Cooking with a Wonderbag

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jim, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Just read an excellent article in the times about the wonderbag. A great way of slow cooking for wildcampers. Anybody got one? http://nb-wonderbag.com/

• Like Like x 3
  2. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Is this your new enterprise Jim?

Looks a good bit of kit.

3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

No, but it would be nice as they've sold millions,:Smile: they have the backing of governments and large companies like Microsoft to get it out to the third world. I imediatly saw the advantages for the wild camper, slow cooking means using a lot of gas or running a genny. The Wonderbag brings slow cooking to the wildcamper. 10 minutes on the hob, 10 hours in the bag. Could save cash at home too, not that leccy slow cookers use much.

4. Chris

I think the only real market in this country will be campers and tenters in particular.

It's still a pretty big market though.

5. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Good morning!

Tenters would only use it if static, because most of the time (nowadays only...it used to be different when there were no well equiped caravans , and very very few motorhomes) tenters treck and so use light stuff; they very rarely take more than one small pan which goes with the gas ring. The wonderbag would be of no interest , taking too much room in a rucksac , and most of the trekkers using dry food (sometimes already cooked) they only need to boil water or milk which takes about 5 minutes. But it is a good idea for caravans and motorhomes and even as an everyday way of saving gas or electricity!!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

6. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

It looks brilliant to me - and fantastic that they give one to a poor family in Africa every time someone here buys one.
    From our point of view it must take less room up than a slow cooker so even when on hook up it's a good thing.

7. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

We have a Dream Pot, an Australian product. Does the same thing, great when not on hook up or on the move :) Jane
    But it does not double as a hat :-(

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  8. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Looks more like a beanbag - so it'd be great to put your feet up at the end of a hard day.....:Wink:

9. Chris

Good morning.

I agree but I have seen a lot of tenters that roll up in there car, unload the kids and pitch a tent in a field. It would work for them I guess.

You wouldn't want to carry it round though if trekking.

10. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Oh yes most probably ! Just watched again the whole thing and yes as long as you have a vehicule to carry a big pan or what we call "une marmite" (nothing to do with Marmite LOL!) to make a stew it looks brillant . I was thinking of buying 4 or 5 (great for me to make the babies soups and just go for a nice walk with them without fearing to burn the house:RollEyes:) but did you see the delivery price for europe? and only max 3 items:Eek!: !!! So I am going to have a big thought about buying them and send them to someone in England who is supposed to visit me . Most would go to my family :my mum , my sister who is a very busy bee, my daughter... and may be JJ .... will wait to see what he thinks:RollEyes: . None for my son Yannick i know he won't have room for this in his rucksack (he would be very happy though to help people who need to have one!)

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Drew

Drew Funster

Sounds like a brilliant idea I might have to get one and see how good it is :thumb:

12. Drew

Drew Funster

These look good as well but at £94 are more expensive

13. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

It's a modern version of the ancient Haybox cooker.

Here's one you can make for a few pounds:

Haybox cooker

• Like Like x 1
  14. lorger

lorger Funster

I miss read the title i thought you said cooking in a wonderbra :Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  15. alfandM

alfandM Funster

Good Morning, Yes we use a pressure cooker when we are out and about, make a out side fire and put the p cooker on and presto 20 mins later a full meal, ie chicken and veggies, cost of cooking =0 just one match, even cheap to run on the gas in the MH, you all have a great day cheers Alf.:thumb:

16. alfandM

alfandM Funster

A another One cooking on the move, from your exhaust manifold of your MH, its cheap and it works!, wev'e made warm sandwiches, hot meat and veggies, the list is endless just for the imgination, have good all as the sweds say´. Alf.:thumb:

17. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I spent a stint of a few months in W Africa in 2003 & these were talked about as a way of avoiding wood fires in the open and in confined cookhouses (think small mud brick box about 8' x 8') Kids and adults breathing in woodsmoke for hours and the accidents involving burns (oil exploded all over over one child in the school--horrendous scarring, poor girl, and the 3 year old nephew of a teacher who was hauled out of a fire survived even though his burns turned septic--these sort of accidents must be multiplied all over the developing world)

18. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi there, I think I paid £55 for mine, at a show :Rofl1:, they come in two sizes, one stupidly tall and one family size (the one I bought). Even when on hook-up I regularly use it to cook rice as it does that so well. Can also be used as a cool box as that Wonderbag could be as well. Jane :Smile:

19. alfandM

alfandM Funster

Thankyou for that i will just keep on cooking out side with our PC, thats the pleasure of sweden and cooking out side , the cooker only cost 2pounds at a lopis been cooking with it for around 16years mostly out side, cheers Alf :thumb:

20. alfandM

alfandM Funster

Thanks will take a look, thats the beauty of scandinavia dont have cook in inclosed spaces, and the fire material is free and nature friendly, but like every where you have to be leval headed, about these things and keep children and pets at a safe distance, have it good cheers Alf:thumb: