Nov 11, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie November 2014
Hi Funsters

Right spent a couple of nights now in our MH, which we have really enjoyed.

What does everyone take and cook and do you use the cooker, do you eat out or got something else you cook with?

I have seen and was told by the previous owners that they never used the oven.
We have so far just done the basics, beans on toast, poached eggs and what is a no no to cook in our MH.

As long as the fridge has got wine and beer in I'm not normally worried but then you do get the munchies!!!!

Attachments

• IMAG1022.jpg
    IMAG1022.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 35
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Hi Funsters

Right spent a couple of nights now in our MH, which we have really enjoyed.

What does everyone take and cook and do you use the cooker, do you eat out or got something else you cook with?

I have seen and was told by the previous owners that they never used the oven.
We have so far just done the basics, beans on toast, poached eggs and what is a no no to cook in our MH.

As long as the fridge has got wine and beer in I'm not normally worried but then you do get the munchies!!!!
Just ask DuxDeluxe

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Always take a whole load of stuff that we never use, offer dinner for a nice couple of people and then have to ask them to bring most of the ingredients as the stuff that we have is not useable.

......and then burn it!

Usually get portions that we have previously frozen and cook those, which works if you have a decent size freezing compartment

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Its a matter of chioce
We used to love cooking in our van. Made easier with a full size oven in the last 2 vans
Cook the same as you would at home if you have a grill, rings or an oven.

Perhaps get a "double skillet" which can be used to cook lots of different things but basically no real change from home.
You will find it a good idea to keep emergency supplies of certain foods to rustle something up at short notice so thinks like soup, chick peas, long life milk, cook in the bag stuff etc are a necessity

Phill

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It's a home. So same as in bricks and mortar home.
.......and in our van, just as badly cooked ;)

You are right, though, Brian - we simply plan ahead and take what we need or might need (and still get it wrong)

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We spend months at a time in our van so use the oven exactly as we do at home the only other thing we use is a Remoska we would never buy a van with no oven. Use it and enjoy it.(y)

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Depends on how long we're going away for. If it's just a weekend we'll generally take stuff from the freezer which just needs reheating and then cooking rice, pasta or potatoes with it.

If it's a longer holiday we'll take some meals from the freezer but also buy stuff in the area we're staying.

There isn't anything I won't cook in the van that I cook at home, including smelly things like curry & fish! The only thing I don't cook in the van is chips but that's only because I haven't got a decent oven only one of the warming ovens.

Denise

Upvote 0

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
We try and cook the same sort of things we would cook at home, although we do compromise by using sachets of rice rather than lose rice because it's easier in the van.
We take a lot of frozen meat with us just in case we find ourselves in an overnight stop where there's no local shop, and we also take a couple of days supply of fresh veg for the same reason.
A proper oven was a must when we were looking for a van but in 4 years and probably 40 weeks in the van we've only used the oven 3 or 4 times. We either use a double skillet, remoska, thermal oven or a bbq depending on what sort of place we're stopping at

Upvote 0

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
We like to eat well when we're at home and we see no reason to do things differently when we're in the motorhome. I do all the cooking in our home and as Spring approaches I go into batch cooking mode. I make huge quantities of Lasagne, Chilli, Bolognaise and various Curries. Everything is portioned and frozen so that when we go away for a short trip we just grab a few tubs and dash off.
As well as reducing the number of trips to the shops while we're away, it also means that we know exactly what went into our meal.

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
We eat 98% of the time in the MH without the need for a oven. We have a slow cooker and a Remoska which works great. We used to have a microwave oven, but found we hardly used it, so removed it saving some weight. Cooking in advance and freezing it is the way ahead saving loads of money for the much needed wine, which again we don't buy bottles, but the box kind.......... DONE.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We don't have an oven in our van. I can't say I have missed it.

I like to cook and as we both need special diets it is often easier to cook than to go out. The slow cooker gets a lot of use as I find it is so versatile - it runs from an invertor when we are travelling and off the EHU on site.

We also have a small microwave so if worst comes to worst there is always the option of a ding dinner.

Whatever you cook at home you should be able to cook when you are away although I like to shop local and use fresh ingredients. We do always take a few basics so can cobble together an emergency stew from tins just in case.

If we are away for just a couple of nights I do tend to plan the menu and make sure I have everything after once forgetting a vital ingredient ;)

The last day we are away we will sometimes have a cooked breakfast which we don't do at home. Grill rather than fry though.

