Cooking on two gas rings, any hints, tips or recipes? (1 Viewer)

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Still planning ahead to our new van and thinking of meals. We're not initially going for an External BBQ or microwave, oven or any heat source other than the two gas rings that come with the van (including Remoska!). We'll probably eat in pubs or have takeaways in the evening so it's only breakfast and a bit of lunch that we need to cover. Cold salads, cereal and sandwiches are an option, but it's nice to have something hot sometimes.

I'm thinking that a fried breakfast is probably not too hard to conjure up, especially if the meaty items are pre-cooked and just reheated in a pan and an egg or two added ... soup for lunch is a pretty obvious choice ... after that I'm struggling for ideas. Ideally they wouldn't cause too much splatter (can you still get splatter guards for frying pans?) or stink the van out for hours afterwards!

I've seen toasting racks that sit on gas rings and yesterday I saw some sort of sandwich toaster (it could have been a medieval torture device masquerading as a toaster though :) ). Any other cunning gadgets too?

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No different to cooking at home on the gas burners although we have an oven in the van it's mainly used for par baked bread for breakfast.
For fatty things that spit a lot we use one of the cheap 10 quid gas rings outside.

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Those steamers are handy in the mh .. the ones like a colinder that you place on top to steam the veg.. sorry not good at explaining. .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I'm with Lenny re cooking fatty stuff outside on the little cheap gas ring.

We don't have an oven and Mrs Funflair does lots of stuff on the gas rings a lot of which we have taken from home frozen.

BUT we have recently made a significant investment into the world of Remoska cooking, now there are a lot of gadget around the kitchen that really you just dont need BUT this one does actually work and you can have a whole meal without even lifting the lid on the gas hob, It does need 240 electric though, only about 2 amps.

I don't do cooking but I remembered something my Mum used to do in the AGA oven so thought I would try it in the Reloska.

Hash and Dash (dont know why its called that or if anybody else calls it that)

little balls of sausage meat, two or three eggs beaten with a little milk, tin of baked beans, a couple of tomatoes if you like but I forgot, chuck it all in the Remoska and gently stir but aim to keep the beans and the egg separate, put the lid on and switch on pour a glass of wine or two and 45 minutes later tea is ready serve with bread and butter if you fancy it.

Martin

Last edited:
Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Those steamers are handy in the mh .. the ones like a colinder that you place on top to steam the veg.. sorry not good at explaining. .
Oh yes that something else we have and have used possibly once.

Martin

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That reminds me we do have a small pressure cooker cheap €20 one picked up on Spanish supermarket.
Often when traveling prepair a meal during lunch time stop ready to cook at the end of the day. Only do it that way in winter try to avoid long drives in good weather.

Don't do bar-b-que's more to life than wasting hours burning meat.

Upvote 0

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
It does need 240 electric though, only about 2 amps.
Martin

Note to anyone interested that off hook up using the inverter I reckon it uses about 50amps per hour for the large Remouska.

We use ours whilst on the move a lot (B2B charger), great to get to destination with the dinner cooked already.:xThumb:

Upvote 0

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
In a previous, basic, van that had only one gas ring I found a home made Dutch Oven very good for heating and baking things like pies, kievs and other small bakeable dishes.
Of course, if you had a Remoska............. :)

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Chilli's and curries are only two pot things, I make these a lot.
I also have a george foreman grill. This is great for breakfasts, burgers, steaks etc etc. Gives you plenty of time on the hob for the side stuff.

fish finger sandwiches currently being made :)

This is on my list for next year.
http://amzn.to/2hR48DD

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Diablos are quite handy too for toasted snacks in a couple of minutes wfilled with cheese, egg, or beans ... on phone so cannot upload picture. Don't waste any bread .. don't forget to use the bits you cut off when you fill ..as the lining for the next one.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
There are a lot of 1 Pot recipes around, even on here if you can find em.

With a 2 burner try this

Pot #1 cook 500gms Tagatelli in slightly salted water until Al dente
Rinse and drain
Pot #2 slice 500 gms Mushrooms, Tsp Easy Garlic small glass white wine Chopped parsley to serve

Heat oil over medium heat, add mushrooms, cook for 2-3 min, add wine and garlic, cook till wine is almost evaporated, add pasta to mushroom&wine mix add parsley and season to taste, toss to combine & serve immediately
Serves 4-6
serve with a green salad and crusty bread
Adjust quantities to suit.

