Continental Motorhomes an Observation and Query (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Looked at a heavily discounted Burstner MH today, very nice but I'd have to shell out £2000 thereabouts to bring it anywhere near the spec of my Autotrail.

This is not just this manufacturer we've really done the rounds why is it principally the German manufacturers who seemingly want a bigger share of the UK market won't supply UK spec vans. I'm talking TV aerial, cooker, awning to name a few or is it just me?

I don't expect to shell out £50k+ then have to tick the options for what I consider basics. I'm becoming bored with the dealer drone of well these are not required by continentals when they buy vans.

Its not hard is it?:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Crash hat on and crouched behind the parapet awaiting all the flack:thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I suppose it depends on what you 'believe' a UK spec van should have. Personally I wouldn't want a van with an oven so that would be a waste of money, similarly not everyone wants an awning, or even a TV aerial especially if they instead prefer a satellite dish.

Perhaps it would be better to look at what the Burstner HAS got that your Autotrail hasn't, probably larger inboard water tanks, better insulation etc, to give a more balanced view of 'value for money'?:Smile:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Brother in law has an Autotrail we have an Adria, as a comparison,,,,,

We have better insulation, better heating system, the build quality of the Adria is far better than the Autotrail, larger inboard water tank, heated waste tank, to name a few points.

His Auto trail has an awning ( we had to buy ours ), and a tv ariel ( we did not want, we wanted a sat system ).
The Autotrail hab door is on the near side.

The other key point is ( and i have first hand of both from previous van ).... Customer service from Adria is light years ahead of Autotrail.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Most continental owners wouldn't dream of cooking in their vans.

Motorhoming to them is about the outdoor life, which includes cooking outside, under the awning, no matter what the weather might do.

Pete:Cool:

Mollie Dot

Free Member
Nov 17, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
2 years
haha. yes, what continental MH owners have no interest in doing is..... cooking 3 course meals in their vans, putting awnings or safari rooms up and watching tv. Why? cos they have sunshine and don't need to spend as much time sitting inside their motorhomes. so they dont consider these things important in the vans. More important seems to be ability to go long distance without facilities, good insulation for all round touring, storage for all your bikes n trikes and leisure gear, oh and build quality. I think they're hot on that. I suppose you pays your money and takes your choice according to where, when and how you do your motorhoming:Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our Burstner came with TV aerial, cooker and awning - but it is 9 years old so maybe that's the explanation. Great van though and I would be tempted to buy another Burstner if/when we par with this one :Smile:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
On the other hand there is a certain well-known French company that deck out certain vans specifically for their English customers, in terms of kitchen facilities without losing the benefit of double floor, insulation on tanks etc - I imagine because they value us. Incroyable!!

OK you still have to buy an awning. But then, we had to pay for one of them with our Bessie.

I bet a trade member called Peter will be able to supply their name if you can't guess it!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Personally I wouldn't swap my continental van for another continental or British van. Am more than happy with what I have :Cool:.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Continental

You have all hit the nail right on the head!! It is how the Continentals use their vans that is the fundamental difference. They tour with their vans stopping just overnight and just look for an overnight spot with empty and fill up facilities.

As for cooking I have been very surprised when on weekend trips with the ACCCF ( French Caravan Club but nothing like the caravan club !!) how they eat . No haute cuisine just basic stuff often cold like salad , pâté etc

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
Continental V British vans

I think they call it consumer choice!

If your continental van was the same spec in terms of aerials, cookers etc then it would be a lot more money. They put their efforts in to top quality build, insulation and lots of things that you don't see. They can all have awnings, aerials etc fitted so if you want it then pay for it. I guess its that simple.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
My continental van came with oven and awning installed. There is wiring for a TV aerial but as I don't bother watching TV that was of no interest to me anyway. :Smile:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
LOL Maz - the brand I was on about come with an all singing all dancing TV bracket in a cupboard. Thanks; if it was ours we'd most likely automatically gain a cupboard !

It was quite amusing at the NEC listening to people like us having a mooch in the new offerings. Some like me were saying, hopeless having an oven right up there (on top of the fridge/freezer) Two burners! - they have to be joking at that price! No prep area! What a stupid place to put a rubbish bin etc etc etc

And then you had the other camp who were looking - and even measuring - the damn telly bracket. And didn't seem interested in any other feature of the build.

I could be doing them ALL a disservice; of course they might have had that exact one on order and wondered if their old telly would fit the new bracket? (In which case why not ring their dealer and say will my 42" Avtex :ROFLMAO: fit the bracket in the new van? and save the price of visiting the show anyway)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
And then you had the other camp who were looking - and even measuring - the damn telly bracket. And didn't seem interested in any other feature of the build.

I could be doing them ALL a disservice; of course they might have had that exact one on order and wondered if their old telly would fit the new bracket? (In which case why not ring their dealer and say will my 42" Avtex :ROFLMAO: fit the bracket in the new van? and save the price of visiting the show anyway)

One of the (many) things that put me off going for a 2007 Burstner Elegance instead of the 2010 Hobby I ended up with, was that there was a second TV arm that folded out over the bed - thereby wasting what could have been otherwise useful locker space. :RollEyes:

It was also a foot longer than my older Elegance but they had managed to design in less interior storage space. Now that takes some skill! :wub:

My other whinge about TV is the number of outwardly beautiful motorhomes that have had their looks ruined by an enormous pimple on the roof. :winky:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Well, I'm not sure I'm qualified to comment on this thread.........however......

We chose our van on the basis of being able to tour easily and efficiently. We want the 'outdoor' life and be able to take bikes, surfboards, power kites etc with us and have room to store all the kit.

We don't want built in TV, we don't want an awning, we don't want to 'set up home' and stay there for a week or two.

We do want quality, insulation, practical and useful 'fripperies' and the ease to travel far and wide with good fuel consumption, ease of parking, the ability to go down 'narrow lanes' and see more.

We want adventure.

For us the choice became one of size and quality (oo err matron:whatthe:)

So we chose a German panel van conversion.

I think the bottom line is that we are all different people with different needs...........and that's what make the world (and this forum hehe) go round :Smile:

Either way, MH'ing is better than not, eh::bigsmile:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
It’s down to numbers, say Rapido or Burstner design a model, the potential sales in the UK compared to the rest of Europe is small, I would say less than 10%, so why would they make a British version especially for the UK market? Answer they don’t, unless you pay..
I suspect that’s another reason why left hand drive vehicles are in the norm cheaper than the right hand drive ones, UK smaller market..,

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My Rapido has an oven (which we use) and an wind out awning (very useful if its hot). There is wiring for TV, satellite and a slide out TV bracket.
There was no aerial, but that gives a choice of fitting one, or fitting satellite.:thumb:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
If you buy a van with good insulation, nice sized water and waste tanks, winterised underneath, you can then "spec" the tv ariel, sat dish, cooker, etc that you want, the other way around however, is not possible,

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Some very interesting views, maybe someone could do a poll:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If you buy a van with good insulation, nice sized water and waste tanks, winterised underneath, you can then "spec" the tv ariel, sat dish, cooker, etc that you want, the other way around however, is not possible,

Exactly !!!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Did somebody say post a Poll? How about this

telegraph-pole_~k1324589.jpg

Or this

lafortune_owlbear.jpg

Or this

Broken Link Removed :ROFLMAO:

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
Ours came with am awning, cooker, aerial and other uk stuff. Personally I think the build quality is better on most, not all, continental vans especially the German ones.

It is, in my view, better to get a better quality van with double floors, solid construction etc and then spend time speccing it up.

Just my view though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back