Converting a Refrigerated Transit LWB HR Panel Van to a Campervan/Motorhome (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
just wandering

just wandering

Free Member
Feb 12, 2015
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi JW once you rip everything out it leaves you a van (yours looks like a MWB) that is 10ft long from back of drivers seat and at it widest point 5 ft 9 ins wide (bed height)that narrows down to 5 ft ish across the top -if it's a SWB van the length reduces to 8 ft long -Jumbos/lwb are 14 ft long ish -personally I would rip the lot out and start from scratch
terry
FORGOT TO SAY HI ROOF IS JUST OVER 6 FT AND MEDIUM ROOF IS 5FT 7 ISH HIGH

I'm now having second thoughts about striping anything out as a rusted real floor does not sound appealing, might be better to sell it as a working refrigerated van.

OP
OP
just wandering

just wandering

Free Member
Feb 12, 2015
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Sq feet or sq meters multiply: length x breadth..

for volume in cubic meters or cubic feet.. multiply: length x breadth x height

I would start on the floor.. probably need to saw it out section at a time.. .. once you get started it will become clearer how best to proceed

Thanks for the info! I'll give it a go.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
FWIW I agree with Mitzi, sell it as it is and get an ordinary vanilla flavoured van to convert. Tons of work stripping out a fridge van only to find its dissolving from the inside out.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Limited personal experience but I have seen a few and they were all rotten underneath the insulated floor. Trouble is you can't see what its like till you've gutted it and its a bit late then.

D.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I'm now having second thoughts about striping anything out as a rusted real floor does not sound appealing, might be better to sell it as a working refrigerated van.
That's what I would do ;)If you are not afraid of work I have a 2007 vw crafter ambulance that may be for sale (£3000 ono)-I bought it for my self but have also bought a merc vito so I/we ARE GOING TO MAKE THAT INTO a small day van for me to try out see if I can live with it for a few days away -if not then I will sell that once it's done -Just got to get this bus finished and I can make a start on the vito
terry

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
taking the floors out of fridge trailers , they were always rotten. we had to scrap more than we fixed.

OP
OP
just wandering

just wandering

Free Member
Feb 12, 2015
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Well, I've decided to go ahead and strip it out. I threw a bucket of water onto the floor and it is draining away as it should do, down the drainage holes. The floor itself is in excellent condition and underneath the van is in excellent condition. I'll post the results, good or bad.

OP
OP
just wandering

just wandering

Free Member
Feb 12, 2015
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
It's been a long time coming, I kept on getting pulled away to other things going on with family, but here are the results.

After making the decision to go ahead and strip out the insulated compartments, I did a little more research into the materials used. The top layer of the insulated floor was made of fibreglass with a screed of resin and was virtualy impregnable.

So stripping commenced and this is the progress so far.

insulation-stripped-out-01.jpg

insulation-stripped-out-02.jpg

insulation-stripped-out-06.jpg

insulation-stripped-out-07.jpg

insulation-stripped-out-08.jpg

insulation-stripped-out-09.jpg

insulation-stripped-out-10.jpg

insulation-stripped-out-11.jpg

insulation-stripped-out-12.jpg

As you can see, there is very little corrosion at all - well pleased!

The units are still installed as i'm trying to sell them, that's why the roof insulation is still in place to support the weight of the units.

This was done about 10 days ago and i'm now in the process of grinding down/repairing the rusty bits on the exterior (photos to follow on completion) hopefully within a few days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
just wandering

just wandering

Free Member
Feb 12, 2015
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
use this stuff to treet the rust this is the best stuff i have fund http://jenolite.net/
good luck with the project think you have ben very lucky rust wise
bill

Cheers for the link Bill! I've ordered some original and will be delivered tomorrow (friday). Lucky indeed, the neighbours must have been wondering what was going on in the van (shouts of joy, yes ya beauty and all that) when the original floor was finaly revealed.

OP
OP
just wandering

just wandering

Free Member
Feb 12, 2015
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Sorry, no photos as of yet. I had intended to post photos when I finished repairing rust spots on the exterior. Then I decided to repair the rust in the interior and then post photos.

Well, I have been working on the van almost every day since the last posting.

The exterior rust spots are repaired, stickers removed and the whole exterior has had T-cut Original applied with only a 1st coat of primer applied, just can't seem to get that perfect day for spray painting.

The interior floor and walls are almost rust free, all the glue removed that was used for fixing the batons to the floor and walls and T-cut Original applied and a 1st coat of primer applied, from the cab all the way to the back doors.

I now have full access to the interior of the side sliding door that has not been opened since I got the van. I almost had it fixed, but at the last second I decided to put it back to the stuck position as there was a high probability that it could have fallen off onto the road by the time I got from the interior to the exterior of the door. I will need a helping hand with it to be on the safe side.

I've also had the refrigeration unit degassed, electrics disconnected and is now ready to be dismantled.

OP
OP
just wandering

just wandering

Free Member
Feb 12, 2015
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
I got the side sliding door opened today, there's a bolt missing from middle runner that is attached to the door which seems to be the problem. So hopefully a new bolt will fix the problem.

