Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
reading
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
Hello, ive just joined up to the site.

I have converted a few vans in the past and am looking to complete another self build.

I have a question in regards to base vehicles:

A fridge box van (like the type used by supermarket delivery companies - sainsburys, ocado etc would to me seem to be excellent base vehicles. They are boxish in shape thus offer good space options. They are excellently insulated using styrofoam. They are very cheap for what you get i.e a 2011 sprinter for 5k (granted high mileage but could buy box separately and source low mileage van) the box can be transferred if there is a catastrophic failure with the vehicle. These at least are my observations. Am i missing something here as i can find no evidence on the internet of anyone converting one into a campervan?

This is the type of vehicle i had in mind:

I must be missing something but would be interested in peoples views? :)

Thanks Tom

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
they can make real nice conversions . many of my mates use prisin trucks same construction , but have windows and roof hatches and side doors and steps .
but usually over 3,500kg gvw .
fridge vans are heavy , check vehicle weight.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
That sort of thing seems popular with folks staying the season in ski resorts.

OP
OP
E

eyrewave

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
reading
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
they can make real nice conversions . many of my mates use prisin trucks same construction , but have windows and roof hatches and side doors and steps .
but usually over 3,500kg gvw .
fridge vans are heavy , check vehicle weight.
Good point with the weight. Ocado box has the side door with step. I'm thinking big boat hatch over rear bed and a couple of small tinted windows. Could keep it quite stealthy..
I guess would need Some reinforcement around cut out holes as well. Prison van option on first glance would look like more effort due to the internal room segregation and dismantling that would involve?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
it does take a few days getting rid of the cells . but you can reuse some of it as shower walls etc .
depending on what windows you use no strengthening is needed . on prison vans they dont open but the roof hatches allow air to chimney out
but fridge boxes do make good campers .
just watch the weights . its easy to build what you want then find you cant carry anything in it .
but let us know what you end up with.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
No personal experience, but did read once that fridge vans can suffer from very rusty floors. Maybe there are different types with separate bodies.

Andrew

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
as it has metal walls inside, presumably needs to be lined and also have a vapour barrier ?

frankly, I think it would be a huge amount of work converting, more work than converting a standard panel van.. and will always look like a fridge van.. a big box with a few windows will never look like a motorhome..

just my opinion..

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
it was an MY opinion Jim.. not asking for a debate

Not giving you one. My opinion; Some of the best motorhomes I've ever seen are a box with a few windows. We certainly don't need a "standard" that a motorhome must look like.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My daughter's "motorhome"...

bedford-in-kent-orchard-rima-stacking-firewoodsmall.jpg

A vehicle of immense beauty and character.

JJ :cool:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'd love one of these overland boxes with windows. Seeing more of them these days. We parked next to a superb one at a caravan club site in Lincolnshire, 26ft long and about 15ft high :)

unimogcampervan01.jpg

OP
OP
E

eyrewave

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
reading
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
I'd love one of these overland boxes with windows. Seeing more of them these days. We parked next to a superb one at a caravan club site in Lincolnshire, 26ft long and about 15ft high :)

unimogcampervan01.jpg
My brother has one like top right (although pic might be unimog?). Iveco 4x4 cherry picker, then took off the cherry picker and got a Styrofoam box made up and bolted onto the chassis. It can go anywhere, but always costs a lot to fix as mechanics aren't familiar with the 4x4 variant. That's where I got the idea o using a fridge box, as it's made with the same material as the overland campers as pictured in your post. Realistically I don't need 4x4 for what I do it's not worth the expense. Cheers

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Fridge van floors can be coroded quite bad as previously mentioned. A lot of body builders still use wooden crossmembers and dont forget the damp issues that fridge vans can suffer with.
Im only commenting as ive experienced it.

