Converting a Refrigerated Transit LWB HR Panel Van to a Campervan/Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi may be not what you want to hear but it may be what you want to hear :D@ 5ft 8 ins wide unless you are small a transverse bed will be small:) so longitude bed will be better -You should be looking for a newish caravan or look at making your own furniture (y)Unfortunately to get your van reg as a motor caravan you will need to put in some windows as now they need to look like a M/C- You need to fit a seating area which can convert to a bed,sink.2 ring cooker a wardrobe and a table -The cupboard under the sink can be called a wardrobe :DAlso the table should be fixed at some point but they usually allow a fold away table that if push came to shove you could fasten it to a cupboard or floor
Is it easy ? yes if you have skills or not so easy if you have not :D but all perfectly doable if you take your time (y)
Good luck on your project -keep us informed and we like pics (y)Any specific questions just ask :)
terry

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
How are you doing with your self build @just wandering ( original poster)? Have you got your insulation in or even got around to fixing in your cupboards yet. We'd love to see your progress.

NewbieTransit

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Transit
Exp
Thanks Terry I have the skills but like for most it's the time.

I spoke to someone today and they said it's 80% planning and 20% work. So taking this month to get the planning right and fit all in a week ;). Terry what do you class as a newish caravan, what year onwards?.

Do I have to get registered as motorhome. I drive it under a motor traders policy so insurance is not an issue for me. I will double check with dvla and my insurance broker to ensure I am doing what I should. I planned for everything bar windows, at a push I could replace the two backdoors and the ceiling. I am loathe to mess with the sides.

Longitudinal bed makes sense but that design seems uncommon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi all, I also own a Transit 350lwb that is insulated and a fridge van. I have owned the vehicle for several years. I bought it from the firm I worked for previously. I have decided to convert this and will be working to a tight budget and timeframe to get work done. I will be keeping the existing insulation. The vehicle is factory converted bi fuel on lpg with an 80litre tank and I'm hoping that I can use both of these; what may be considered negatives to my advantage.

Height is 60inches after taking into account insulation and the width is 68 after insulation. I'm hoping with the insulation and gas already in I could save a few bob. Downside less space and a crook neck and I have two tanks petrol and lpg taking up space below.
I plan to buy a caravan or source secondhand gubbins. The only area I won't skimp is the gas and electrics. I plan to put a decent chunk of the budget to a decent heating setup.

So I have a few questions

Is it easy to swap the inside from a caravan and are there brands/makes I should stay away from. In other words when I start dismantling will the old stuff fall apart.

Secondly what is the consensus on no windows. I appreciate it will be dark but as I will be dumping it here and there due to work I dont fancy it being seen as a motorhome.( even if very basic).. Are there fire restrictions that say you must have windows or you must not block say the backdoor?. Thirdly with the measurements what type of berth should I look to design.

Fourthly any tips for bed advice in a Transit.

Finally any tips or advice; even if its not what I want to hear is most welcome.
having converted a few vans over the years, the internal dimensions with existing insulation will be a serious obstacle.
a donor caravan is a great idea. preferably under about 7 years old so the heater and fridge are likely still reliable
you need windows if you want it registered as a motorhome, or you wont be accepted on sites

big problem is the lpg tank is going to be a liquid take off, not vapour so useless for running heating or fridge

as said before to the op pay a lot of attention to the floor, as fridge vans rot there very quickly

NewbieTransit

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Transit
Exp
Thanks TheBig1

The company I worked for had it on the road for two years before I bought it off them. Since then it has been used for the wife's eBay related business, light work, no water or chiller stuff. So I'm taking the gamble. Fully appreciate the point about water related usage and rot.

I'm hoping I can use existing pipework underneath for the lpg if not the tank. I will check with the fella who gives the lpg it's yearly check. I know zero about lpg/gas but will see what can be done.

I will unquestionably lose space but over the past fortnight I have been monitoring the temp in the back and the insulation has held up well at midnight and six am. So with the quality of the insulation I think it's worth keeping it. As I will lose space, I will have to go for an unconventional layout. It's not a job I'm doing to have any resell value hence me cutting corners and chucking money at removable stuff rather than bespoke bits that will be obsolete. Call it a test run before doing a proper job in 2018 on a newer vehicle.

If I put windows in the rear doors does that count or do they have to be side windows or a certain amount of windows?

davefiatforum

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im new
It's been a long time coming, I kept on getting pulled away to other things going on with family, but here are the results.

After making the decision to go ahead and strip out the insulated compartments, I did a little more research into the materials used. The top layer of the insulated floor was made of fibreglass with a screed of resin and was virtualy impregnable.

So stripping commenced and this is the progress so far.

View attachment 65734

View attachment 65735

View attachment 65739

View attachment 65740

View attachment 65741

View attachment 65742

View attachment 65743

View attachment 65744

View attachment 65745

As you can see, there is very little corrosion at all - well pleased!

The units are still installed as i'm trying to sell them, that's why the roof insulation is still in place to support the weight of the units.

This was done about 10 days ago and i'm now in the process of grinding down/repairing the rusty bits on the exterior (photos to follow on completion) hopefully within a few days.
Bit of a long shot as this is old thread (sorry to bump it) but any tips on removing the fridge floor please?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
it's a nasty job as I said in your other thread

davefiatforum