CoPilot Caravan

Discussion in 'GPS Navigation' started by AndyJJDavies, Jun 9, 2016.

1. AndyJJDavies

AndyJJDavies Funster

Hi

Does anyone know the difference between the new Copilot Caravan app (£49.99) and the existing Copilot Car version (premium Europe ipad HD version £25.49). I've just downloaded the demo of the standard version and you can set up 'Caravan' as a vehicle type anyway so not sure what's the benefit of the extra £25? In the new Caravan version you can add in specific vehicle dimensions so does that mean in the standard version the 'Caravan' setting only adjusts speeds and still doesn't take into consideration things like low bridges?

2. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

I bought the app before the caravan one came in and you can set it to motorhome which we did for our motorhome.Not sure about the bridges though but we didn't hit any!
    Just checked,you can't put dimensions in, only road preferences.

3. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

I am thinking of buying the Copilot app and AFAIK the more expensive version allows the entry of dimensions and the cheaper one doesn't - it just allows you to call yourself a caravan and MAY use that to calculate journey times.

Either way it is many bottles of wine cheaper than buying the Garmin with dimension capability.

4. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

I have had problems with the standard CoPilot app purchased a year ago, it seems to take an irrational dislike to some roads and then do its best to find a route avoiding them which is not always the best route:mad:

I have been in touch with CoPilot about this and they recommended that I purchase the new Caravan app as you can input weight and size not just click RV as you do on the older version.

I also have an idea that they might be using different maps now as I asked them to plan a route on the new app which included a road that my older version would not use no matter what I did to persuade it, when the route came back from them the route included names of roads that were not on my older version (the roads were there just not with that name) and some of the roads which have two number (it was in Spain) were described by the number that did not show on my old version.

Be warned though even with size and weight data input the route is only as accurate as the road data on the mapping used.

Martin

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Used to use Co pilot on a note. No probs with it and we liked it a lot.
    Much prefer our Garmin Camper now. Bigger clearer and leaves the phone free.

6. Clarky

Clarky Funster

I use the standard paid for Co-Pilot app on the RV setting.
    A few days ago, in France, it tried to take me down a shortcut which had a very low bridge. The Garmin Camper, which I also use, took a slightly longer route and avoided the low bridge.

If Co-Pilot did a reasonably priced upgrade I would move to the caravan version but don't want to pay the full price again for what is just an extra backup.

Richard.

7. funflair

I asked them to discount the new one as my version had too many glitches, they said NO.

Martin

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

I went down the Sygic route

• Like Like x 1
  9. funflair

if that the one just outside Granada, "down a one way street and through the allotments" we have been as well following CoPilot:LOL:

Martin

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

Haha! Garmin did that to us in Italy!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

I fear that I am not suited to modern life.

Our Garmin Nuvi is 2 years old and was bought for use in a car. Now we own an MH I want to move up to a something that permits input of size and weight. My initial thoughts of Snooper, Garmin Camper etc have been overtaken by comments on this forum about Copilot Caravan which is miles cheaper than a dedicated sat nav.

But I cannot see the need to have both CoPilot and a sat nav - surely this implies that you have insufficient faith in one or both to do the job?

And as for having a sat nav to leave the phone free, why? I don't need a phone most of the time and if I do I would switch off Copilot for a short time to allow SWMBO to make the call. Or am I missing the point as usual?

Hence my comment in line 1 above.

12. ****

**** Read Only Funster

13. AndyJJDavies

AndyJJDavies Funster

personally I currently use Tom Tom app on my phone which is excellent in the car but is too far away to see properly in the MH and doesn't allow change of vehicle type so now looking for something more suited to a MH and which can have on my Ipad. I would always however go down the App route as I don't see the benefits of a stand alone GPS at x5-10 the price of the app.

14. laser101uk

laser101uk Funster

All our sat navs are on tablets and phones. We have two as a minimum in case one fails for any reason. I never used Co Pilot but use Sygic on an Ipad as the main sat nav. Works fine for me. I usually plan on google maps and sometimes modify the route sygic suggests which is easy to do. The large screen on the Ipad makes it very easy to us., I also use it as my speedo and to warn me when I creep over the speed limits.

15. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

I have been using CoPilot Truck for 3 years and have 2 licences as my wife has a copy running on her tablet too whilst in the second chair. I have found it uniquely invaluable because of the ability to profile road attributes from strongly avoid to strongly favour. In my Flair I also have a factory fitted Zenec sat nav which although configurable for truck dimensions has no road profiling. It is interesting to watch it come up with a regular 5-10 mile shorter route over a 200 mile trip because I have strongly avoid local roads and strongly favour motorways and dial carriageways in CoPilot. We are in Remagen at the moment and CoPilot used the A61 or was it 62 for as long as possible and saved diving off into the hinterland which the Zenec was squawking about. I cannot comment on the new caravan version but my truck version is a good buy at twice the money.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

Sa
    Same here with Sygic and iPad, great together, great overview mapping & it uses tomtom maps

17. jumar

jumar Funster

I have a Co-Pilot............its called Judith....she sits next to me with a map on her knees.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. AndyJJDavies

AndyJJDavies Funster

Decided to go with the Caravan app and will keep it permanantly on my ipad. Seem quite straightforward but for some reason doesn't allow you to put in a van width of over 2.59m. Anyway, we will use it for a mini break to North Wales in a couple of weeks so will report back how well it works.

One question for those that have the normal Copilot app; is there a shortcut to quickly turn the voice directions on/off from the map screen or do you have to go through the settings menu every time?

• Like Like x 1
  19. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

Mute the volume?

20. Borderland

Borderland Funster

Do you get free lifetime map and traffic upgrades on these apps and do they give speed camera warnings.