Continental Headlights

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ojibway, Feb 8, 2016.

1. ojibway

ojibway Funster

Hi Funsters,
    My Sprinter came with two sets of headlights - UK and original continental ones.

Is it true or just myth that vehicles with continental headlights don't need beam benders when on UK roads?
    Because we have been driving mostly in France I have kept the continental headlight only to change them for the MOT.
    Because we have been using the MH in the UK more frequently recently I have used the UK headlights.
    Rather than keep swapping them I thought I might be able to keep the contis on if they don't need beam benders.
    Any opinions/suggestions - sensible, of course:whistle:
    Michael:cool:

2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Ask yourself this, have you ever seen a foreign registered vehicle in the uk with beam deflectors?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

I personally think you've answered you own question. You put uk lamps on for MOT. If you took it for MOT with continental lamps on it would fail. This being due to exactly same the reason we have to put beam venders on when driving on continent, to stop blinding oncoming drivers at night. Hope this helps, Lance :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

The other thing is how many MH do you see driving after dark.......................

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    Had to buy new headlamps for the Renault,to pass the test for importing it into Portugal,but will keep the UK ones,incase i ever sell it on. RHD out here would not sell very well,plus the fact that if i did sell it here,i would have to pay back.."Import ? Tax" Don't ask.
    Tea Bag

6. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Why bother changing them for the MOT when a strip of dark tape over the datum line is suffice for the MOT.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. ojibway

ojibway Funster

Not sure where the datum line is. My lenses are plain.

8. ojibway

ojibway Funster

Not that often but often enough especially in the UK coming back from France on later tunnel crossings.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ojibway

ojibway Funster

I read somewhere that continental headlights don't do the same as UK ones , ie., shine on the curb side but I'm not sure that's the case. I will try facing a garage door and looking at the light configuration. I don't want to intentionally shine the beams onto oncoming drivers in the UK.:)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

That's what I do when we drive in continent, bit of black insulation tape. Far cheaper that the beam venders usually on sale at a rip off price and doesn't leave the glue residue when you take them off back in uk (y)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. ojibway

ojibway Funster

I don't think any eastern Europeans have a clue about UK rules nor do I think UK police carry out any such checks on headlights. Our cops have no teeth when it comes to dealing with foreigners who blatantly disregard our rules!:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  12. ojibway

ojibway Funster

That's what I will probably do, when I can figure out where to place the strips!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

It doesn't even have to be late in winter months uk, 3.30pm onwards and dark which is great when you finish work at 4 or 5 to then get away for weekend. Then there's the driving in rain and fog, happy days :)

14. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

If you can't find it on google, could be worth you buying just 1x rip off price set of beam venders, they usually come with instructions for headlamp models to use in conjunction with vehicle make/year. Once you have that info, if you use regularly, put a couple of dots with permanent marker where the tape needs to be placed. After doing it a couple times you'll know instinctively, then just polish the dots off. (y)

15. ****

**** Read Only Funster

In that case i would leave the UK ones in and find the datum line for when in France. First time i took a car to Germany i got the black stickers on the lamps. I never took them off when i got home and to be honest i never relay noticed much difference when driving at night.

16. maxi77

maxi77 Funster

That is more due to the reality that our police cannot deal with foreign drivers as they cannot fine on the spot. No enforcement no deflectors.

17. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Oh..... but he/she can all be it not on the spot
    Fixed penalty notices for non-GB licence holders, even for endorseable offences
    One of the barriers to issuing fixed penalty notices for endorseable offences is that the offender must send in a driving licence and counterpart for endorsement. This is often difficult for foreign drivers who wish to return abroad before any endorsement can take place. The RSA makes provision for the DVLA to keep electronic records of penalty points so that this may be accessed by authorised officers and up-dated centrally, even without the physical presence of a licence.

For foreign licence holders, when the offender is able to provide the officer with a licence at the roadside, the officer will no longer seize it. Instead, authorised officers will check the Police National Computer for the penalty point record. If there is no such record, or the points on the record will not make the offender liable under the totting up procedures, then the officer will complete a fixed penalty notice as normal, but will record all the licence details on the fixed penalty notice, together with other evidence of identification, such as a passport number and date of birth. This process can be undergone either with or without a deposit being required.

The fixed penalty notice is then sent to the Central Ticket Office, which notifies the DVLA. The DVLA will update any existing record with the penalty points or will allocate a new record and licence number to the offender.

Where no licence is produced, the system is the same for foreign drivers and British drivers. The officer checks the record in the same way. If the record shows that the driver has a British licence and he also has a satisfactory address, then the officer will issue a provisional fixed penalty notice together with a requirement to produce the licence at a police station, in the usual way.

If, however, there is no record of a British driving licence then the driver is probably driving without a licence and, consequently, without insurance. It would not be appropriate to issue a fixed penalty notice (because more than one endorseable offence has been committed) and so the offender will be reported for summons. If he has no satisfactory address, then he may be required to pay the officer a deposit of £300 (per offence), by way of a surety against the summonses (and may have his vehicle immobilised if he fails to do so).

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Badknee

Badknee Funster

I think it is more to do with they can't be arsed.

19. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

Europeans make these Laws, we are the only ones to pay any attention to them on touring visits. Do you ever see a foreign HGV deflectors??

• Like Like x 1
  20. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Dont HGV's have a jolly little button that tilts the lights for you when driving on the left or right?