Cooling Ideas

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Jun 30, 2015.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

With the heatwave upon us and getting ready for France, I bought three fans..

The first one is mounted in our transverse 'bedspace' ..
    a 6" 12v all metal two speed fan from Road Pro.

20150630_104341.jpg

The second is a 9" 230v desk fan that can also be run off our small inverter..

20150630_104355.jpg

The third is a clip on battery powered, takes 4 x AA or can plug into a USB port on a puter .. it comes with a 230v adapter. both of these from B & Q...
    20150630_104404.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

Has anybody any experience of the Transcool air con unit?
    We've been thinking of buying one but would like to know from those who have bought and used one whether they are any good or worth the money.
    image.jpg

3. Cobweb

Cobweb

We will just make do with finding shady places . When we left home husband totally vetoed bringing a fan ...takes up too much space he said . We are sitting under a lovely shade tree at the moment and I dread thinking of leaving here tomorrow . My tip for keeping cool is taking a cold pack out of the freezer and holding it on pulse points on your wrists thus cooling the blood . I think it works
    and it also helps on insect bites .

• Like Like x 2
  4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

@Scattycat
    No experience, but I guess it depends on your expectations how effective it is..
    It won't cool down a large van.. but maybe help if blowing directly onto you..

Some years ago we were travelling to Spain in a car with no a/c .. and it was baking hot.. with windows open it felt like a blast furnace blowing in...
    We found a good way to keep cool was to put a wet bandanna on your head.. and spray with water to keep it wet.. works well..

Also wet towels on the back of the seats .. (y)

Spraying water over your face and neck keeps you cool ..

• Like Like x 3
  5. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

Make sure that the big windows are shaded. The cab windows are best covered with a proper external windscreen cover, either a full winter or a summer mesh one. The side windows can be left open if you cover the outside with something to shade them. I made side window covers from silvered car windscreen covers from the Poundshop. You can either sew on tapes or use clothes pegs to keep them in place.

Don' t forget the rooflight too: again, better done from outside as you can then leave them open. We put an umbrella up through the big central one and open it so it shades the open hatch and directs any breeze into the open hatch. You might need to tie the handle of the umbrella to the hatch handle though !

All this makes a lot of difference to the internal temperature so making it easier to sleep.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

parking in the shade generally means no sat TV so we tend to park by water, that always creates a draught

• Like Like x 1
  7. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

I use a bucket of cold water and a flannel!
    A douse down now n then evaporates the heat away!

• Like Like x 3
  8. Cobweb

Cobweb

We have a mobile satdish so we can be in the shade when the dish is in the sun . Husband has got very good at finding the signal over the years .

9. CJB

CJB Funster

Drink copious amounts of booze so you are unconscious for at least 8 hours, or install air-conditioning if on EHU. I have a dometic unit which works well on EHU.

I also have a rule on the MH that no one is allowed to complain of being to hot.

• Like Like x 2
  10. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

put external silver screens on the cab and open the driver and passenger window. the reflection of the sun causes convection and draws some heat from the van plus you benefit from the breeze

hang your wet towel from morning shower below an open sunroof. the evaporation cools the van. same as putting a wet towel on top of a dog crate(cage) keeps the inside cooler. arabs have been using this method for thousands of years

• Like Like x 1
  11. daveinspain

daveinspain Funster

As someone who only uses campsites as a last resort if no Areas, parkings or safe, quiet wild camping spots are available, I've often wondered why no-one has come up with a gas-powered A/C system. The fridge/freezer works best on gas, and obviously without EHU, so why can't an A/C unit do the same, with the cooling fan running on 12V? Just a thought!
    I'm in the process of installing Brunner fridge cooling fans (thanks for the pics Andy) to cope with this heatwave, currently 35C in the shade and rising.

12. Simon

Simon Read Only Funster

Can't beat that simplicity :)

13. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

It would be nice wouldn't it. I'd buy one!

I don't know the answer as to why not for sure but as a guess I would say that the issue would be getting a big enough 12v fan that's efficient enough to not draw very much power.

The fan in a blown air heating system is an example. That's 12v but wipes out batteries pretty quickly.

14. Brian_K

Brian_K Read Only Funster

These are very good and don't take take up much space: http://www.o2-cool.com/FD05004?page_id=841

Not easy to get over here, but very quite and the 2 D cell batteries are reputed to last for 40hrs continuous use.

Blowing on me now.

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  15. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

16. Eeyore

Eeyore Read Only Funster

I'm surprised no- one has mentioned the 12v Endless Breeze fans: expensive but excellent. From our experience in Morocco and in Spain in August, they are very effective and can be left on day and night without flattening the leisure battery.

• Like Like x 5
  17. jezport

jezport Funster

They are an evaporative air cooler, they are better in low humidity. You can buy relatively cheap 240v evaporative air coolers and run them on a small inverter, they dont use much power as they dont have a compressor

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ron & Gerri

Ron & Gerri Funster

Someone on the 'net suggested a good way to cool down was to put your sheets in the freezer. Really? Obviously not written by someone who EVER changed sheets on a bed. By the time I'd got the sheets back on they'd be hot again!

• Like Like x 5
  19. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

You could try a 'Chillo' - like a flat pillow recommended for those suffering from hot flushes but can be used equally well by others to keep cool at night ... also ideal for the dog's bed to keep them cool too.

20. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I've got one (y)

• Like Like x 3