Conundrum

Discussion in 'American RV's' started by barearse, Sep 16, 2014.

1. barearse

barearse Funster

Hello playmates! Another query. If it's fair to say that the majority of euro campers are diesel these days, why are so many r v's petrol or petrol/lpg? Is it lack of choice in a smaller market? Is it the emission compliance rolling out throughout Europe or something else I'm missing? Why do people choose petrol over diesel on such large vehicles?

2. keith

keith Funster

They are Yank vehicles, petrol is cheap in the USA. :rollingeyes:

It's usually Brits that want them converted to LPG.
    because of cost of fuel over here.

• Like Like x 1
  3. phase3begins

phase3begins Read Only Funster

Most RVs are American where petrol is about £2.15 per gallon against £5.87 in UK.

4. Shovelheadrob

Shovelheadrob Read Only Funster

This^^^ although even the Americans are beginning to see the logic behind running diesel engines! They have even produced a few vehicles that can be run on Propane (LPG) but it hasn't really caught on over there as it isn't half the price of regular gas (petrol) like it is here.

5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

The economy of the euro Diesel the superb power-train of an 8.1L chevy, I know which I prefer to drive and I know which one I prefer to fill at the pumps. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Those of you that knew Brian and Suzy, might know they had a American Jeep Commander I think it was called, a bloody girt big thing it was anyhoo it was a R/H drive Model Diesel powered version and Brian sent for a "Blue OX" towing kit from the US at great expence and shipping costs based on assurances that it would fit his UK model
    They gave complete assurance that it would because they only make 1 kit and it fits the full range with no exceptions gauranteed(y)

Brians face was a picture when I told him it would not fit and he even smiled
    thinking I was joking
    after some convincing that i was serious he got on to Blue OX complaining they asked if his fitter new what he was doing and what the alleged problem was
    They were stunned when I said that the intercooler was in the way.
    What Intercooler who fitted that!!!! They had never seen or heard of the diesel version:Eeek:

7. Travelbug1

Travelbug1 Read Only Funster

Petrol / LPG is handy here now as you can get into London without paying the LEZ fees !

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

But why the hell would you want to ?

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Wish my 3lt chrysler 300 was petrol.......could use the additional 250bhp at times.