Cooking Tips (1 Viewer)

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Not having an oven or microwave, some 'ready' meals seem excluded from the menu.

My work arounds;

I do enjoy a pie, with mash and beans or just a pie.

Most pies are cooked and just need warming up so;

Keep the pie in its foil tray, but removed the outer packing.
Place in a saucepan with the foil tray underneath, place the lid on the pan.
On your smallest gas ring and lowest heat, place the pan on to the heat and leave for about 10/15 minutes.
Test the temperature of the pastry, with the finger touch, not for the children :)
When hot enough, serve.

Ready meals, most require an oven or microwave, so,

Take a large pan, place a saucer in the base, add enough water but not to cover the ready meal.
Pierce the container films lids, place the plastic containers into the water and on the saucer ensuring that the water is not covering the meal. Place lid on the pan.
Bring the water to a low simmer and leave for about 15/20 minutes.
Check on the water level and top up with hot water if required.
When the meal is heated, remove the containers BUT be careful as the plastic container will be soft and flexible, so I lift it with a flat spatular and over the sink.
Open and serve.

The saucer protects the plastic tray from direct contact with the pan base and heat source.

Easy serving of ready meals;

264A46E100000578-0-image-a-1_1425424061419.jpg

I do sometimes eat from the trays but if you want to transfer to a plate or bowl it can be difficult to be patient and spoon the rice out and then pour the sauce over the rice, as there always seems to be spillage from the other half of the container.

So both in the van and at home I carefully use scissors to separate the two halves of the container, before cooking commences.

Cook as normal and then for serving just open one at a time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Old Man
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
And for lifting the hot dishes out of the saucepan try the Christmas Pudding method, a length of foil folded into a long strip round the bottom of the tray and over the top to form a loop.

Good idea, thank you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
And for lifting the hot dishes out of the saucepan try the Christmas Pudding method, a length of foil folded into a long strip round the bottom of the tray and over the top to form a loop.

Or the old method of using a bit of string!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back