Upvote 0

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
[QUOTE="
I like to cook and as we both need special diets it is often easier to cook than to go out. The slow cooker gets a lot of use as I find it is so versatile - it runs from an invertor when we are travelling and off the EHU on site.
[/QUOTE]
Is it safe having the slow cooker on whilst driving? Where do you put it and how do you stop it slpiing over and splashing?
I'm not saying it isn't safe, just never thought about cooking on the move.

Upvote 0
T

Tackle man

Deleted User
[QUOTE="
Is it safe having the slow cooker on whilst driving? Where do you put it and how do you stop it slpiing over and splashing?
I'm not saying it isn't safe, just never thought about cooking on the move.

Irene makes double quantities of Chilli, Spag Bol etc .. and freezes them ready for trips away. We also have a Mr D's pot, it is very useful. Food cooks in its own heat without any further power after the initial preparation. This means you can travel with food cooking with no power, and its ready when you get the other end. Also your food never burns. Simples! We have been using this method for several years and find it very good. (y)

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We like to eat well when we're at home and we see no reason to do things differently when we're in the motorhome. I do all the cooking in our home and as Spring approaches I go into batch cooking mode. I make huge quantities of Lasagne, Chilli, Bolognaise and various Curries. Everything is portioned and frozen so that when we go away for a short trip we just grab a few tubs and dash off.
As well as reducing the number of trips to the shops while we're away, it also means that we know exactly what went into our meal.

That's what my wife does(y)

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I do double quantities and freeze them too. I freeze them in an oblong ice cream container, lined with cling film and as soon as the food's solidified, tip it out of the box and close the cling, then overwrap it. Stick it back in the freezer. Then when you pack the van, it takes up far less room in the freezer.

Upvote 0

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We live full time in our van, we have a full oven but rarely use it, I use a halogen oven on ehu and a double skillet when not.
We have a small freezer that I put meat in when I get it on offer but I always cook in the van, rarely eating out, we have the ingredients and the facilities so why not utilise them?
We mostly use part baked rolls to have fresh hot bread whenever we want, I also bake cakes and bread in my skillet.

Upvote 0

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
[QUOTE="
I'm not saying it isn't safe, just never thought about cooking on the move.[/QUOTE]

When we used to use a slow cooker it went in the sink stood on some non slip matting when on the move with the lid secured with small bunggie straps and the cooker plugged into an inverter.
It worked well for us and a ready meal at the end of a days driving was often more than welcome

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
[QUOTE="
I'm not saying it isn't safe, just never thought about cooking on the move.[/QUOTE]

It plugs in at the far end of the motorhome, on the floor, just in front of the bed, into a socket we had fitted there. The invertor is on a shelf built for the job and the slow cooker itself is in a washing up bowl (on the floor on a bit of non-slip stuff but it's a nice fit - space around but not big enough to allow it to tip over) and the washing-up bowl is also on non-slip mat has a strap around it and is also wedged into place with cushions so it can't come forward if we have to do an emergency stop. The lid is a very tight fit and we don't get splashes. :) In the sink would work as well but we have a sink cover and nowhere to put the invertor safely.

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We cook a joint or chicken in the Remoska going along run it off the inverter. It fits in the sink with a piece of wood I cut to wedge it in securely, works perfect and safe. The only problem is I get distracted by the smell of a nice bit of lamb or beef cooking as I'm driving, nice to pull up and haver a roast dinner almost ready and cost zero in gas or electric to cook.(y)

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Just a piece of wood...that not what you usually call it!!

What happened to expertly crafted or marvel of engineering prowess:p

I just knew you'd have to make a comment on my beautifully crafted wooden support device.:whistle:
You're quick enough to tuck into a nice roast though;) always the first bugger to sit at the table.

Upvote 0
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
I just knew you'd have to make a comment on my beautifully crafted wooden support device.:whistle:
You're quick enough to tuck into a nice roast though;) always the first bugger to sit at the table.
no im not!! you are...I cant sit down till you have:p

and I dont count the roasties......

Upvote 0

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
We cook a joint or chicken in the Remoska going along run it off the inverter. It fits in the sink with a piece of wood I cut to wedge it in securely, works perfect and safe. The only problem is I get distracted by the smell of a nice bit of lamb or beef cooking as I'm driving, nice to pull up and haver a roast dinner almost ready and cost zero in gas or electric to cook.(y)
I can just imagine it now! Boy, I really need a motorhome, as I'm missing out on a lot! Free cooking? Sorted. :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back