck I see that using it with an iPad is easy compared to Android which requires an additional third party app. I have mine in a top dash locker (plastic cover) and it is out of the way and works fine.

Just received my GLO and linked it to my iPad via Bluetooth straight out of the box. On connection it did state that no supporting app was present and would I like to download one. However, the apps presented were related to aviation so I didn't proceed with downloading one.

I then fired up copilot and went to settings to check gps status and sure enough, 3D lock had been achieved, all in the space of a few minutes, which is very impressive.

@SwissBob you won't regret you decision and for anybody else that would like to use their iPad as a navigation device, like @sallylillian, I can highly recommend this set-up(y)

Jun 9, 2016
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
So, big problems with the garmin glo. It cuts out randomly, typically during a complex route through a town or city. Garmin support said it only charges when turned on so it could be low battery - if it has very low battery it can't start but it needs to start to charge. What? They also suggest a bad battery but wouldn't exchange it. Not impressed and fell back on my tomtom which, tbh, has been ok as long as I ignore it when it tries to go down a 20km single track road - usually this just links back to the main road anyway. What with the ability to load all the aires as poi and the preplanning option in the iPhone app I'm leaning towards tomtom - esp as we will be definitely going for a van which can pretty much go anywhere anyway.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
So, big problems with the garmin glo. It cuts out randomly, typically during a complex route through a town or city. Garmin support said it only charges when turned on so it could be low battery - if it has very low battery it can't start but it needs to start to charge. What? They also suggest a bad battery but wouldn't exchange it. Not impressed and fell back on my tomtom which, tbh, has been ok as long as I ignore it when it tries to go down a 20km single track road - usually this just links back to the main road anyway. What with the ability to load all the aires as poi and the preplanning option in the iPhone app I'm leaning towards tomtom - esp as we will be definitely going for a van which can pretty much go anywhere anyway.
The Glo has a small battery I would not use it on battery alone, it can be charged from a USB so I have mine permantly plugged in, it cannot be over charged, also remember to switch off after use if your power shuts down with the ignistion off, hold button down until orange light flashes off. For some comfort I have been using mine for 3 years now without a problem save in the early days before I added permanet power to it, it is a common accessory to pilots so its not a flunky piece of kit. Remember it has 2 GPS chips for US and Ruski sats, so is power hungry.

Jun 9, 2016
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
It's been on power via the 12v supply since day 1 - hence support's suggestion that the battery is duff.

When I get back on grid I'll fully charge it then try again but tbh the tomtom is behaving pretty well.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Oh dear that's not good news:( I'm yet to use mine in anger but not experienced the issues you mention on the short journeys done so far.

Your glo issue is surely covered by the manufactures warranty(n) What about the supplier who you purchased it from?

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I'm looking for some form of Sat Nav for our MH , I was interested to read about some people using Sygic and their iPad , i have an Ipad mini that lies about the house not being used much , how can i tell if i'm able to use it with Sygic on my iPad ( as in does my iPad Mini need GPS and how do i check if it has it )

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I'm looking for some form of Sat Nav for our MH , I was interested to read about some people using Sygic and their iPad , i have an Ipad mini that lies about the house not being used much , how can i tell if i'm able to use it with Sygic on my iPad ( as in does my iPad Mini need GPS and how do i check if it has it )
Does your iPad mini have mobile data or is it the wi-fi only version?
If it has the ability to receive mobile and takes a sim card it will have GPS built in. The wi-fi only version will need some sort of external GPS receiver.

Richard.

Jun 9, 2016
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
It's been on power via the 12v supply since day 1 - hence support's suggestion that the battery is duff.

When I get back on grid I'll fully charge it then try again but tbh the tomtom is behaving pretty well.

So, it was indeed a dodgy battery. We found out that it runs fine on power with no battery inserted. New battery now in and working normally .

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Does your iPad mini have mobile data or is it the wi-fi only version?
If it has the ability to receive mobile and takes a sim card it will have GPS built in. The wi-fi only version will need some sort of external GPS receiver.

Richard.
Thanks Richard , yip its an iPad mini wi-fi edition , it shows my location when im on the home wi-fi , but no GPS

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Thanks Richard , yip its an iPad mini wi-fi edition , it shows my location when im on the home wi-fi , but no GPS
Therefore, as per Clarky's post you'll need an external gps unit similar to Garmin's Glo to be able to use your iPad mini. This option can still work out very cost effective against the purchase of a dedicated MH satnav unit; unless of course Aldi have the garmin unit on offer again.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
was it the Garmin Camper they had on offer ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back