OP
OP
E

eyrewave

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
reading
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
My box . It works for us but not sure what the reception would be like on some campsites View attachment 123115
Dis you add the box on? Is that made from Styrofoam? I'm not too bothered about what campsites think as I tend to only go to ones that allow fires these in turn are more wild and relaxed. I assume you don't do campsites in that because you can go wherever the hell you like ! :)

OP
OP
E

eyrewave

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
reading
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Exp
Fridge van floors can be coroded quite bad as previously mentioned. A lot of body builders still use wooden crossmembers and dont forget the damp issues that fridge vans can suffer with.
Im only commenting as ive experienced it.
Thanks Rob that's the sort of info I'm after:)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Our Burstner has small windows and looks like they've just removed the "Group 4" stickers off a prison van, mind one or two on here think they're only fit for criminals :LOL:

unimog

Free Member
May 11, 2014
In the doghouse
Funster No
MH
Mercedes unimog 1300L
Exp
2 years
Dis you add the box on? Is that made from Styrofoam? I'm not too bothered about what campsites think as I tend to only go to ones that allow fires these in turn are more wild and relaxed. I assume you don't do campsites in that because you can go wherever the hell you like ! :)

When I brought the unimog it was fitted with a aluminium skinned box body that had been used for testing welds on pipe line work I kept the frame made it a bit taller and added a bit on the back so it has room for a permanent fixed bed . The floor .walls and roof are lined with 60 mm Kingspan insulation the room is 3mm sheet alloy and the walls are grp skinned ply . It is fitted with a webasto wet heating system and internal water tanks etc I build everthing myself and have spent a life time on Unimogs as a fitter .

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
spent a life time on Unimogs as a fitter .

Sorry to hijack the thread, but......
I needed to pick someone's brains about Unimogs, my son recently bought a 40 year old model 900, everything on it is either rusted or seized solid :rolleyes: We fitted the rear hydraulics etc last night for a 3 point linkage, still need to source the arms and drop links though. I was overhauling the pto banana box but haven't yet found a supplier for the 57.5 mm id oil seals yet, would you know where to source them ?
Thanks, Graeme.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
haven't yet found a supplier for the 57.5 mm id oil seals yet, would you know where to source them ?

Not Unimog specifically.. but may be useful..

when sourcing bearings, seals, belts, hydraulic fittings etc etc, I used Mercury Bearings, in London , if they couldn't get it .. it probably didn't exist.. worth a call. .very helpful..

unimog

Free Member
May 11, 2014
In the doghouse
Funster No
MH
Mercedes unimog 1300L
Exp
2 years
Sorry to hijack the thread, but......
I needed to pick someone's brains about Unimogs, my son recently bought a 40 year old model 900, everything on it is either rusted or seized solid :rolleyes: We fitted the rear hydraulics etc last night for a 3 point linkage, still need to source the arms and drop links though. I was overhauling the pto banana box but haven't yet found a supplier for the 57.5 mm id oil seals yet, would you know where to source them ?
Thanks, Graeme.
I use Atkinson Vos http://www.unimogs.co.uk/ most of the time because they know what they are talking about but as scotland jim says any decent bearing and seal supplier should be able to scourse them .Beware that some of the seals are very odd sizes . The 900 and 406 mogs are some of the best they just left a bit to be desired in the stopping department . Had 20 + tons behind them many times and used to rely on the trailer brakes as if the unit is on drum brakes they are not good .
There are a few with disc brakes ,they are ok

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Someone on MHF self build forum was converting a fridge van. I can't remember their name. I don't know if they got round to finishing it. It wasn't as boxy as the one your looking at. The front was sloped. I think they took the floor out, expecting lots of rust, and were pleasantly surprised. Good luck with the build if you decide to do it.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Looks like a good vehicle as a base, lots of converted vans, lorrys etc travelling around at the moment.
Here's one we saw earlier this year.
image.jpeg

Good luck with the build
There are a few other forums around that have sections on home builds on vans like yours, or even the one above. They are very popular.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back