Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
Just converted all the 12v lights in the RV to 48 LED 'light boards', what a difference in lighting and the power drop is negligable, I needed 23 seperate LED's and they did not come with the correct adaptor so I had to modify the bulbs and solder the connectors to the filaments to get them working, next step is the HID conversion on the headlights, I'm doing this properley with a projector conversion in a light with a clear lens.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Just converted all the 12v lights in the RV to 48 LED 'light boards', what a difference in lighting and the power drop is negligable, I needed 23 seperate LED's and they did not come with the correct adaptor so I had to modify the bulbs and solder the connectors to the filaments to get them working, next step is the HID conversion on the headlights, I'm doing this properley with a projector conversion in a light with a clear lens.

One of my winter projects is to upgrade our lighting in our old girl but have struck a bit of a conundrum, perhaps you can help us, What is the brightest, warm or cold? as regards to L E D s

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi rangitira not sure if this is correct but the guy who supplied mine ( ebay- china ) said the warm white where the brightest - Not fitted them yet ( 21 leds per bulb ):ROFLMAO: but at £2 a bulb inc p and p I won't have lost much if they prove to be crap :ROFLMAO:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
We have warm white in the directional spots and bright white in the ceiling lamp. Warm white is definately a softer light, bright white is more like a flourecsent light in my experience.

Northerner

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
I fitted LEDs in my current 'van and my last one. We tried the cold light versions but didn't like them and the dealer allowed me to swap them.

We now find that the best combination is warm LEDs in the living area and cold in the bathroom. I find cold light is that bit better and brighter for things such as shaving but, in the habitation area, the warm light is much more friendly and relaxing.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the power drop is negligable,

I hope you mean "power used is negligible" otherwise there's something wrong.

You should have dropped the power used by 90%.

I don't know if it makes a huge difference to an RV with the mass of batteries but it sure does to the Euro MHs with just one battery.

I must say I hate HID because that are so bright and so focussed, that's fine until a car hits a bump then we get it right between the eyes and it hurts. Probably an RV won't bounce like that.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What is the brightest, warm or cold? as regards to L E D s

Cold white is very stark so seems brighter. Warm is close to normal incandescent bulbs in looks.

Don't be afraid to fit extra LEDs to give better coverage than original, at about 90% power saving you can double up if you wish and still save shed loads of power. What I am saying is the original lighting wasn't necessarily "right" but a combination of cost and power consumption.

OP
OP
Dude

Dude

Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
These are a very 'cold' light, bit of a shock at first, thought I was in a fridge:Cool::Cool:

OP
OP
Dude

Dude

Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
I hope you mean "power used is negligible" otherwise there's something wrong.

You should have dropped the power used by 90%.

I don't know if it makes a huge difference to an RV with the mass of batteries but it sure does to the Euro MHs with just one battery.

I must say I hate HID because that are so bright and so focussed, that's fine until a car hits a bump then we get it right between the eyes and it hurts. Probably an RV won't bounce like that.

No I think I'm right as the power drop when they are switched on is negligable as in not a lot, if I had said power used difference is negligable you would indeed be correct:Tongue1:

loneranger

Free Member
Apr 14, 2010
Funster No
Personally, I have just removed all the LEDs from my van. The previous owner went mad with them. I've put back lovely crinkleglassed flourescents and it feels much cosier with a more diffused light. When on EHU I use a standard lamp which makes it definitely feel like home from home :)

Not yet had any problem with using too much electric. The Habitation battery stays pretty well topped up from the solar panel on the roof.

Happy New Year . .

::bigsmile:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007

Dude, Were all the 48 bulbs within the RV's habitation area or do they also include external 12v bulbs?

Which bulbs in your RV did you replace with LED's and from where did you acquire the LED's?

I'm sure this information will help others also contemplating changing their 12v RV bulbs to LED's :thumb:

Mick

OP
OP
Dude

Dude

Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
The bulbs I replaced are the dual 12v lighting and over counter lights, the bulbs used in these are a 21W 'Tail Light' as you can imagine in total I have about 18 21w bulbs going so the power draw is quite a lot, I was not willing to pay $20 per board to replace each 21W bulb, I got mine from E.Bay

Link Removed

But as I said the adaptors do not fit the large tail light bulb holder so I had to break the glass on the bulbs and attach the red and black wires to either side of the filament mount, the red does have to go to +ve etc by soldering then heat shrinking after, it is a cold ligh but great for seeing what you are doing, it can be toned down slightly by using opaque lenses. I only tend to use the lights for doing things that actually require a lot of light, we have a 40" motorised LED TV and when thats on the lights are off (im just building the box with motor in it today).

Last edited:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Dude,

I replaced ALL the 16 under cabinet / ceiling lights that contained 21watt bayonet bulbs with these from http://www.atenlighting.co.uk

Link Removed

I like the look and price of those you bought but I have one question, what exactly did you use to stick them into the light housing?

As you can see the LED's I bought are only 9 on a circuit board and wire to a bayonet bulb base.

I used the double sided pads from Halfords to stick number plates on, now normally these are great, when I used them on our last caravan I nearly had to break the number plate to remove it when we sold the caravan, however when used to secure the 9LEDs they become unstuck from the inside of the underside light housing after a day or two :Sad:

Mick

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Dude,

What did you use to secure your 48 LED's in the light housing?

Have they remained in place and how long is it since you fitted them and what exactly was it you used?

Cheers

Mick

OP
OP
Dude

Dude

Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
Dude,

What did you use to secure your 48 LED's in the light housing?

Have they remained in place and how long is it since you fitted them and what exactly was it you used?

Cheers

Mick

They came with some pretty decent double sided tape that seems to hold them fine, even if they came down and sat on the lens it would not be a problem as they do not get hot, even better would be to use the thick white double sided tape used to hold perspex number plates on, I used the 48 LED ones because sometimes I like a lot of light and did not want the chance of needing more, strangely a mate said it looked more homely but the light is a lot more stark, I like it but its not to everyones taste, the ones in the states for $20 come in a warm and cool white. I have changed every bulb inc the 2 external ones, in the 4 spotlights I just used a small LED side light bulb, what with the LED TV ive gone LED mad, the TV is strange evrything looks like its filmed on a very good cam corder even Blu Ray, you do get used to it but it is very strange compared to Plasma.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCzjoCNUe8c[/ame]

Attachments

• P1000855.JPG
    P1000855.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 8
  • P1000857.JPG
    P1000857.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 9

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun