Continental v Michelin

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by OllieUK, Oct 10, 2013.

1. OllieUK

OllieUK Read Only Funster

What is the recommended period between changing tyres on your motor home I have heard 5y 7y or 10y
    Michelin are a little dearer however their camper tyres are 8ply whereas the Vanco are 10ply what is the difference.
    Or is the extra money for the Michelins not worth it. :Doh:

2. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

Think it all depends on the use the MH gets
    I have Michelin camper tyres and I asked Michelin re when to change and they said max 10 yrs but depends on lots of other factors

3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Am running Vancos on the rear with Firestones on the front at the moment. The 10 ply is a stronger wall to cope with the load better. The Vancos were stamped in the German logbook when I imported the van. If you change any spec in Germany such as tyre wall ratings, you must inform the authorities. The Vancos do seem to be holding up well. I have had a few issues with the Mich in the past, but with RV tyres. Having said that they did replace, against all others advice at the time :thumb:. Could have been nasty though as 3 blowouts in 6 months was not funny :Eeek:.

4. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

It's a matter of personal choice and there are lots of opinions!
    I'm of the opinion that if you replace like for like you can't go wrong,after all if it's what the manufacturer puts on they must be right.In this day and age where every penny counts if they could put other cheaper tyres on they would!

Vlad.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Xabia

Xabia Funster

I change my tyres at 6 years old. At the end of the day you are relying on a contact patch about the same size as your shoe and you need to make sure that it is not going to fail.

Changed last year from Michelins to Vredenstein Comtrac, recommended elsewhere and apparently favoured by Dutch and German motorhomers.

They run at lower pressures than Michelins and give a more comfortable ride.

They can usually be sourced very reasonably from reifen.com or oponeo.

Mike

6. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Buy a new van and sell it before you need to replace the tyres.

Then buy a new van.

This saves you the expense of new tyres and probably, wiper blades:thumb:

• Like Like x 7
  7. OllieUK

OllieUK Read Only Funster

I like your thinking. even better if I get a new van every year then I can have a van on the road and never have to pay for road tax again. Yay! :thumb: :Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

as i have said on several other threads,my opinion is to change the tyres at no older than 7yrs.as for continental against michelin?what size are your tyres because most modern day commercial van and motorhome tyres are marked with a load index not a ply rating.most of the van and motorhome tyres carry the same load index but the motorhome tyres usually have a higher speed index.as ive said before there is nothing to say that you cannot fit commercial van tyres to a motorhome but the manufacturers have developed the camping tyre specifically for motorhomes the main differences being a much more robust sidewall construction to cope with the loaded rear axle and the roll on a motorhome,special tread compound which improves grip on wet surfaces,camping tyres also carry the m+s marking which is a requirement in a lot of countries.in answer to your question,conti vs michelin,well they are both leading brand tyres and good results should be had from both but in my opinion Michelin has the edge on Continental so i would say that they are worth the extra.
    brian

• Like Like x 2
  9. Jim

Jim Ringleader

In my experience the Michelin Camper tyre is definitely the longest lasting tyre you'll buy. They LOOK good for years' I took some of a Hymer that were 13 years old, they had done 54k and they looked like they were less than a year old. They looked good, but that was about it, they were like a fossilized nylon, they were brick hard and only good for going in a straight line in the dry and only then if you did not want to stop quick.

In recent years I've paid a premium for Michelin Camper tyres and would say they are OK on the road but the absolute WORST tyre to have if you ever want to traverse a bit of damp grass. I won't pay the premium again. There are better tyres out there for motorhomes. I have some Avons on at the moment that John (Champers) sourced for me. I've done about 15k on them, loads on grass, even when towing and they have been superb.

10. dulvil

dulvil Funster

Tyres

My autotrail chieftain 3 years old 10000 miles front tyres, even wear were bald, they were agelis camping, michelin did not reply to my question about wear so on tuesday fitted continental camping tyres. Hope these last longer

11. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I have Vanco Campers on my Van, I don't like Michelin because almost every Michelin tyre I have owned has been poor.
    I bought a car ( Jag XJ6 ) a good few years ago with Michelin tyres. After less than 20,000 miles, with little wear showing, the car behaved awfully on the road and had a vibrating noise that sounded like wheel bearings. Verdict, rear tyres has worn unevenly, from new.
    I fitted Avons and they lasted years and looked hardly worn when I sold it.
    New Michelins fitted to my wifes Beetle wore out after less than 20k, new Continentals, 30k later still plenty of tread. I have 2 Michelin tyres on my car, 3 years old and the sidewalls are cracking, tread has worn unevenly and I get the same noise as my old Jag.

I wouldn't buy Michelin out of choice now.

Allan

12. cj440

cj440 Trader

Its nothing to do with load, ply or speed ratings or anything like that. Van tyres cannot inflate to the pressures required on a Motorhome. Motorhome tyres are marked camper which allow a far greater tyre pressure to be used. Insurance companys are red hot on all this so be very carefull. (This info is not my opinion, it came from the tyre manufacturers) :thumb:

CJ.

13. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I have continental Vanco's on my van-

This is the first time I have strayed from the Michelins on this van and I have to say...

Im impressed. They are really good, and on offer were a fraction of the £178 per tyre Mich wanted.

Good in snow, the wet and more importantly the road. :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  14. mentaliss

mentaliss

having used both, I found the Mich' a better road tyre in so much that the grip was better especially noticeable in the wet and they were much quieter at touring speeds 55-70mph but they didn't last as long but I would still buy them again:Cool: