Cooking..........

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by stevetracey, Dec 4, 2014.

1. stevetracey

stevetracey Read Only Funster

Hi Funsters

Right spent a couple of nights now in our MH, which we have really enjoyed.

What does everyone take and cook and do you use the cooker, do you eat out or got something else you cook with?

I have seen and was told by the previous owners that they never used the oven.
    We have so far just done the basics, beans on toast, poached eggs and what is a no no to cook in our MH.

As long as the fridge has got wine and beer in I'm not normally worried but then you do get the munchies!!!!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

Just ask DuxDeluxe

• Like Like x 1
  3. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Always take a whole load of stuff that we never use, offer dinner for a nice couple of people and then have to ask them to bring most of the ingredients as the stuff that we have is not useable.

......and then burn it!

Usually get portions that we have previously frozen and cook those, which works if you have a decent size freezing compartment

4. iceni

iceni Read Only Funster

Its a matter of chioce
    We used to love cooking in our van. Made easier with a full size oven in the last 2 vans
    Cook the same as you would at home if you have a grill, rings or an oven.

Perhaps get a "double skillet" which can be used to cook lots of different things but basically no real change from home.
    You will find it a good idea to keep emergency supplies of certain foods to rustle something up at short notice so thinks like soup, chick peas, long life milk, cook in the bag stuff etc are a necessity

Phill

• Like Like x 1
  5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

It's a home. So same as in bricks and mortar home.

• Like Like x 6
  6. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

.......and in our van, just as badly cooked ;)

You are right, though, Brian - we simply plan ahead and take what we need or might need (and still get it wrong)

7. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

We spend months at a time in our van so use the oven exactly as we do at home the only other thing we use is a Remoska we would never buy a van with no oven. Use it and enjoy it.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  8. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster

Depends on how long we're going away for. If it's just a weekend we'll generally take stuff from the freezer which just needs reheating and then cooking rice, pasta or potatoes with it.

If it's a longer holiday we'll take some meals from the freezer but also buy stuff in the area we're staying.

There isn't anything I won't cook in the van that I cook at home, including smelly things like curry & fish! The only thing I don't cook in the van is chips but that's only because I haven't got a decent oven only one of the warming ovens.

Denise

9. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

We try and cook the same sort of things we would cook at home, although we do compromise by using sachets of rice rather than lose rice because it's easier in the van.
    We take a lot of frozen meat with us just in case we find ourselves in an overnight stop where there's no local shop, and we also take a couple of days supply of fresh veg for the same reason.
    A proper oven was a must when we were looking for a van but in 4 years and probably 40 weeks in the van we've only used the oven 3 or 4 times. We either use a double skillet, remoska, thermal oven or a bbq depending on what sort of place we're stopping at

10. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Sorry - can't hold myself back any longer................

upload_2014-12-4_12-48-15.jpeg :D:D:D

• Like Like x 5
  11. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Mmmm tasty ;)

12. StefAndDi

StefAndDi

We like to eat well when we're at home and we see no reason to do things differently when we're in the motorhome. I do all the cooking in our home and as Spring approaches I go into batch cooking mode. I make huge quantities of Lasagne, Chilli, Bolognaise and various Curries. Everything is portioned and frozen so that when we go away for a short trip we just grab a few tubs and dash off.
    As well as reducing the number of trips to the shops while we're away, it also means that we know exactly what went into our meal.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

We eat 98% of the time in the MH without the need for a oven. We have a slow cooker and a Remoska which works great. We used to have a microwave oven, but found we hardly used it, so removed it saving some weight. Cooking in advance and freezing it is the way ahead saving loads of money for the much needed wine, which again we don't buy bottles, but the box kind.......... DONE.

14. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

We don't have an oven in our van. I can't say I have missed it.

I like to cook and as we both need special diets it is often easier to cook than to go out. The slow cooker gets a lot of use as I find it is so versatile - it runs from an invertor when we are travelling and off the EHU on site.

We also have a small microwave so if worst comes to worst there is always the option of a ding dinner.

Whatever you cook at home you should be able to cook when you are away although I like to shop local and use fresh ingredients. We do always take a few basics so can cobble together an emergency stew from tins just in case.

If we are away for just a couple of nights I do tend to plan the menu and make sure I have everything after once forgetting a vital ingredient ;)

The last day we are away we will sometimes have a cooked breakfast which we don't do at home. Grill rather than fry though.

15. jaykay

jaykay Read Only Funster

[QUOTE="
    I like to cook and as we both need special diets it is often easier to cook than to go out. The slow cooker gets a lot of use as I find it is so versatile - it runs from an invertor when we are travelling and off the EHU on site.
    [/QUOTE]
    Is it safe having the slow cooker on whilst driving? Where do you put it and how do you stop it slpiing over and splashing?
    I'm not saying it isn't safe, just never thought about cooking on the move.

16. Tackle man

Tackle man Deleted User

Irene makes double quantities of Chilli, Spag Bol etc .. and freezes them ready for trips away. We also have a Mr D's pot, it is very useful. Food cooks in its own heat without any further power after the initial preparation. This means you can travel with food cooking with no power, and its ready when you get the other end. Also your food never burns. Simples! We have been using this method for several years and find it very good. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

That's what my wife does(y)

18. StefAndDi

StefAndDi

Lucky for you Chris. I shall have to teach Di how to cook!

• Like Like x 1
  19. sedge

sedge Funster

I do double quantities and freeze them too. I freeze them in an oblong ice cream container, lined with cling film and as soon as the food's solidified, tip it out of the box and close the cling, then overwrap it. Stick it back in the freezer. Then when you pack the van, it takes up far less room in the freezer.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

We are lucky enough to have a full sized cooker so eat the same as at home.