Controllers/regulators/chargers .........confused (1 Viewer)

Bull

Free Member
Oct 10, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 734
Exp
Hi All. I want to fit solar panels to the roof of our new MH which arrives in a few weeks. I'm probably going to get the kit fitted by a friend who is an auto alarm/tracker fitter. I want to optimise the power I get out of the panels, as we plan to be off grid a fair bit. I am however a bit confused about some of the items that you need to make up the system. The MH has twin 90Ah leisure batteries

Apart from the 2x100w panels and associated cabling and fixings, I know I need something to regulate the voltage. I was going to fit Victron Blue Solar 15A MPPT Charge Controller (12/24V). Do I need any other hardware? I’ve read posts about smart chargers, display panels, but being a complete noob I don’t know what I need. It would be great if an expert could give me a shopping list of good quality kit.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A popular fit for monitoring the batteries is the NASA battery monitors. Gives the big picture of every bit of electricity in and out.

But otherwise a solar regulator and panels is it, give or take some wire.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi All. I want to fit solar panels to the roof of our new MH which arrives in a few weeks. I'm probably going to get the kit fitted by a friend who is an auto alarm/tracker fitter. I want to optimise the power I get out of the panels, as we plan to be off grid a fair bit. I am however a bit confused about some of the items that you need to make up the system. The MH has twin 90Ah leisure batteries

Apart from the 2x100w panels and associated cabling and fixings, I know I need something to regulate the voltage. I was going to fit Victron Blue Solar 15A MPPT Charge Controller (12/24V). Do I need any other hardware? I’ve read posts about smart chargers, display panels, but being a complete noob I don’t know what I need. It would be great if an expert could give me a shopping list of good quality kit.
The Victron units come in single & dual output if using the single you will need either a Battery master or CBE split solar charge relay to keep the engine battery topped up.

OP
OP
B

Bull

Free Member
Oct 10, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 734
Exp
I want to keep the 2 leisure batteries and engine battery topped up. Will Votronic MPPT 250 Duo do everything or will I still need a battery master?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I want to keep the 2 leisure batteries and engine battery topped up. Will Votronic MPPT 250 Duo do everything or will I still need a battery master?
That will do the job, you only need a battery master with a single output regulator.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back