Lynne Steele

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Lleyn peninsula
Funster No
MH
Majestic accordo 125
Exp
4 years
This first set of photos were taken by the seller on fleabay as I viewed them online.

Before I bought the van I researched the refrigerated units, fridge and freezer and the insulated wall, floor and ceiling panels. I should be able to re-sell the lot for a few hundred. Also, I should be able to re-sell the bulkhead.

Of course, that means nothing if the van itself is useless. The van is a good runner with a few repair jobs needing done. I don't have a deadline or a prefered time to complete the conversion, but I reckon a good few months at best.

Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Which ever van you choose to convert, Google Deep Red, he has done a nice job, it was permanently on our iPad whilst we did our first conversion. Good luck

OP
OP
just wandering

just wandering

Free Member
Feb 12, 2015
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Which ever van you choose to convert, Google Deep Red, he has done a nice job, it was permanently on our iPad whilst we did our first conversion. Good luck

Hi. I think it might have been yourself that I found out about deep red a while back. Must pay another visit as it's been a good while since I was there. Thanks!

OP
OP
just wandering

just wandering

Free Member
Feb 12, 2015
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all. Finaly got the refrigeration units dismantled and the last of the insulation removed from the ceiling area.

The cab has had a good scrub out - seat covers removed and put in the washing machine, dashboard, door cards, step covers and footwells scrubbed down with soap flakes to the original surface and finished off with trim shine. Ripped all the carpeting out and will renew after sound deadner/insulation is completed.

I've had a couple of setbacks with the van lately, nothing that can't be sorted though. A spring broke on the O/S front strut which resulted in a mashed tyre, so I got 2 front struts from fleabay and just waiting for someone to give me a helping hand to do the repair.

To be honest i've been a bit dispondent with the whole shabang, it seems to be taking forever just to get to the stage where I'll start putting stuff in.

I will be taking some photos soon to go with the latest posts. (I promise :))

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
To be honest i've been a bit dispondent with the whole shabang, it seems to be taking forever just to get to the stage where I'll start putting stuff in.

I will be taking some photos soon to go with the latest posts. (I promise :))

Don't give up ! It's a lot harder for you, to get to the stage that Ralph's at now. He's had a nice new van to start with. It sounds as though your doing everything right , not just covering things over. Out of site out of mind..... Hats off to you. Hope you get someone soon to help you with the strut.
Your having to fix mechanical problems and body work , before you even start on the inside. So it will take time .
But try not to burn yourself out doing it.
Ralph has, working on Pug.
It's hard because you want to finish and get using your new toy. But draining your energy banks in doing so , by working full time then every spare hour can take its toll.
You'll be at the insulating stage before you know it. Then it starts to look like a campervan. Keep on posting , I know the positive comments Ralph's received push him on. When he's wanted to leave it a few weekends. Don't forget the pictures too. Your doing a great job.

OP
OP
just wandering

just wandering

Free Member
Feb 12, 2015
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Don't give up !

No, I'm not intending to. I had planned on finishing sometime this summer, unfortuanetly unforseen family concerns arose that took 1st priority. Thanks for your encouragement! - watch this space. (y)

OP
OP
just wandering

just wandering

Free Member
Feb 12, 2015
Paisley
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
please don't give up,
No, I'm not intending to. I had planned on finishing sometime this summer, unfortuanetly unforseen family concerns arose that took 1st priority. Thanks for your encouragement! - watch this space. (y)

C & V ^ couldn't do without it! :giggle:

Are you accepting new members at all for the bodge and f---k it brigade? Sometimes I think i'm just too dam pernickety.. :LOL:

NewbieTransit

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Transit
Exp
Hi all, I also own a Transit 350lwb that is insulated and a fridge van. I have owned the vehicle for several years. I bought it from the firm I worked for previously. I have decided to convert this and will be working to a tight budget and timeframe to get work done. I will be keeping the existing insulation. The vehicle is factory converted bi fuel on lpg with an 80litre tank and I'm hoping that I can use both of these; what may be considered negatives to my advantage.

Height is 60inches after taking into account insulation and the width is 68 after insulation. I'm hoping with the insulation and gas already in I could save a few bob. Downside less space and a crook neck and I have two tanks petrol and lpg taking up space below.
I plan to buy a caravan or source secondhand gubbins. The only area I won't skimp is the gas and electrics. I plan to put a decent chunk of the budget to a decent heating setup.

So I have a few questions

Is it easy to swap the inside from a caravan and are there brands/makes I should stay away from. In other words when I start dismantling will the old stuff fall apart.

Secondly what is the consensus on no windows. I appreciate it will be dark but as I will be dumping it here and there due to work I dont fancy it being seen as a motorhome.( even if very basic).. Are there fire restrictions that say you must have windows or you must not block say the backdoor?. Thirdly with the measurements what type of berth should I look to design.

Fourthly any tips for bed advice in a Transit.

Finally any tips or advice; even if its not what I want to hear is most welcome.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back