Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
OK if on EHU but how much power will it use if off grid?

We tried one but found it used a lot of 12V power so sold it.

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I have a slightly bigger one and it draws about 4.5 amps so no problem for my solar in Summer and often ran it through the night too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have a Waeco tropicool thermoelectric. Great for chilling beers and as an emergency fridge. Built like a tank as well.

Bit pricier than yours but I have been using fulltime as a fridge since the beginning of April Last year. (I am a fulltimer)

Broken Link Removed

And yes, they can run easily on 12V but only during the summer when good solar input. But it only cools to I think 30C below ambient.

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
Why not go for a camping fridge that runs on gas as well? I've had an Electrolux one for 20 years and it's still going strong. It did 14 days camping as main fridge and we still had gas left in large camping gaz bottle.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My experience of these sort of cool boxes is they more or less run continually, so drawing power all the time.

We now have a Waeco CDF 26 compressor cool box which draws about 5 amps but only for about five minutes then having brought the temperature down it rests for about twenty. So it is using much less power but we found a 100W panel insufficient although we turned it off at night but we were running the diesel heater at the same time for hot water during the day and heating at night and this takes a lot of power.

I suspect a 100W panel might be enough outside the depths of winter, up to about September, for this model of cool box alone but not when you add in other loads which is why we have added a second panel and may add a third if experience suggests we need one after we have given it some Mediterranean thrashing this summer!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RS SPIKE

RS SPIKE

Free Member
Oct 8, 2014
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
ELDDIS SUNSTYLE 140
Exp
Why not go for a camping fridge that runs on gas as well? I've had an Electrolux one for 20 years and it's still going strong. It did 14 days camping as main fridge and we still had gas left in large camping gaz bottle.
Have you a link please ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RS SPIKE

RS SPIKE

Free Member
Oct 8, 2014
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
ELDDIS SUNSTYLE 140
Exp
My experience of these sort of cool boxes is they more or less run continually, so drawing power all the time.

We now have a Waeco CDF 26 compressor cool box which draws about 5 amps but only for about five minutes then having brought the temperature down it rests for about twenty. So it is using much less power but we found a 100W panel insufficient although we turned it off at night but we were running the diesel heater at the same time for hot water during the day and heating at night and this takes a lot of power.

I suspect a 100W panel might be enough outside the depths of winter, up to about September, for this model of cool box alone but not when you add in other loads which is why we have added a second panel and may add a third if experience suggests we need one after we have given it some Mediterranean thrashing this summer!
Broken Link Removed

is this the one you have ?

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Broken Link Removed

is this the one you have ?
Yes, that's the one. I got it for £305 off someone on Amazon last year but mostly it seems to be offered at around £400. It needed much tooth sucking before spending that much but it is a superb little cool box.

It fits between the front seats when we park up. I have a picture of it in use somewhere.

Edit:

Post #19 on this thread. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/12v-cool-bags-any-good.122726/#post-1704617

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Broken Link Removed. Might find a better price if you shop around
I guess that can't be used on gas indoors? Unless there is some sort of venting kit you can get for it.

Otherwise, good if you put it outside the MH under an awning. And no one nicks it. :)

Upvote 0
Mar 18, 2015
Burrough on the Hill, Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 886f
Exp
Since 2014
On gas It's outdoor or very well ventilated only. Must admit I haven't used it with the MH, but used it a lot with the caravan in the awning.

We tried a 12v coolbox in France last summer, wiped the battery overnight!

Upvote 0

Deleted User
I guess that can't be used on gas indoors? Unless there is some sort of venting kit you can get for it.

Otherwise, good if you put it outside the MH under an awning. And no one nicks it. :)

Very good point, we have had one of those, possibly different make, since we first ventured abroad with a tent in 1991 and still use it in the shed at our static van... mainly for wine and beer. It is somewhat bulky and heavy as well and does not like being shaken about, as we found out.....warm beer!!!!

We have also a Mobicool dual powered coolbox, not sure of size but I think 35l, bought in LeClerc in France for around 35euros last year, though it is not the model shown above. We have had others in the past and they work well but with limitations, they will only reduce the ambient temperature by a certain amount so struggle in very hot conditions.

Very good for taking on the ferry but remember an an adaptor.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back