Cooker hood extractor wiring on switches (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hi

I have a cooker hood/extractor which has three switches.
Left switch for the left downlight, middle switch for the extractor and right switch for the right downlight.

The left switch doesn't work.
The right switch operates both left & right downlights.
The middle switch operates the extractor fan as it should.

I've been trying to find out if the left switch is faulty or if it has been bypassed to just use one switch for both lights.

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to try switching the wire terminals on the switches today but took a photo of the current wiring to remind me when I'm next in the van.

For the electrical-minded among us, what do you think?
image.jpg

image.jpg

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Looped wire = 12v power
Thin wire with rubbish crimp = fan
Remaining wires on extreme outer switch connection = one to each light.

I can't see any alteration to the switch wiring so any L - R linking must be directly from light-to-light.

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Thanks Tony
Do you think it's the switch then?
I can't understand why one switch is powering both lights when the othe switch isn't working.

Looks like I may have to take the extractor off and open it up to check and see

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
From a practical point not sure why anyone would want one light at a time. The middle switch was wired by someone with different kit to the rest of it but motorhomes are strange in the fact that they use different colours for live and return on the 12v systems to what we expect from our contact with 240v. Quite why someone would use all red cable for everything is beyond me. A little time with you multi tester should enable you to draw the circuit on paper and then work out what will give you Independent left and right lights. The switches are easily tested with you meter to see if they are faulty. If you fold a piece of masking tape round each wire you identify and disconnect it will enable you to either return to as you are or change them.

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Thanks Traveller - the lights are pretty bright and to be fair, I could manage with only one on. However that's not the reason for wanting to sort this. It's that I have a switch that doesn't work.
The previous owner has probably
Not bothered or has had an issue and done something to bypass it rather than sort it.
I can't see anyone stripping it all down to change it for any other reason.
Will try with multi meter and will update once done.
Thanks again

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
image.jpeg
Just thought I'd give you all an update on this.
After checking that all wires and switches worked, we found that the white wire which is from the right hand light and going into the top right hand block connector, should in fact go into the block connector where the brown wire goes into. (3rd one down)
On doing so, the switches now work as they're designed to.

Someone has gone to a lot of trouble, stripping the cupboard and extractor fan unit to swap this wire, just to have one switch turn on two lights and have the other switch redundant.
I know, as it took me a lot of trouble finding the problem!
Anyway, all's well that ends well as they say and thanks to my trusty Dad for his help!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Yes we noticed that however there's two feeds. There's the brown & blue which traced back is in a white flex like household 230v and there's also a red & black auto wire.
We thought that maybe the latter came from the main control panel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back