Cooking in M/H is not all Tins and beans on toast

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you can crack the toast making then scrambled or poached eggs on toast makes a good breakfast. And not too much washing up afterwards - something to consider if planning fry-ups.
You don't mention where you are going but if it is somewhere hot, salads and cold meats and cheese serve us for lunch more or less every day.
For cooking chicken bits etc in the evening in a hot country get a gas BBQ. With a big wide pan you can do paella on one too.
:)

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
And here's another one

Grate raw potato (using a cheese grater) onto a tea towel, wring to rid moisture (this needs to be done immediately before cooking else the potato turns brown)
Heat oil in pan (slightly more than normal) form Shredded potato onto small patties, fry in oil until golden brown, turn to do other side.
As well as Potato patties in pan add Mushrooms minus stalk, and slice toms,
Season & Serve
I find the 3 slices of toms and 3 mushroom caps and 2 potato patties are sufficient for a light breakfast/brunch/lunch.

Upvote 0

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We don't have an oven in our van, by choice. We have 3 gas rings and a microwave that we rarely use, simply because we rarely use hook up. It was in our van when we bought it and will be removed when it fails. We have some friends that have recently bought a motorhome (tugged previously) and were insistent that they needed a full cooker, despite our best efforts to tell them otherwise - each to their own. On their first outing with us as 'virgin motorhomers' they decided it would be nice if we each cooked a meal over the weekend, a bit of a 'Come Dine With Me" - without the scorecards obviously :xThumb: So, we were duty bound to show what could be cooked without an oven. We made paprika pork with spiced lentils, carrot, onion & garlic and other seasonings. They were astounded at the flavours that could be created with 2 gas rings - btw we have a double skillet that we used to cook the pork :xwink:

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
Stir fry in a wok/frying pan with noodles is a very easy one pot dish. I also give my vote for the George Foreman grill. We have used ours loads both inside and out - just remember the extension lead.

Upvote 0

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Sandwich toasting bags are great. They are designed to work in a toaster but I use them in a griddle pan in a low heat and they work really well. I also use them to reheat croissants.

Alternative to a cooked breakfast is drop pancakes with whatever topping you like. We like fresh fruit, yoghurt and a drizzle of honey.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
We're not initially going for an External BBQ or microwave, oven or any heat source other than the two gas rings that come with the van

I also give my vote for the George Foreman grill. We have used ours loads both inside and out - just remember the extension lead.

So that will work on a gas grill then? xroll:

Stir fry in a wok is a good plan though, rice boils nicely on a ring too :xThumb:

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Tinned tomatoes heated, stir in grated cheese, melt. Dunk in fresh bread...good lunch menu.

Cut up salami, into a frying pan, add tinned tomatoes, tin baked beans, bouquet garni, tin of water. On other hob cook some pasta. Mix the two together for a very quick tasty meal.

For breakfast, what about French/ Gypsy toast? Beat egg and milk together, put slice of bread in the egg mixture, then fry in a pan. Nice with fruit compote, or sprinkled with sugar.

Cut bacon into pieces, fry, add sliced, cooked potatoes, grated cheese. Delicious. Easy. Nice with salad.

I could go on! :xgrin:

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
And here's another one

Grate raw potato (using a cheese grater) onto a tea towel, wring to rid moisture (this needs to be done immediately before cooking else the potato turns brown)
Heat oil in pan (slightly more than normal) form Shredded potato onto small patties, fry in oil until golden brown, turn to do other side.
As well as Potato patties in pan add Mushrooms minus stalk, and slice toms,
Season & Serve
I find the 3 slices of toms and 3 mushroom caps and 2 potato patties are sufficient for a light breakfast/brunch/lunch.

You can add grated cheese to the grated potato too. And if you don't want to do individual pates .. do it in one .. like a pancake ...turn over ...

Can do all sorts of variations .. top with slices of cooked tomatoes slices of onions black pepper Worcester sauce ... and slice up like a pie. This prob works better if you had an oven to put in for 10 mins but I have worked round that on the hob.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
We cook pretty much everything you would at home except for breakfast and fish. Can't stand the stench in the MH.

We use hot plates, oven and remoska.

Outdoors? Anything goes especially fish on hotplate or Cadac grill.

The grill on our oven is pointless, like a grill in a 70s camper!

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Eggy bread/ French toast
Omelettes - ordinary UK style, with whatever filling/ topping you have available, or Spanish potato style
If you can do soup, you can do stew
Any pasta, with any sauce
Any rice with any accompaniment
Salads - cold or warm - be adventurous! - they don't have to be "rabbit food"
Fresh veg - boil or, for preference, steam (less steam into the atmosphere than boiling)
Well... anything you could do on a ring at home really!

Avoid frying
Avoid fish
Avoid burning anything

Open a window

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread