Cooker help

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Spottycatz, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Spottycatz

Spottycatz Read Only Funster

Hi all. This is a great group and I have enjoyed reading back through so many pages of help and information, but I have not been able to find the info I require.
    We have just bought a Toscana exclusive and it doesn't have an oven! No probs really, but can you recommend what we should buy in place of an inboard oven. We will be travelling extensively in France and Spain, using Aires and campsites.

I have read about the Halogen cookers and they seem good, but what do the experienced campervanners recommend?

Thanks in advance.:thumb:

Steve

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi Steve.. and welcome..

Few, if any, continental vans have an oven, for the simple reason that the continentals do most (weather permitting) cooking outdoors on a Gas or Charcoal BBQ.. as do many Brit campers..

Space permitting you have the option of fitting an oven .. but you sacrifice storage space and payload..

Options are, Halogen oven, Microwave Oven, Double Skillet, Slow cookers and Pressure cookers..

Personally, I prefer outdoors and do so at every opportunity .. Cooking inside makes a smell, causes condensation and isn't half as much fun... but appreciate the British weather isn't always suitable.. :Wink:

3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I didnt have an oven fitted inside the van as its a German import. So I fitted a Roastmaster camping oven in the garage, with its own gas supply. It has 2 rings on the top for the chip pan and pressure cooker to save filling the van up with steam. They are primarily designed for tent campers and come with carry handles and a built in wind-shield. Got it from Johns Cross with funster discount. Great bit of kit.

4. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Heres a piccy of the Roastmaster in action.

Attached Files:

5. lindylou

lindylou Funster

Double skillet. Does a super meal on the hob.

Lin

• Like Like x 1
  6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

7. Spottycatz

Spottycatz Read Only Funster

Thank you for your comments. We're going to get a gas BBQ and along with the cooker hob, see how we get on our first 3 month trip. :Smile:

8. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

After carrying around the fitted oven for 4 years without using it once, I decided the space it occupies would be better used for other stuff.. That was a year ago and we still do not miss it !
    When we are going to be away and on hookup for long periods I pop a microwave in the hole.

Other than that we use a Cadac to supplement the hob

9. gasman2008

gasman2008 Read Only Funster

We have a gas BBQ with a lid this makes a good oven when the lid is closed, and a BBQ with the lid open.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bluemerle

Bluemerle Read Only Funster

I have an oven in my truck, but prefer to use my Cobb. Fire it up, stand it out side, put the lid on and theres your oven. Cook whole chicken, various cuts of meat and joints, bread etc. Also great with a wok for your stir fries:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  11. jaygee

jaygee Funster

I bought a Remoska and a double skillet but have to be honest am not 100% convinced on either so have just purchased a halogen oven which lots of people say they swear by.
    Husband was willing to fit a microwave but we would loose a cupboard & not convinced it would be that good!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Peter M

Peter M Read Only Funster

:Smile: