Cooking a turkey crown in a slow cooker (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Has anyone ever done it ?
I'm doing a large beef joint and a large ham , on Christmas Day , and are well practiced in preparing those, but you've got to have turkey too. If only to please the traditionalists.
It's quite big 4 1/2 kg. I might have to just do half if it won't fit!
But the dogs can eat the other bit , if so.
A neighbour told me that the turkey stays a lot moister ( is that a word! ) in the slow cooker. She suggested white wine rosemary and thyme and onions.
But I don't want to ruin it. Though this way sounds nicer to me than just roasting covered in streaky bacon , as I usually do. Plus it will free up the oven a bit?
Any ideas anyone?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I'd have thought you'd need a good stock in the cooker to prevent it from drying out. Other than that, sounds like a good plan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I do joints of brisket and most meet joints in the slow cooker. If you like meat with a bit of colour best to brown the joint in the frying pan first on all sides, then throw it in the slow cooker with a little stock, just to keep it moist. Many make the mistake of putting to much liquid in the cooker, which is not necessary.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
slow cooker ... white wine rosemary and thyme and onions
Sounds yummy! I think I'm going to have to fight with my sister about how we're going to cook the turkey at my dad's Xmas "do"

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We cook most joints in the slow cooker, with just a little water. We've done a turkey crown in the past and it certainly does come out moister and with plenty of flavour without anything more.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I do a whole chicken in the slow cooker and put a quartered lemon into the cavity - it produces a lovely lemony stock. No extra liquid required.

We're going to do something similar in the electric frying pan on Christmas day :)

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
No turkey for me I've got this.
WP_20141215_003.jpg

Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
We regularly cook large joints of meat including poultry in the slow cooker. excellent results and meat always moist. Also shrinks far less than in a conventional oven. You could alternatively put the beef or ham joint in the slow cooker and get excellent results.

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
. You could alternatively put the beef or ham joint in the slow cooker and get excellent results.
I've already got tried and tested excellent results with my ham and beef. Mmmm
It's the turkey crown , I don't want it to dry out. But want it cooked through. I think I'll go with the bit of white wine and herbs and onion. I'm just not sure of the times , being the slow cooker.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
It's an early start I'm afraid. See this as an example recipe looking a lot like yours (6 hours cooking for 2.5 kg):

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/30923/slow-cooker-tender-turkey-crown.aspx

EDIT

just found this:

How long do I cook my turkey?

Weigh your prepared stuffed turkey and use the calculation below as a guide.
A general rule is 20 minutes per kg (2.2lb) in weight + 70minutes if under 4kg (8½ lb)
20 minutes per kg (2.2lb) in weight + 90minutes if 4kg (8½ lb) and over

EDIT AGAIN
I go tthe above timings from
http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/Slow-roast-christmas-turkey.aspx#.VJM0NtKsWYE
but on second thoughts I'm not sure that the timing's long enough???

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Cook it in some of that lovely beer you make if you haven got enough room pot rost or use your BBQ wrap up in foil marinated in some of that lovely beer with bay levees and rosemary
bill

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
+ 1 well 2 actually
If I cook it good lady wife eats it, let's hope she doesn't read this or I can forget the Santa outfit this year :D

If turkey was so good why wouldn't we eat it all year.. it's relatively cheap, relatively healthy, simple and enough for a whole family.. fact is unless you're a master chef it is dry and tasteless and people insist on getting massive birds they're still eating when they've gone off..

We alternate years with kids other parents. When it's our year to be just us we have good steak from a butcher and when it's a year to have the kids we do a couple of pre packed pre seasoned roast joints to make sure there's something easy to cook that everyone likes. We Stoll do all the trimmings for the kids but for is chips and mushrooms is good enough.. and Christmas pudding with brandy sauce haha

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Not done turkey in the slow cooker but always cook other joints in one. No need for any liquid but you can put some in the bottom if you want to add some flavour but only about 1" in the bottom.

Cook on low for 8 hours to make sure it's fully cooked and will fall off the bones and be really moist.

Denise

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Not done turkey in the slow cooker but always cook other joints in one. No need for any liquid but you can put some in the bottom if you want to add some flavour but only about 1" in the bottom.

Cook on low for 8 hours to make sure it's fully cooked and will fall off the bones and be really moist.

Denise
I've done roasts in the slow cooker before and a chicken too. As I said never a big Turkey crown. It's 4.148kg which is 9.14lb or so it says on the tinternet. I might get Ralph to chop it down the middle whilst it's still frozen, with a new stihl saw blade !
So it's defrosts quicker too.
I bought it for £25 or so, before Xmas fresh. I did the right thing as they went right up, nearly double, in price as I thought. I'll put a drop of wine Herbs and onion in , to keep it moist and give it a go. Unless Someone else comes up with something better..... If all else fails , we'll still have the beef and ham.

Reactions: CWH

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Regularly cook whole chickens but haven't done Turkey before. As said by others there is no need for any liquid to be added unless you want to increase your stock volume. Always moist and this method never seems dry.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Daft question but will it actually fit in the slo cooker?

I use mine alot for beef and gammon so I can't see that there'd be any difference with a turkey crown - I have been caught out a few times getting joints that were too big though:giggler:

graham&shirley

Free Member
Jul 1, 2014
Preston lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
Regularly cook whole chickens but haven't done Turkey before. As said by others there is no need for any liquid to be added unless you want to increase your stock volume. Always moist and this method never seems dry.

Same as above,
slow cookers are great for meat like some one said always brown and seal beef pork or lamb but
I have never browned chicken so I wouldn't turkey.
Stick it in the warmed pot put lid on it and forget it job done;)

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Thank you for this thread, reading all the advice I went down to the basement and dug out the slow cooker which we had only used once, as I didn't know how to use it.
I cooked the turkey crown in it today and it cooked up fantastically well , very moist and tasty . We shall be using it a lot more with it now.
Thank you :xThumb:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I went down to the basement and dug out the slow cooker which we had only used once, as I didn't know how to use it
That seems quite a risky strategy for Xmas dinner!!! So glad it worked out well for you, it can make meals so much simpler. The best bit is, you can be out walking all day and come back to something hot & tasty & already done. Enjoy!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back