cooking outside

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by darklord, Sep 18, 2011.

1. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

In another life, I used to enjoy sitting outside, with my gas BBQ/griddle type thing, having a cook up. The wife however, said as it was gas, it did'nt taste like a proper BBQ, and as for the griddle bit, we had other means of frying....so we got rid.
    Weve got a tiddly charcoal bbq for the obvious, big enough for us, but what is the preffered method amongst you lot, and is it just bbq, or bbq and griddle.

2. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Just an occasional disposable BBQ

3. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

We use a proper barbecue. We have a Cadac but never use it.

I have recently developed an intense dislike of char grilled meat so it rules out the Cadac or a griddle. With the old fashioned BBQ I seem to be able to avoid that char grilled taste.

4. bungy

bungy Funster

weve got a Outback Compact BBQ quite a handy little thing

Works a treat for the two of us, just the right size for two decent pieces of Steak:BigGrin:

5. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

Seldom BBQ when we are on our own but when a crowd of us get together we all tend to bring our own kit and has a mass cook in - usually involves a Cobb - a portable gas ring with a Paella dish and lid - a large Cadac or two and the food tends to get cooked on what ever is available at the time - usually from 8 to 15 people involved - great fun. Usually too much food involved but cannot say any taste any better than the other. Looking forward to Lincoln should get at least one good BBQ in hopefully more:thumb:

6. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Cadac with paella pan for us.:thumb:

7. jaygee

jaygee Funster

We have both charcoal BBQ and Cadac griddle plate cooker and which one we use depends on if I want my meat burnt to a crisp & black or edible:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    On another note - we have found that this summer the majority of campsites in France and Spain have banned charcoal BBQ's for obvious reasons!

8. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Have used the Spanish gas ring and cast iron gridle for years, the only problem with it is it tends to get rusty and I have to give it a good wire brushing before use, and of course its damned heavy.
    I also carry the disposable ones and if you buy them at this time of year you can normaly get 2 for 1.

9. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Whilst on sites it's my Cadac and skottel dish, at home though it's my Weber charcoal with dome top, it was quite expensive but with its indirect heating its possible for me to do a reasonable barbie without burning anything, theres usually enough residual heat left that I can put a chicken in foil in it, close the bottom vent, put the lid on and leave it overnight for a nicely cooked chicken for the following day. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

We have one of the big Webbers at home too. Great bit of kit.

We have the smaller version in the van.

11. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

I agree - we too have the Outback - ideal for griddled bacon or traditional bbq burnt sausages (that is probably just the way I cook them). Better than the gas ring which blew out unless protected on 3 sides - the Outback can do the same job but the flame is protected.

12. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

I use a Camping camp kitchen BBQ. [​IMG] also can become just two rings

Food always taste better cooked outside although I mainly end up eating it in the van.

13. wander

wander Read Only Funster

:BigGrin:Food always tastes better if it's cooked by someone else - or so my wife keeps telling me. I've got a feeling that's just a ploy to get me at the stove, she even tells me I look fetching in my apron!:Laughing:
    Gave up bbq's years ago - too much hard work and I was starving by the time the coals had heated through enough to start cooking.:Sad:

14. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

The autotrail has an exterior plug in gas point..so I use a old fashioned "boyscout" bulletproof cast iron double ring..sit in on a table and use it with ordinary frying pans saucepans etc and cook outside when ever I can.

barry

15. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

yes we bring the cobb bit of the party

As Bill has said (Landylover) at meets you will find us all using various cooking means for a joint meal.. works well.

I use the cobb to BBQ, I can roast a chicken, broil salt beef, fry up, .. it has a lot of items.. like a griddle pan, a frying pan, a wok, grill and a chicken stand... tryed them all, it does what it says on the tin.

I can use coconut compressed cobb stones or normal charcol ...

Bob:Blush:

16. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Is this your lot at a barbie, all you need is 5 loaves and 2 fishes:Wink:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

We use a double ring electric cooker out side for most stuff but there are some foods Mo prefers to prepare on the Cadac ( Yes, Cadac with paella pan for us too )

18. Drew

Drew Funster

The most important thing, if you choose to barbecue with charcoal, is to have the right charcoal. Properly made charcoal will light easily and get hot quickly, in the UK you can't beat locally made charcoal, in France it's about all you can get.
    As someone who makes it I can't stress enough the complete uselessness of briquettes, they are 40% cement dust, and most "lumpwood" charcoal comes from unsustainable sources or is a by product of chemical extraction processes.
    Throw away barbecues are not really a very sustainable solution either These are much better http://www.barbecuesworld.co.uk/p/Hotspot_Notebook_Grill.htm
    :Wink:

19. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

We use the Austrailan charcol

We use the Austrailian BBQ charcoal.

Bob:Eeek:

20. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

the smoke alarm in the Rv goes off if i boil a kettle so it stands to reason the BBQ gets used a bit :Doh: