Cool solar panel thingy at Lidl for £10 (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
Just wanted to let you good people know that I picked up a nice solar-rechargable battery from Lidl last weekend.

It is ideal for the MH as it comes with a couple of small brackets and suction pads that let you stick it to a window, so we'll have it permanently stuck on the window next to the table so that we can charge our phones whenever we like.

I've seen these kind of things before, but for a tenner it seemed too good to miss, particularly as it had the suckers :)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I still have one from about ten+ years ago. It lives in my garage now having offered it to any takers (none so far). I used it to charge a battery in a van, leaving it connected for long periods. It could be coincidence but subsequently the two batteries I used it on, died.
There was no control unit and the batteries could have been suspect but I have never used it since.

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I still have one from about ten+ years ago. It lives in my garage now having offered it to any takers (none so far). I used it to charge a battery in a van, leaving it connected for long periods. It could be coincidence but subsequently the two batteries I used it on, died.
There was no control unit and the batteries could have been suspect but I have never used it since.

That might be slightly different. I don't think this one is quite as sophisticated.

This is just a 5000 ma battery that gets charged by the sun and then you can plug in your phones or tablets and charge them from it. It is about the size of two packs of cards.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just wanted to let you good people know that I picked up a nice solar-rechargable battery from Lidl last weekend.

It is ideal for the MH as it comes with a couple of small brackets and suction pads that let you stick it to a window, so we'll have it permanently stuck on the window next to the table so that we can charge our phones whenever we like.

I've seen these kind of things before, but for a tenner it seemed too good to miss, particularly as it had the suckers :)

It's got another one now:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Don't blame me your writing the script :doh:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have one of these on my rucksack and they do work, though takes quite a few hours to charge up. Its effectiveness will be reduced if its having to work through glass though and they are ok in an emergency but not good to rely on as a routine way of charging.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Aldi have some Small capacity Solar Panels, coming on "special" Thursday. I have 2 similar which keep Classic car, batteries in the garage "topped" through the winter. They will sit all winter at about 12.8 to 13.0 Volts

Rusty Pumper

Free Member
Mar 10, 2017
Funster No
If it's the Lidl Silvercrest Powerbank With Solar Charger SPBS 5000 A1, bear in mind (according to the instructions) that it can take 22-30 hours to fully charge on solar alone, depending upon sunlight intensity, or 3-4 hours via USB. Horses for courses.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If it's the Lidl Silvercrest Powerbank With Solar Charger SPBS 5000 A1, bear in mind (according to the instructions) that it can take 22-30 hours to fully charge on solar alone, depending upon sunlight intensity, or 3-4 hours via USB. Horses for courses.

I reckon those timings are about right.

I've been putting it to the test this week and, as @Reallyretired rightly pointed out, it doesn't work too well through glass. It was pretty sunny all day today and I had it on the windscreen, but barely budged. However, it did charge from the mains easily the other day, so for a tenner it has been handy to have around just in case.

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have one of these on my rucksack and they do work, though takes quite a few hours to charge up. Its effectiveness will be reduced if its having to work through glass though and they are ok in an emergency but not good to rely on as a routine way of charging.

You're definitely right about the glass. I'll have to stick it out of sunroof or something :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back